Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Week 8: Redskins Vs Steelers Matchup Thoughts

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
milellie111

Week 8: Redskins Vs Steelers Matchup Thoughts

Will be a tough game playing in Pittsburg. I expect our offense to score under 20 this week. Anything is possible with RG3 back there, but being realistic, i expect the Steelers to hold down his rushing and spy him alot being that they have stud LBs in Harrison, Woodley and Timmons. The Steelers defense even without Polamalu is good and their defensive coordinator is crafty and has been one of the best for years. People are calling the Steelers defense old (like the Ravens) but do not count them out. Yes, weeks 1 and 3 they gave up over 30 points, but week two, they only allowed 10 points to the Jets, beat Philly and held them to 14 points and just Sunday ,beat the Bengals in their stadium keeping them to 17 points. More importantly, they held one of the leagues top 5 WR's AJ Green to just 1 catch and 8 yards. The same AJ Green who torched us for 9 catches 183 yards.

Expect our defense to look the same if not worse from the Giants game. The Steelers have one of the top receiving corps in the league (probably better than the Giants) in Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders. Wallace has world class speed and Brown is not too far behind. Brown is also a dangerous return man. Heath Miller as their TE has reemerged this year and has become a touchdown machine. Not only will our defense have problems covering their speedy WR, most likely our secondary will give 10 yard cushions all game long in hopes of not getting burned deep only to give up first down after first down. And oh yeah, we always seem to have problems covering TE's.

If we can not generate any pressure on Roethlisberger, it's a losing battle for our defense. London Fletcher may not even be playing for us this week. Problem with Roethlisberger is that he is dangerous with pressure as he can escape and is much more mobile than Eli Manning was last week. Either we don't blitz and let Roethlisberger scramble or sit in the pocket all day or we do blitz, it gets picked up and we leave one of the worst secondary's in the league exposed to some of the fastest WRs in the league.

Not much hope for our WR's of Hankerson, Moss and Josh Morgan of torching their secondary. They will probably spotlight Moss anyway the few times he is in the game to take that option away. (Steelers will look at last weeks tape against the Giants). Garcon is out. Fred Davis out. Cooley may not even be factor or play much considering this is his first week back.

Maybe we can get the running game going with Alfred Morris and keep their offense off the field but the Steelers run defense has been pretty stingy, only allowing a 100 yard rusher once so far this season(Mcfadden).

I know, with RG3 anything is possible and this is the NFL anything can happen any week. But being a realist, RG3 cannot play QB, WR, Safety and CB. Go into the game with realistic expectations and you will not be dissapointed if we get blown out, or lose another close one. However, i am hoping for a win, just not too confident.

Steelers: 27 Redskins: 13
milellie111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Re: Week 8: Redskins Vs Steelers Matchup Thoughts

Why don't we just run up the white flag now and get it over?
Old 10-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
Monkeydad
Living Legend

We'll beat Pittsburgh. Our D has been improving over the last 3 games and honestly, they played a good game until that last pass by Eli. Before that play, we held Cruz to 54 yards, Nicks to 53 and Bradshaw had only run for 43 yards on the day. We're playing better, we just need to stop giving up random big plays.

The Steelers have a lot of injury issues too and aren't what they used to be on either side of the ball. They're down to their 3rd-string RB and missing some key defensive players. We can definitely outscore them.

Skins 27

Steelers 17
Old 10-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Two teams that are roughly equal in skill. Pittsburgh has issues on their coaching staff as well, so the game will probably be decided with our defense on the field against their offense. On the road, that's probably not good for us.

We'll probably put up 21+, but I sense a lot of man to man coverage this week and sending extra guys to get to Roethlisberger, who is much better at recognition at the LOS than he was when we saw him four years ago.

