Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

A Return of the Running Game?

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Do You Expect a More Balanced Offense in 2012?
Yes 80 72.73%
No 30 27.27%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
30gut
Playmaker

A Return of the Running Game?

Do expect the 2012 offense to be more balanced? (i.e. run the ball more then last year)

For reference 2011- 60/40 pass/run
591 passing attempts (top 5 in the NFL more then every team except Detroit, New Orleans, New England and Atlanta)
300 rushing attempts (bottom 10 in the NFL ahead of only Green Bay, Buffalo, Arizona, Indy, Tennessee, Detroit and Tampa)

Do you want the 2012 Redskins to be more balanced?

I ask this question now because of a paraphrased quote from Bruce Allen at a WOW Chalk Talk event. (from another Redskins forum)

Random chick Q: How is the O Line?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUCE ALLEN
The OLine is improving daily and learning the system, We are expecting to see a lot more of the running game this year We have not seen Mike's run game yet. and with RG3 in the pocket we want to draw the defenders in the pocket and explode of the run.
Do you think this statement is mere GM/coachspeak or do you think we're really gonna see more of the Mike Shanahan running game?

Last edited by 30gut; 06-01-2012 at 11:56 AM.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-31-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: A Return of the Running Game?

Which question do you want to be the poll question?
Old 05-31-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Which question do you want to be the poll question?
The first one, thanks man.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

My guess is it'll be a 60/40 ratio of pass to run. (depending on the match-ups and score of course)
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
My guess is it'll be a 60/40 ratio of pass to run. (depending on the match-ups and score of course)
Do you want more balance or maintain 60/40?

What do you make of Bruce Allen's comment? Coachspeak?
Old 05-31-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

I expect to see more of a lean to the run than 60/40 but I'd still expect it to be about 55/45 pass for a few reasons:
-Kyle is a passing play caller. He likes to throw the ball on first down to set up shorter distance on 2nd and third down where he prefers to run. He also seems to like to use the pass to set up the run on things like draws and delays. Plus, with RG3, using the threat of the bootleg pass will open up huge running lanes because the backside can't pursue so he will use play-action to set up the run.
-Scores will probably dictate it. We are still an improving team, not yet a team that can expect to enter the 4th quarter on most Sundays with a lead. Chances are we will either be close enough in score that the entire playbook is still viable or behind and needing to pass to catch up.
-RG3 needs to learn how to play QB at this level. The training wheels won't be on like they were with Campbell for 3 years. The plan is for RG3 to be a weapon with his arm first, then his legs for years to come. In order for that to come to fruition, he's going to need plenty of game reps and action. Expect them to expose him to many passing opportunities.

Personally, I don't care about passing vs. running ratios. All I care about is scoring points. My preference in watching a game is wide open air it out football, but I know many Redskins fans hanker for the long lost days of the Hogs and 3 yards & a cloud of dust football. Whatever works for us to put up 24+PPG this season is just fine with me!

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
imaskin4life
Special Teams

I think it will be more balanced than last year but I think we will still pass more than run. Maybe 55/45 ratio. I think we will have a goal of 50/50 but will be forced to throw the ball more to be more effective. I think the line next year will be better but not quite good enough to run the ball as much as we would like to.

It would be great if we could have a succesful running attack next year. This would control the clock, minimize turnovers, wear down the defense, and set up the big play.
imaskin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
JPPT1974
Special Teams

It has been a pretty long time since the team has a running game. Since Portis left town. Hopefully they will balance the running with the passing now that RGIII is in town.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:28 PM   #9
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
The first one, thanks man.
Will do it when I get to a computer, or another mod will

Last edited by SmootSmack; 05-31-2012 at 10:28 PM.
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Evan Royster needs to start. He had an impressive 5.9 yard per carry average last year. I like Helu Jr. too, but there's something about Royster's style of running that is more impressive. Hightower can run the ball well too, but he's susceptible to injury and couldn't withstand the bulk of the carries as the year wore on.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:40 PM   #11
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Should have a top 10 to top 5 running attack this year.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:45 PM   #12
TheSmurfs22
The Starter

I am excited to see what our versatile backfield does this year along with RGIII.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:47 PM   #13
TheSmurfs22
The Starter

This has nothing to do with our running game but I am reallly psyched to see what Jenkins does after a year away. He showed great promise in the pre-season last year. Hope he can pick up where he left off and become an impact player.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:40 PM   #14
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Do you want more balance or maintain 60/40?

What do you make of Bruce Allen's comment? Coachspeak?
I'm fine with whatever is getting the job done. If the running game is open, I want them to control the clock and eat it up. If they are stacking the line daring our rookie QB to beat them, I want them to air it out. It really is dependent on the situation and our opponent to be honest with you.

Do I think BA's comments were coach speak? Definitely not on this issue. When we look back at last years running game, we saw a offensive line that was banged up, and our best OL out quite a few games with injury and suspension. Our depth on the OL hurt us really bad last year and it wasn't really until the latter part of the season that the offensive line started to gel and the running game starting opening up.

Look at Helu's rushing yards in the months of Nov/Dec compared to that in Sept/Oct.
Roy Helu Stats, Splits - Washington Redskins - ESPN

Look at Royster's month of December.
Evan Royster Stats, Splits - Washington Redskins - ESPN

He tore it up and so did the running game overall.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:43 AM   #15
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
I'm fine with whatever is getting the job done. If the running game is open, I want them to control the clock and eat it up. If they are stacking the line daring our rookie QB to beat them, I want them to air it out. It really is dependent on the situation and our opponent to be honest with you.

Do I think BA's comments were coach speak? Definitely not on this issue. When we look back at last years running game, we saw a offensive line that was banged up, and our best OL out quite a few games with injury and suspension. Our depth on the OL hurt us really bad last year and it wasn't really until the latter part of the season that the offensive line started to gel and the running game starting opening up.

Look at Helu's rushing yards in the months of Nov/Dec compared to that in Sept/Oct.
Roy Helu Stats, Splits - Washington Redskins - ESPN

Look at Royster's month of December.
Evan Royster Stats, Splits - Washington Redskins - ESPN

He tore it up and so did the running game overall.
Royster was definitely more impressive. Both he and Helu Jr. did tremendously well down the stretch last season.
REDSKINS4ever is offline   Reply With Quote