Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

We've got big trouble on the OL.

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

We've got big trouble on the OL.

Jammal Brown out, knee surgery for Kory L., Willie Smith MRI on knee (last two per today's WaPo). Based on their injury histories (especially Brown's), I think it would be wise for the Skins management to assume that neither Brown nor Kory L. will be ready to start the season opener.

Predictably, Mike Shanahan is putting out meaningless platitudes (coach-speak) about his faith in the reserve OL's. I don't believe Mike for one second on this one. I expect the Skins to beat the bushes for a trade in order to get an experienced OL starter on the roster ASAP. They need a player now so he can learn the system and work with his new linemates as much as possible prior to the start of the season.

Advertisements
Old 07-31-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Re: We've got big trouble on the OL.

Regarding the trade in 2010 for Jammal Brown, the Redskins should have kept that 3rd round pick. Mike Shanahan should know by now that Brown's hip will never heal and as long as Browin plays professional football, this bad hip of his will be a perpetual thing until his career is over. He's not a 16 game starter any longer at this point in his career and because of that bad hip, he's proven that the last couple of seasons. I'm hoping Willie Smith could be able to step in like he did last season and play RT like he played LT.

Didn't Mike Shanahan say sometime last season that Jammal Brown was going to have to prove that he could stay healthy in order to remain with the Redskins? Looks like Brown is taking up a roster spot.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

oh no, lets just say what everyone has this whole offseason: our oline is under rated and solid, our guys will be ready for the season, RG3 will make our oline look better blah blah blah.

Heard that Kory L surgury coming into work and this was unscheduled. Not good at all.

I hope our third round pick is ready to contribute immediately.

He Gets Us
Old 07-31-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

I think Maurice Hurt or Josh LeRibeus can play in Lichtensteiger's place. I'm having more concern for the right tackle position where the Redskins are not as solid as they were with the interior of the offensive line.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

We need more receivers.

Lol, the same logic still seems to be in effect. Have 8 or 9 candidates to make the roster at receiver, add more and talk about the importance of competition.

One or two injuries on the line talk about faith in reserves and importance of depth.

Well at least the importance of depth part is new but still it drives me nuts how they keep adding receivers, and sometimes keeping the wrong ones (Joey Galloway anyone?) instead of looking for O-Lineman.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 07-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
oh no, lets just say what everyone has this whole offseason: our oline is under rated and solid, our guys will be ready for the season, RG3 will make our oline look better blah blah blah.

Heard that Kory L surgury coming into work and this was unscheduled. Not good at all.

I hope our third round pick is ready to contribute immediately.

Heard about Kory last night, but heard about Willie Smith on the way to work this morning. Im really high on Willie Smith, im hoping this is just a mild sprain.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
We need more receivers.

Maybe he can be converted?

Redskins find some line depth with Jordan Black | ProFootballTalk
Old 07-31-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
I think Maurice Hurt or Josh LeRibeus can play in Lichtensteiger's place. I'm having more concern for the right tackle position where the Redskins are not as solid as they were with the interior of the offensive line.
Fair enough. Ironically I'm not to worried about the interior. It's the tackle position that bothers me.

I will say this though in thinking about it and getting over my rage this is a perfect chance for Compton to show he can be a day 1 starter.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Old 07-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Regarding the trade in 2010 for Jammal Brown, the Redskins should have kept that 3rd round pick. Mike Shanahan should know by now that Brown's hip will never heal and as long as Browin plays professional football, this bad hip of his will be a perpetual thing until his career is over. He's not a 16 game starter any longer at this point in his career and because of that bad hip, he's proven that the last couple of seasons. I'm hoping Willie Smith could be able to step in like he did last season and play RT like he played LT.

Didn't Mike Shanahan say sometime last season that Jammal Brown was going to have to prove that he could stay healthy in order to remain with the Redskins? Looks like Brown is taking up a roster spot.
As it turns out, it was an awful trade.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

List of Tackles we passed on in the 3rd and 4th rounds:

Donald Stephenson
Bobbie Massie
Brandon Mosley
Zebrie Sanders

All considered solid talents in the draft. Stephenson should have been the pick in the 3rd round

He Gets Us
Old 07-31-2012, 09:14 AM   #11
skinsfan69
Living Legend

If everyone was healthy the line was still very questionable. I think the front office/Shanahan puts a value on wr's over o-line and that makes no sense to me. This is why I don't see this team winning more than 4-6 games. A shaky o-line and a rookie QB is a bad combination. Next off season this MUST BE the number one priority.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:16 AM   #12
MTK
\m/

Not sure why people think Shanahan doesn't value the line. How many guys has he drafted now since he took over?
Old 07-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #13
heybigstar
Special Teams

Damn, I think you are right.

Question marks at LG and RT, both out with injuries, our RG isn't very good.
I can depend on TW and WM, but I don't know man..... we need to develop at least 2 OL into starters that are inexperienced and not very high draft picks.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:25 AM   #14
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Kory Lich was just a minor clean-up procedure. Don't overreact.

Yes, he had a big injury, but this was not a major surgery. He should be ready Week 1.

With that said, we should definitely have a backup plan.

We've always had O-line issues, which is why these immobile QBs we've had got destroyed. RGIII's running ability should help hide some of the weaknesses on the line in front of him. Sure, a solid line would be ideal for a rookie QB, but with the state of our line, we have the best-possible QB to pair with that weak line.

I think we'll need Leribeus to step up. Compton has some promise too. We did not completely ignore the O-line in the offseason. I'd still like to see us make a deal for a solid RT though. What's the status with that Raiders trade rumor?
Old 07-31-2012, 09:28 AM   #15
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Now this is more like it! Makes me feel we are in mid-season form already! Instead of arguing over politics and religion, we can now focus our attention toward the falling sky that is our offensive line!