I think Griffin is the better QB in this game though, so its a tough pick.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by milellie111 View Post
Will be a tough game playing in Pittsburg. I expect our offense to score under 20 this week. Anything is possible with RG3 back there, but being realistic, i expect the Steelers to hold down his rushing and spy him alot being that they have stud LBs in Harrison, Woodley and Timmons. The Steelers defense even without Polamalu is good and their defensive coordinator is crafty and has been one of the best for years. People are calling the Steelers defense old (like the Ravens) but do not count them out. Yes, weeks 1 and 3 they gave up over 30 points, but week two, they only allowed 10 points to the Jets, beat Philly and held them to 14 points and just Sunday ,beat the Bengals in their stadium keeping them to 17 points. More importantly, they held one of the leagues top 5 WR's AJ Green to just 1 catch and 8 yards. The same AJ Green who torched us for 9 catches 183 yards.

Expect our defense to look the same if not worse from the Giants game. The Steelers have one of the top receiving corps in the league (probably better than the Giants) in Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders. Wallace has world class speed and Brown is not too far behind. Brown is also a dangerous return man. Heath Miller as their TE has reemerged this year and has become a touchdown machine. Not only will our defense have problems covering their speedy WR, most likely our secondary will give 10 yard cushions all game long in hopes of not getting burned deep only to give up first down after first down. And oh yeah, we always seem to have problems covering TE's.

If we can not generate any pressure on Roethlisberger, it's a losing battle for our defense. London Fletcher may not even be playing for us this week. Problem with Roethlisberger is that he is dangerous with pressure as he can escape and is much more mobile than Eli Manning was last week. Either we don't blitz and let Roethlisberger scramble or sit in the pocket all day or we do blitz, it gets picked up and we leave one of the worst secondary's in the league exposed to some of the fastest WRs in the league.

Not much hope for our WR's of Hankerson, Moss and Josh Morgan of torching their secondary. They will probably spotlight Moss anyway the few times he is in the game to take that option away. (Steelers will look at last weeks tape against the Giants). Garcon is out. Fred Davis out. Cooley may not even be factor or play much considering this is his first week back.

Maybe we can get the running game going with Alfred Morris and keep their offense off the field but the Steelers run defense has been pretty stingy, only allowing a 100 yard rusher once so far this season(Mcfadden).

I know, with RG3 anything is possible and this is the NFL anything can happen any week. But being a realist, RG3 cannot play QB, WR, Safety and CB. Go into the game with realistic expectations and you will not be dissapointed if we get blown out, or lose another close one. However, i am hoping for a win, just not too confident.

Steelers: 27 Redskins: 13
Steelers fan? You might have the wrong site here is a link to a steelers site THE STEELER CONNECTION
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Good write up, especially for the half glass empty crowd.

Pittsburgh is not the dominant team it has been in the past, they lost to the powerhouses of Oakland and Tennessee. They are tough at home, but this is certainly a winnable game. One thing I don't understand, is why fans keep projecting us to score less than 20 points. We haven't yet had a <20 point game (incl defensive scores) and our rushing totals have kept creeping up. Tampa Bay was the #1 rushing defense at the time we played them, and Morris ran for 113 yds. Griffin certainly is learning every week, and we haven't made our passing living off of speedsters, but of well designed plays that put a player in a spot to make a play.

No one would argue that our defense is going to suddenly step up and get a shutout. But generally we have made teams take long drives, and then find a way to get a TO or an occasional 3 & out.

Our offense needs to somehow get a 2 score lead going into the 4th quarter, maybe into the last 5 minutes but I think we get it done with Pitt trying, and failing to get the win at the last minute.

Skins - 27
Pitt - 25
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Steelers fan? You might have the wrong site here is a link to a steelers site THE STEELER CONNECTION
I felt that way when I read it too, but his few posts have been solid, so I didn't pick on him about it. Just a Skins fan who has seen us lose too many times. I am sure that describes several on here.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
milellie111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
We'll beat Pittsburgh. Our D has been improving over the last 3 games and honestly, they played a good game until that last pass by Eli. Before that play, we held Cruz to 54 yards, Nicks to 53 and Bradshaw had only run for 43 yards on the day. We're playing better, we just need to stop giving up random big plays.

The Steelers have a lot of injury issues too and aren't what they used to be on either side of the ball. They're down to their 3rd-string RB and missing some key defensive players. We can definitely outscore them.

Skins 27

Steelers 17

LOL, our defense is improving? Manning threw for 337 yards. Martellus Bennetts (their TE) stats the past 3 games were: Against Philly 1 catch 2 yards, Against Cleavland 3 catches 30 yards, and against San Fran 1 catch 9 yards. Against us? 5 catches 79 yards.

We hardly force 3 and outs and we constatly give up yards on 3rd downs. Usually teams don't score touchdowns on us in the redzone because of their own screw ups. We get the ball moved on us at will. If our offense doesn't score 30 points, we aren't winning(with the exception of the Bucs game) and we still may lose wile scoring 30. Christian Ponder (who sucks) threw for 352 yards against us in our stadium. An improving defense would not have allowed that 77 yard td last week , maybe not even a college defense.

Also, the Steelers 3rd string RB who you are referring to rushed for 122 yards on 17 carries Sunday. The Steelers never needed a premier feature back to get the job done.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
milellie111

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
lol. Yeah, i must be a Steelers fan if i'm pointing out flaws of my own team the skins and analyzing a game non biased.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Like the Giants, the Steelers are known to lose games to lesser competition (Raiders, Titans), so hopefully they'll come overconfident. As I've said before, our offense is good enough to overcome the mistakes of the defense if they don't make any mistake of their own.

On offense, we can't have turnovers, missed red zone opportunities, not being able to score points off turnovers, and be settling for FGs. We are facing another quarterback that is known for comebacks, and the last thing we need is to be nursing a small lead with Big Ben playing against us.

On defense, I'd like to see the same thing I saw in three and a half quarters against the Giants (or better). Limit the big plays (don't let Wallace or Brown beat you deep), keep the running game in check, and contain Big Ben in the pocket. We pretty much have been picking a pass a game, so another in this game would be helpful.

If we do all of these things we win, if we don't we may have another heartbreaker or worst.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #11
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

WOW, I hope my Prozac order comes in today......
Skins take this one.
HTTR!
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Steelers are on the down swing and are very beatable. They have multiple issues on the Oline, RB and in the secondary. Their D cordinator is the best in the league and I expect a good game plan from him on RG3.

I gotta feeling this is a lower scoring but very close game. Hienz field is an home field advantage, Skins 16, Steelers 20.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #13
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Steelers are on the down swing and are very beatable. They have multiple issues on the Oline, RB and in the secondary. Their D cordinator is the best in the league and I expect a good game plan from him on RG3.

I gotta feeling this is a lower scoring but very close game. Hienz field is an home field advantage, Skins 16, Steelers 20.
You mean the same secondary that held AJ Green to 1 catch for 8 yds? Although I am glad Polamalu is not going to be playing for them.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #14
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Like the Giants, the Steelers are known to lose games to lesser competition (Raiders, Titans), so hopefully they'll come overconfident. As I've said before, our offense is good enough to overcome the mistakes of the defense if they don't make any mistake of their own.

On offense, we can't have turnovers, missed red zone opportunities, not being able to score points off turnovers, and be settling for FGs. We are facing another quarterback that is known for comebacks, and the last thing we need is to be nursing a small lead with Big Ben playing against us.

On defense, I'd like to see the same thing I saw in three and a half quarters against the Giants (or better). Limit the big plays (don't let Wallace or Brown beat you deep), keep the running game in check, and contain Big Ben in the pocket. We pretty much have been picking a pass a game, so another in this game would be helpful.

If we do all of these things we win, if we don't we may have another heartbreaker or worst.
So we are the lesser competition. I really don't feel that way anymore and I'm expecting us to beat the Steelers this weekend. Yes we have some issues on D but at this point and what the team showed me against Atlanta, Vikings and the Giants we can beat any team in the NFL this year.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #15
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
You mean the same secondary that held AJ Green to 1 catch for 8 yds? Although I am glad Polamalu is not going to be playing for them.
Polamalu out is very significant. Ike Taylor did a great job against AJ Green and Pittsburg D did a great job actually against the entire Cincy offense.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote