Washington Post: Redskins Training Camp Observations

Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Washington Post: Redskins Training Camp Observations

Thought a fresh TC thread might be a good idea

Redskins training camp: Observations from Day 3 - The Insider - The Washington Post

I must say I'm very pleasantly surprised by what I'm hearing about Banks these past few days.

Advertisements
Old 07-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Washington Post: Redskins Training Camp Observations

thanks smoot
Old 07-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

love to hear helu off to the races!!
Old 07-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
mbedner3420
The Starter

I really don't want to spend a roster spot on Banks, but the way he has been playing makes it seem inevitable.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Solid competition at WR. I like it. We may not have world-beating talent but whoever makes the roster should contribute positively.

It's too early to be concerned but TC reports from all 3 days paint Cousins as an interception machine. There are seven mentions alone of Cousins picks. But of course he is a rook just finding his sea legs.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Old 07-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Solid competition at WR. I like it. We may not have world-beating talent but whoever makes the roster should contribute positively.

It's too early to be concerned but TC reports from all 3 days paint Cousins as an interception machine. There are seven mentions alone of Cousins picks. But of course he is a rook just finding his sea legs.
Well he's not our guy anyway so as long as they don't say that about griff I'm fine lol.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
FRPLG
MVP

If KC's ints become a problem for us this year then our season has taken a decidedly poor turn.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

IMO better to throw the INT's now than in a game.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Saw Smoots post in the other thread about Sellers retiring. Guess he knew his demise was right about the corner and father time caught up with him.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 07-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #10
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post

It might take him anywhere from 2-3 seasons before he finally "gets it" and becomes a solid backup qb. Idc as long as he spends on those seasons on the bench. He's a long-term developmental prospect.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #11
Meks
Pro Bowl

Good reads, agree onthe banks
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Old 07-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #12
iRepDMV
Special Teams

Got a chance to go to Training Camp today (7/28). Heres a few of my observations:

-D. Hall is still D. Hall. On the very first play of this one on one drill he was lined up against Garcon. Garcon hit him with a move and beat him deep to receive about i'd say a 60 yard pass from RG3 (Thrown on the money). Raheem Morris let Hall hear it.

-Few plays later Garcon beat Hall again on a 12 yard curl route. (Yes D. Hall was hearing it from the crowd)

-D.Hall defended Moss nicely on one play batting the ball down. Afterwards Hall raised his arm up in the air after the crowd finally cheered for him in a sign of relief. D. Hall has to step it up! The whole secondary has to step up! Josh Wilson got beat a couple times as well.

-Reed Doughty let a Grossman Int sleep out of his hands. Right after the play he dropped down to do a couple of push ups.

-Two WRs who stood out to me were Pierre Garcon and Brandon Banks. Garcon appeared to be RG3's favorite target today. He hauled in passes after passes. He was clearly the best WR out there. Yes I said Brandon Banks. Of course he had a few drops but he also had a few good catches. (Right now I have him ahead of Alderick Robinson based off today.)

-We already know how elusive RG3 is but man, he looks even better in person! There was one play were the defense was really coming at him, he stepped up in the pocket and side-arm threw it to Cooley for about 9 yards. (For a minute he looked like Michael Vick on the play).

-There were several plays where RG3 looked like Vick. I didnt realize how elusive Griff actually was. I knew he had EXCELLENT straight line speed. One play Orakpo was coming at him, he juked back so quick and threw a bullet to someone(cant remember who) for about an 8 yard gain. Sheesh having a mobile QB helps big time.

-One play none of the WRs could get open which forced RG3 to jet out of the pocket. When I say jet, I mean RG3 was out of there! He scrambled out the pocket and glided along the sideline for like a 30 yard run. Hes a BLUR in person I tell ya!

-On another rush play RG3 scrambled out of the pocket and rushed for like a 15 yard gain. He zipped through 2 defenders which set the crowd off in cheers.

-From the 11 on 11 action I got to see, RG3 looked flawless. He only threw about 2 or 3 incompletions and they were from dropped passes. He made it look so easy out there shredding the secondary in pieces.

-Im sure you guys are aware of the 2 back to back ints thrown by Kirk Cousins. One was caught by Keenan Robinson the other by Richard Crawford. Cousins looked very hesitant today.

-We saw the good Rex today. I think he is pretty much a lock as the #2 QB. He threw a couple of nice passes...deep and short.

-Cooley was catching alot of 6-7 yard seam routes.

-The D-line got the best out of the O-line today. They were in each Qb's face in a hurry! Its hard to tell if our d-line is really that good or is the o-line just struggling a bit.

-Roy Helu looked like the best back today. Ripping off big gains weaving effortlessly threw defenders.

-Orakpo was an animal today. He was constantly in the backfield disturbing RG3. If contact was allowed Orakpo would have had about two sacks on RG3 today. He lined up on both the right and left sides on defense.

-Alfered Morris caught my attention today. He showed off his powerful and bruising running style today as he trucked threw defenders on several occasions.

-I was hoping to see alot out of Hankerson and Morgan. They both were pretty much invisible out there. They both dropped a pass on consecutive plays which had the crowd looking around in panic mode.

-Evan Royster didnt have a bad day himself. He broke off a 40 yard run that got the crowd super excited. Other than that one play the rest were 7-8 yard gains.

-Santana Moss looked excellent in the slot. The position fits him perfectly. He hauled in a couple of 15 yard RG3 strikes.

Hope to witness the Washington Redskins win a Super Bowl before my eyes . . . HTTR!

Last edited by iRepDMV; 07-29-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #13
iRepDMV
Special Teams

RG3 after he threw a strike.

RG3 & Helu in the backfield.

RG3 with Orakpo coming head on at him!

Just more of RG3. Earlier I said I'll try hard not to pay too much attention to him but it was DIFFICULT!

Hope to witness the Washington Redskins win a Super Bowl before my eyes . . . HTTR!
Old 07-28-2012, 11:36 PM   #14
artmonkforhallofamein07
Pro Bowl

Nice write up thanks! Was waiting for some of our guys to post their impressions!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:46 AM   #15
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

I've asked this twice now, but when you go to training camp, do the skins practice on the field closest to the fans in 11 on 11? Or do they do it on the field away from the fans (like how it was when I went to training camp 2 years ago)