Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Was Unemployed for 2 days, started new job on Monday

Parking Lot

Old 07-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Was Unemployed for 2 days, started new job on Monday

Sorry guys I am just posting this now, but I have been going through a tough past week and now finally have time to myself and can post about what is going on.

I lost my job on Saturday the 16th of July, the day I got home from my anniversary trip with my wife. To make a long story short, my former company had a meeting in May where they told us we may be laid off / have a loss of work in November, so I started sending out applications and posting on job boards, etc. One of the companies i applied to had a no-soliciation agreement with my former company, so when my ex-company found out, they fired me for it.

While this was going on, I had already been to two interviews with my company now, I was going out to interview during my lunch hour. I was fired on Saturday, was scheduled for a third and final interview this past Monday, and then last Friday, I was offered the position. After my ex-job paid me for my vacation I had left, I was paid for three days, unemployed for two, and went back to work just this Monday.

Just wanted to say it was a scary time, and the thought of having no job and a wife was very scary. My heart goes out to anyone who is unemployed, or even worse if they are unemployed with a spouse or children. Thank God mine lasted only two days but I definatley feel for the people suffering right now. The hardest part for me was not knowing if I was going to get hired by the job I am at now!

Advertisements
Old 07-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Re: Was Unemployed for 2 days, started new job on Monday

GLAD your problem saw a fast resolution!
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
MTK
\m/

Sounds like you landed on your feet pretty quickly, good luck!
Old 07-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Thanks guys. I went from working for peanuts (10.00 an hour) at a hole in the wall place 55+ hours a week, to working for a major corporation for nearly twice the money, a steady 8 to 5 Monday thru Friday, No Weekends, Profit Sharing and all that good stuff.

I am still beleiving I experienced a genuine miracle. thanks again for the well wishes.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Great story. glad things worked out in your favor. Good luck to you on your new endeavor.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Man, that is scary. I've been there (was flying solo at the time) but that's awesome that you landed on your feet so quickly
Old 07-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Good Job Snake! Good luck
Old 07-28-2011, 03:59 AM   #8
diehard
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
Thanks guys. I went from working for peanuts (10.00 an hour) at a hole in the wall place 55+ hours a week, to working for a major corporation for nearly twice the money, a steady 8 to 5 Monday thru Friday, No Weekends, Profit Sharing and all that good stuff.

I am still beleiving I experienced a genuine miracle. thanks again for the well wishes.
Congrats man, you deserve it! I'm hoping something comes through for me soon.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #9
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Good deal!

I went thru similar crap eight years ago after being at the same place for 20 years.

Congrats!
Old 07-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #10
firstdown
Living Legend

Sounds great.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #11
That Guy
Living Legend

glad to hear it! i just got out of the air force and just started looking, but i've got some moeny saved, staying with family etc, so not so bad right now
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #12
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Awesome. Congrats man! Funny how things can go from crap to awesome that quick.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #13
over the mountain
Playmaker

Good to hear solid. I can relate, been having panic attacks lately myself due to financial stress. Driving a hour plus to and from work in a 12 yr old car with a broken AC, 2 cracks in the windshield, a tail light out, and 4 balled tires (62k miles on 40k mile warranty tires) with no spare, BGE leaving "subject to turnoff" notices, 7k miles past my service/oil change . . .

but in opposite of you, i had a dream job interview close to baltimore that would pay me double . . . what did I do? I had to cancel when they said they do a driving and criminal background check . . . awesome. I am so proud of myself for the way I can consistently kick my own ass.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #14
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
Good to hear solid. I can relate, been having panic attacks lately myself due to financial stress. Driving a hour plus to and from work in a 12 yr old car with a broken AC, 2 cracks in the windshield, a tail light out, and 4 balled tires (62k miles on 40k mile warranty tires) with no spare, BGE leaving "subject to turnoff" notices, 7k miles past my service/oil change . . .

but in opposite of you, i had a dream job interview close to baltimore that would pay me double . . . what did I do? I had to cancel when they said they do a driving and criminal background check . . . awesome. I am so proud of myself for the way I can consistently kick my own ass.
Maybe you could move to CA where they are going to pass a law making it illegal for a business to do a back ground check.LOL Keep your head up you will find something if you keep looking.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #15
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post

I was nervous about my background check as well when i found out my new company was going to do one on me before hiring. Now, I dont have a criminal record, but what I did have was a resume that only listed the past three jobs i've had, my part-time job that i had on the weekend, and the past two full-time, professional jobs i've had since graduating college. My three jobs span the past 7 years, and I did not list all the other jobs I had since starting work in 2000 at 16 years of age.

I was afraid that they would see all my other jobs on the background check and think i was hiding something, but alas nothing ever happened. I was also worried that when they went to verify my employment, they would get a bad reference from the job i got fired from. Now i dont know exactly how the background check works, or what it consists of, but i am leaning to beleive that it only checks for criminal records, court proceedings/judgements against me, and driving record, etc.. Either that or the person didn't care when they saw all the past jobs not on my application. I've had 10 jobs in 11 years, i know it looks bad, but 7 of those jobs were when i was in high school / college. I also had some at the same time being that they were part time. Since school was out in 2005, i've had 2 full-time jobs. One i was at for 3 months before moving to the last job i had, where i was at almost 6 years..

I do not like the idea of a background check, it gives them too much to discriminate on. If they eliminated background checks, everyone would be on an equal playing field divided into groups by education, work experience, etc..

The way it is now, someone may be much more qualified than me, but say they have a felony on their record from something stupid they did as a kid. (My friend 10th grade lit a mailbox on fire as a prank, he now is a felon for life) Because of that, i get the job that you really should have deserved.