\m/

Kirk Cousins pick 4.7

Kirk Cousins Draft Profile – NFL.com

let's talk about our new QB here

Advertisements
Old 04-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
GusFrerotte

Re: Kirk Cousins pick 4.7

I don't think the Cousins pick was a bad one. He automatically was better than Beck, and probably Rex. He isn't an exciting QB like Robert is, but he was pretty proficient at MSU, and is NFL caliber. To those doubting the pick, I ask you, would you really want Beck to have to play for us again or a bona fide QB that actually has the talent to come in in an emergency situation and at least keep us competitive?
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
MTK
\m/

I really like this pick. I see Rex sticking around for one more year as the primary backup, but we move on from him next year and Cousins is the #2. Good insurance policy, about damn time we have a quality backup to develop.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I saw some of the ESPN guys hating on this pick. Did any of them see John Beck play? Or see Grossman throw passes a rookie would make? We needed to upgrade the position and I'm glad we got a guy that played big time college ball at a high level. Doesn't have the physical skills that RG3 does but he knows how to play QB. Cousins should fit in real well with the Shanahan's offense. I like this pick a lot.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I really like this pick. I see Rex sticking around for one more year as the primary backup, but we move on from him next year and Cousins is the #2. Good insurance policy, about damn time we have a quality backup to develop.
Yep, smart guy who can make the throws. Just needs pro coaching. Can hang out behind RG3 and be a guy who gives you solid performances for those few games when RG3 is hurt.

And three years from now, you pull an Andy Reid and trade him for a 2nd rounder a la AJ Feeley and Kevin Kolb.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

In and of itself I'm not at all surprised they took Cousins. After the Senior Bowl, we talked about how much they loved him. And remember when I had said the two most likely scenarios were Peyton/Cousins or RG3/Grossman.

That it'd be RG3/Rex AND Cousins (after moving picks to get RG3) is stunning...but I love it
Old 04-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
The only negative here is that when RG3 struggles you know what's going to happen. People are going to be calling for Cousins.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #8
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
The only negative here is that when RG3 struggles you know what's going to happen. People are going to be calling for Cousins.
Oh well, can't fix stupid.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
MTK
\m/

Notes:
Son of a minister. Also played baseball (pitcher) and basketball as a Michigan prep. Suffered a broken ankle as a high school junior. Redshirted in 2007. Appeared in five games in ’08 as Brian Hoyer’s backup, completing 32-of-43 pass attempts (62 percent) for 310 yards with two touchdowns and one interception. Started 12-of-13 games in ’09 and passed 198-328-2,680-19-9 (60.4). Did not start against Illinois (right ankle). Made all 13 starts in ’10, totaling 226-338-2,825-20-10 (66.9) despite battling a sprained left ankle and sprained left (non-throwing) shoulder beginning in mid-October. Set the school record for single-season TD passes in ’11 after throwing for 267-419-3,316-25-10 (63.7) in 14 starts. A three-time captain, Cousins was only the second sophomore captain in school history. Leaves as MSU’s career record holder in TD passes (66), passing yards (9,131) and passing efficiency (146.1 rating). Produced a 27-12 record in 39 career starts, finishing as the winningest quarterback in Spartan history. Graduated in December with a kinesiology degree.

Positives:
Rare intangibles and leadership ability. Can rally a huddle and inspire a locker room when the chips are down. Outstanding work habits. Can line up and direct an offense — knows the responsibility of every player on the field. Very professional approach — takes pride in his craft, pays attention to small details and is meticulous in his preparation. Film junkie. Clean footwork — experienced in a pro-style offense working under center and from the shotgun. Quick to set and throw. Good release quickness — showed improvement as the season progressed and did not take a sack in the last five games. Sells play-action and can identify matchups and find open receivers. Effective on bootlegs and rollouts. Tough and gritty. Stands in the face of the rush and delivers. Very accurate short-to-intermediate touch passer — good timing, touch and placement. Produced 3-0 career record vs. archrival Michigan and rose to the occasion on big stages.

Negatives:
Has a narrow frame susceptible to taking a pounding. Can be too cerebral and mechanical with his reads. Has displayed a tendency to overthink the game, resulting in holding the ball too long. Average ball velocity — ball will flutter and appear to die outside the numbers if he cannot step into it. Lacks ideal arm talent to rip it deep. Not a scrambler and cannot improvise or create many plays when the pocket moves. Many throws are simple and predetermined.

Summary:
Has the intangibles and intelligence to develop into a highly efficient, dink-and-dunk, rhythm passer. Resemblance to 49ers QB Alex Smith and must continue developing physically to survive the toll of an NFL season. Could thrive with crisp coaching and confidence-building play-calling in a precision passing game such as that of the Texans, Redskins, Patriots or 49ers.

ProFootballWeekly.com - Draft Prospect - Kirk Cousins
Old 04-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #10
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
That's crazy stupid. That's "the people who say that have no business being football fans" stupid. That's "I hope they don't reproduce" stupid.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

My friend (a Ravens fan) texted me cuz I'm at work saying, "You guys have 5 QBs on the roster now! Wtf?" So I had to come check it out. But seeing who we picked up and that we let Beck go, I'm actually happy with this move. And my friend is an idiot. :/

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #12
VegasSkinsFan
Impact Rookie

Worth the pic just because we released beck
VegasSkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
NM Redskin
The Starter

Old 04-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #14
CapitalDefense

Our only pick, minus RG3, who makes the team.

Could be our new Gus.
CapitalDefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #15
WillH
The Starter

Awesome move. I know we have other more immediate needs, but the value of QB these days, as we are all well aware, is very inflated. With a QB in the 4th, especially one with Cousins' upside, you have a low-risk-high-reward investment.

A 4th round pick is almost always a backup at first at any position. While, at another position, like say G or T, you may have a potential starter in a few years, with a QB you may get not only a solid backup at a key position, but also a potential bargaining chip worth a whole lot more than this years 4th rd.

Beside, we didn't have a true NFL quality backup.

Also (knocking on wood as I type this), it is insurance for our all-in trade for RG3, and if things don't play out as we hope, we don't necessarily have to start from scratch 3 years from now.
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote