Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

F... Coughing.

Parking Lot

Old 07-06-2011, 12:18 AM   #1
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

F... Coughing.

I was sick a few days ago, feel great during the day but cough occasionally. Once about 9PM hits and/or I lay down. I cough so bad that my throat is raw in the morning and I get maybe 1-3 hours of sleep per night. I took a bunch of codeine based cough syrup two hours ago and still coughing my face off.

Just wanted to give a big FU to this cough that wont let me get any Fing rest.

Advertisements
Old 07-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Re: F... Coughing.

this is the story of my 3 year old son. Nearly every night been to ever doctor about it. He just seems to get congested at night.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
Monkeydad
Living Legend

^ Tried a humidifier in his room? Vicks makes some nice, affordable models.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
firstdown
Living Legend

Daseal, you need to drink about 10 shots of burbon before you go to bed. That will clear you up and knock you out.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
^ Tried a humidifier in his room? Vicks makes some nice, affordable models.

Yes we got the Vicks one and it does work good vs. those dumb frog looking ones.

It may simply be allergies. He will be fine all day then go to lay down and cough cough cough. And it is not the room because he does it where ever he goes to sleep. Did it the whole time at the beach we were at last month.

My son is just a awful sleeper and this just adds to the issue. He has had ear tubes put in, has night terrors, the coughs, itchy eyes, etc... that all keep him up.

My daughter is going to be born at the end of July and folks are like enjoy the sleepless nights again, I tell them it is no big deal I have not slept through the night in 3 years.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Yes we got the Vicks one and it does work good vs. those dumb frog looking ones.

It may simply be allergies. He will be fine all day then go to lay down and cough cough cough. And it is not the room because he does it where ever he goes to sleep. Did it the whole time at the beach we were at last month.

My son is just a awful sleeper and this just adds to the issue. He has had ear tubes put in, has night terrors, the coughs, itchy eyes, etc... that all keep him up.

My daughter is going to be born at the end of July and folks are like enjoy the sleepless nights again, I tell them it is no big deal I have not slept through the night in 3 years.
I've been lucky and both of my kids where pretty much sleeping through the night before age 1. My 4 yr old just last night around 8pm told my wife she was ready to go to bed and my older daughter would do the same. I have allot of respect for parents that have to deal with these issue and I thank god I got lucky.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
I've been lucky and both of my kids where pretty much sleeping through the night before age 1. My 4 yr old just last night around 8pm told my wife she was ready to go to bed and my older daughter would do the same. I have allot of respect for parents that have to deal with these issue and I thank god I got lucky.

Yes it does suck, so much so it has effected my marriage. We are all so tired and irritable that we turn on each other.

We bought him this bed since he out grew his crib then toddler bed:

He loved it! Slept great in it for 3 nights. On the 4th night his night terrors began and he started "sleep walking". Well he sleeped walked right off the edge of it busting up his nose and lip right to the ER at 1am.

Now he has this bed.

We will see how long until he gets hurt on this one.

With all that said I love him to death and honestly even with his sleep issues we are very lucky. I am sure there are plenty of folks at say St. Jude's that would gladly be in my shoes.

Last edited by mredskins; 07-06-2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: pictures
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Here was my night last night:

7pm Bath

730 Books, talk about day, tuck in

8 lights out

810 coughing

9 bring him a glass a water

930 he has fallen asleep coughing has stopped

1100 I wake him up (was told by doctors to wake him after 90 minutes of sleep to help reduce chance of night terror) ask him his name have him use the potty etc... just making sure he is fully awake

1130 he is back asleep

1200 I am asleep

1245 screaming top of his lungs, night terror, can't touch him or talk to him just make sure he doesn't hurt himself

115 night terror ends try to make him feel comfortable; coughing starts again from the screaming

145 he is back to sleep

200 I am asleep

315 or around there another night terror; wife handles it

400 we are all back to sleep

530 he wakes up coughing and itchy red eyes

540 go in help him; start our day

That is a pretty normal night for us. Some nights it is worst others better. I shit you not he has slept through the night 5 times in his life, I know because we give him a star sticker on his "good job" board every time he does it and there are 5 of them.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Here was my night last night:

7pm Bath

730 Books, talk about day, tuck in

8 lights out

810 coughing

9 bring him a glass a water

930 he has fallen asleep coughing has stopped

1100 I wake him up (was told by doctors to wake him after 90 minutes of sleep to help reduce chance of night terror) ask him his name have him use the potty etc... just making sure he is fully awake

1130 he is back asleep

1200 I am asleep

1245 screaming top of his lungs, night terror, can't touch him or talk to him just make sure he doesn't hurt himself

115 night terror ends try to make him feel comfortable; coughing starts again from the screaming

145 he is back to sleep

200 I am asleep

315 or around there another night terror; wife handles it

400 we are all back to sleep

530 he wakes up coughing and itchy red eyes

540 go in help him; start our day

That is a pretty normal night for us. Some nights it is worst others better. I shit you not he has slept through the night 5 times in his life, I know because we give him a star sticker on his "good job" board every time he does it and there are 5 of them.

Wow, what is night terror? I think if he was still waking up with them I would rule out the 11pm wake up.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #10
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Wow, what is night terror? I think if he was still waking up with them I would rule out the 11pm wake up.

No night terrors are when you get stuck between REM 1 and REM 2 so by waking him you are supposedly breaking the stuck cycle. It seems to work if we don't do it he will get a few more "terrors" through the night. they are not be confused with nightmares.

I stop them if I thought they didn't work because it so painfully to have to stay up until 11 when you want to sleep so bad and you know you won't get much sleep as it is.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #11
cpayne5
Playmaker

That 90 minutes number is interesting.

I'm a sleep walker and it always happens right around the 90 minute mark after going to sleep. I assume it has something to do with sleep cycles, or whatever.

I fell out of my bunkbed when I was young, too. Mine had pullout drawers along the bottom that I fell onto from about 6' in the air. I landed on my back. Never woke up from my sleep. I had bruises all over my back.

I have found (waking up during the "dream") that I am very aware of my surroundings when I'm sleep walking. Your son probably is too, he probably just hadn't had enough time to acclimate himself to the new bed yet.

When I am sleeping anywhere but my own house, I leave the lights on so that when I wake up, I can figure out where I am fairly quickly.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
That 90 minutes number is interesting.

I'm a sleep walker and it always happens right around the 90 minute mark after going to sleep. I assume it has something to do with sleep cycles, or whatever.

I fell out of my bunkbed when I was young, too. Mine had pullout drawers along the bottom that I fell onto from about 6' in the air. I landed on my back. Never woke up from my sleep. I had bruises all over my back.

I have found (waking up during the "dream") that I am very aware of my surroundings when I'm sleep walking. Your son probably is too, he probably just hadn't had enough time to acclimate himself to the new bed yet.

When I am sleeping anywhere but my own house, I leave the lights on so that when I wake up, I can figure out where I am fairly quickly.

Yeah I agree. If you look at the pic above of his old bed he fell on the side without stairs but when he fell I heard him slide down it then a thud which was his nose/lip. Makes me think he was trying to climb out but got the sides mixed up. He didn't even know he did it. He could not roll out of that bed either because the walls of the bed are built up around the mattress.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:57 PM   #13
mredskins
Gamebreaker

The worst part about the bed was that we had to take it away. I put it in storage until he is older.

When I picked him up from day care the next day he asked if his bed was still in his room and I told no I am sorry buddy I had to take it down. He said "Me sad." He loved that bed and told everyone he was a big boy because of it. I took him to Chick Fil A (his favorite) that night as well as a cheer me up. The booth was made of the same kind of wood as his bed. He was rubbing the wood with his hand and telling me that it was like his big boy bed. Broke my heart.

He does love his new Cars bed now but still ask for the big boy bed from time to time.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #14
Schneed10
A Dude

Wow the night terror thing is no fun. Sounds like you've consulted the doc about it, that's the best thing you can do.

On the coughing and itchy eyes, I'd try an allergist if you haven't yet. He might have an issue with dust, dander, or dust mites. They can give shots to deal with it.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #15
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
The worst part about the bed was that we had to take it away. I put it in storage until he is older.

When I picked him up from day care the next day he asked if his bed was still in his room and I told no I am sorry buddy I had to take it down. He said "Me sad." He loved that bed and told everyone he was a big boy because of it. I took him to Chick Fil A (his favorite) that night as well as a cheer me up. The booth was made of the same kind of wood as his bed. He was rubbing the wood with his hand and telling me that it was like his big boy bed. Broke my heart.

He does love his new Cars bed now but still ask for the big boy bed from time to time.

Geesh, that's a sad story.

As a dad of a 3.5 YO boy, I understand how it must have felt. These accomplishments like big boy beds and potties mean the world to these little guys.