Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

F...people who tell you how to parent

Parking Lot

Old 02-17-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
mredskins
Gamebreaker

F...people who tell you how to parent

I am so tired of random people giving me parenting advice. Just because you have a small child with you doesn't give others a licenses to open their mouths about how to raise the child. God gave me this one to raise go raise yours or make one of your own, get off my back.

It is worst at work. Yesterday we had a business lunch and I offered to drive some folks. Of course Miss Laid Back Mommy of the year had to come along. She noticed my son's (2 years old) car seat is still facing backwards. Her exact words"OMG that poor child, you must turn that seat around don't be so up tight." I just rolled my eyes and choice to ignore her. It is actually the safest way for him to ride but would I have said that about her 2 years seat facing forward, nope, it is her choice.

Don't get me started on her talking about all the great stuff her son can do at 2, it is an endless stream of BS.

Advertisements
Old 02-17-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
jamf
Pro Bowl

Re: F...people who tell you how to parent

jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
KLHJ2
Inactive

Damn dude, how in the hell do you still face a 2 year old backwards? I would have to cut holes in by back seat just to give my son some leg room.

I say raise your children how you want to raise them, but realize that parents are usually over protective of their first born. I have four kids and have learned to ease up with each. When other parents are offering you advice, they are not usually trying to tell you that you are doing it wrong, they are trying to tell you how to do it with less stress based on their experience (except for my aunt Nancy). The truth is that each parent and child are different so what works for one will not work with others. Having said that, I will reiterate "raise your children how you want" and don't always get offended by others when they offer friendly parental advice.

I have a 4 month old nephew that I haven't met yet because my brother and his wife are terrified of the swine flu. Myself and my wife have had 0 symptoms and they only live 45 min away. I can understand not bringing my children, but come on dude.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
dblanch66
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
Ok that is friggin hilarious!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Those are good and welcomed advice.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
MTK
\m/

lol that chart is hilarious, love the baby on the bench press
Old 02-17-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post
Damn dude, how in the hell do you still face a 2 year old backwards? I would have to cut holes in by back seat just to give my son some leg room.

I say raise your children how you want to raise them, but realize that parents are usually over protective of their first born. I have four kids and have learned to ease up with each. When other parents are offering you advice, they are not usually trying to tell you that you are doing it wrong, they are trying to tell you how to do it with less stress based on their experience (except for my aunt Nancy). The truth is that each parent and child are different so what works for one will not work with others. Having said that, I will reiterate "raise your children how you want" and don't always get offended by others when they offer friendly parental advice.

I have a 4 month old nephew that I haven't met yet because my brother and his wife are terrified of the swine flu. Myself and my wife have had 0 symptoms and they only live 45 min away. I can understand not bringing my children, but come on dude.
I hear you don't go over board.

He fits fine we have a Britax car seat and it is made to go backwards up to 35 lbs.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry View Post

Sometimes it is overboard and the one lady in my office crosses the line many times. For the most part it doesn't bother but in the last week I have been inundated with this folks.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:13 AM   #9
MTK
\m/

In general I think people should mind their own business more often.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:29 AM   #10
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Question: a co-worker of mine saw a man driving, and in the back seat was a child, clearly young according to her, and the child was moving about. She called either the police or DSS, I don't remember which, and gave them the car info and license plate.

I was shocked that she would do that and told her so. She couldn't believe I thought she was in the wrong.

Note: she doesn't have kids.

IMO people are WAY too nosy, and sadly the internet feeds that.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:33 AM   #11
redsk1
The Starter

Yes, i definately will agree. My wife and I don't ever say anything to friends about how they should parent. However, it's kind of crazy some of the things that parents will and won't allow.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:54 AM   #12
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Only 1 time in my life have I ever saw things so bad that I felt the need to say something. It was a long time ago, i was still in the Air National Guard, and was out with my wife (we were just dating still at the time).

We were at a resteraunt in Deer Lake, PA. Not to sound discriminating, but there was a young, trashy looking girl, with her 2 kids. No lie this girl couldnt have been older than 18..I say trashy and i mean she looked like an absolute gutter slut. I cant imagine who would have done it with her....seriously.

Anyway, her 2 spawns were raising absolute holy hell. One was screaming a blood-curdeling scream so bad, that its face was as red as our jerseys...The other patrons kept looking, but were too scared to do anything.

So me, in uniform and all, walked over and POLITLEY, asked her if she could please do something, because it was ruining it for the other customers...She looked embarassed and all, but started yelling at me "F you, baby killer, and all this stuff". It was horrible. I was used to the comments and stuff, but i was kind of shocked...

Anyway, they left 2 mins later, after who i think was the manager told them they had to go. I think it was funny that the little gangster boyfriend/husband/whatever, never even made eye contact with me the whole time...

Anyway, that had to be done. But i would never call somebody out on a seat belt issue or something like that.....just dont ruin my dinner...grr
Old 02-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #13
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
In general I think people should mind their own business more often.
Words to live by right there.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:03 AM   #14
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Here's a question: What do you do if you see a person disciplining a small child (say less than 4) in a grocery store by using excessive force - slapping, hitting or otherwise violent behavior?

Do you say something? Ignore it?
Old 02-17-2010, 11:03 AM   #15
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

well like what would you guys do if you would have been in my situation. Granted, that is the extreme and not the general thing you encounter, but still....someone had to do something there. I wasn't going to take my then-girlfriend and just leave....