Jurgensen thinks Campbell will be back

Thought this was worth it's own thread to discuss:

D.C. Sports Bog - Jurgensen thinks Campbell will be back

Advertisements
Old 12-14-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Re: Jurgensen thinks Campbell will be back

For the sake of CONTINUITY Snyder should bring everyone back. This may be a very strange set up but it somehow seems to be working, so just leave it alone. How can we compete with the Eagles, Giants and NY if we're always changing things?
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
davy
Impact Rookie

I hope he's wrong about Sherm Lewis not coming back.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
For the sake of CONTINUITY Snyder should bring everyone back. This may be a very strange set up but it somehow seems to be working, so just leave it alone. How can we compete with the Eagles, Giants and NY if we're always changing things?
Meaning Sherm calls plays? What is the point of bringing back a coach who failed miserably when controlling the team...and the team didn't start winning and playing well until he was stripped of the duties?

This PROVES that Zorn can't coach the team to wins.

Campbell has earned a return in my opinion, I'll be shocked if he is allowed to get away. If he does, he'll have a great career somewhere else.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
freddyg12
Playmaker

Note at the end he says that "if he draws interest, then you get a 1 and a 2." that sounds as if Sonny only believes JC will be tendered for a year.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:22 AM   #6
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Meaning Sherm calls plays? What is the point of bringing back a coach who failed miserably when controlling the team...and the team didn't start winning and playing well until he was stripped of the duties?

Campbell has earned a return in my opinion, I'll be shocked if he is allowed to get away. If he does, he'll have a great career somewhere else.
Well Zorn may not be a great playcaller and game manager, but the players seem to like him and they have not quit on him. He still puts in the game plan and coaches Campbell.

As for JC you're 100% in his corner, and this is the type of game that JC will play well in. But like I've said before, until he can win one for us when the game is on the line, or carry the offense for a few games then to me he's just going to be a middle of the pack QB. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing. But I do hope Sonny is right, we need to bring him back.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:24 AM   #7
MTK
\m/

Quote:

I think what has been proven more than anything is that Zorn was wearing too many hats and playcalling wasn't his specialty.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:30 AM   #8
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I think what has been proven more than anything is that Zorn was wearing too many hats and playcalling wasn't his specialty.
So what's he doing now other than running practices and making jokes about salad tongs in the post-game interviews?

I agree, he had too many duties, but I don't think he's capable of being a head coach. QBs coach seems to be his most-qualified position, as long as he can't call plays.

He's an incredibly likable person...to me and the players obviously...but I just don't think he can handle the top job.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
Pocket$ $traight

Now I am sure that there are still plenty of Campbell haters out there and frankly, I am not absolutely sold on him yet. However, I think it is hard for anyone to argue that the line and playcalling had a lot to do with his poor play starting with last year and continuing deep into this year.

Here is a newsflash, this line is still pretty crappy. I would say at best it is average, yet Campbell looks pretty damn good the last few weeks. Anyone who thinks the team would be better with Bradford or McCoy or Clausen, all you need to do is watch the portion of yesterday's game with JaMarcus Russell. He is the posterchild for why you absolutely do not want to take a QB with a high first round pick. If they fall on their face, your team is going to be a bottom feeder for years.

Restrict JC and build the line with our picks. It is the only plan that makes sense.
Pocket$ $traight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #10
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Latest rumor has the Redskins eyeing Jevan Snead as a late 2nd/early 3rd rounder (means they would have to trade of course). Not as a starter right away, but as someone that can be developed over the next couple of years. Could mean the end of Colt Brennan more than anything it means about Campbell. Snead had a poor year, but I think he's pretty solid.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #11
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

I certainly hope we keep campbell. He didn't get much help from his line yesterday, but he played an outstanding game. I don't think he's pro-bowl material and I don't think he's got what it takes to single-handedly take the team on his back and come from behind and win games, but he's good enough. There are no 2010 free agent QBs who would not constitute serious downgrades from campbell and the QBs available in the draft are entirely unimpressive. They are all project QBs at best. Whether there's an extension to the CBA or not, we should sign Campbell to an extension of some sort in the off-season: Something in the 3-4 year range that rewards him for what he's done thus far, but also ensures that he continues to work hard to take it to the next level and earn a bigger deal.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:01 AM   #12
MTK
\m/

Quote:
So what's he doing now other than running practices and making jokes about salad tongs in the post-game interviews?

I agree, he had too many duties, but I don't think he's capable of being a head coach. QBs coach seems to be his most-qualified position, as long as he can't call plays.

He's an incredibly likable person...to me and the players obviously...but I just don't think he can handle the top job.
I don't know, being a head coach?

There are plenty of coaches that don't call plays, it doesn't mean he's now walking around twiddling his thumbs. There's still plenty of responsibility on his plate.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:05 AM   #13
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I don't know, being a head coach?

There are plenty of coaches that don't call plays, it doesn't mean he's now walking around twiddling his thumbs. There's still plenty of responsibility on his plate.
While there are plenty of coaches who don't call plays, I don't know of any who are told by their owners/GMs that they CAN'T. Given the choice, is there any doubt Zorn would choose to call plays again?

As to his other responsibilities, Zorn is responsible for the roster and he hasn't made Danny Smith pull ARE from punt return duty. That alone is deserving of firing right there.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #14
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Well now that the offense is hitting on all cylinders and Campbell is playing his best football of his career so far, do you really want to make major changes to the offense? If Sherm Lewis, Jim Zorn, and everybody else is out of D.C. at the end of the season, it may mean yet another new offensive scheme for everybody to learn. If this is the case, do you want to keep Campbell? He'll have to start from scratch just like he's done the past few seasons.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #15
MTK
\m/

At least with Shanahan JC wouldn't be starting completely over since the basics of the WCO would be there.