Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Richmond Braves (AAA) moving to Georgia

Other Sports

Old 01-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #1
Warpath
The Starter

Richmond Braves (AAA) moving to Georgia

I know many of you don't live in Richmond but since our great city could not provide the R Braves with a new stadium, they decided to move them to Georgia. The R Braves are the next step down from the Pro team the Atlanta Braves for those of you that don't know. They have been here for 41 years and are leaving after next season. Thanks city council and Doug Wilder for getting rid of local and popular sports team.

The Official Site of Major League Baseball: News: Major League Baseball News
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-15-2008, 09:19 PM   #2
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: Richmond Braves (AAA) moving to Georgia

That's a real shame. Minor league games are so much fun to go, sucks when a team ups and leaves.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
skinsfan_nn
Playmaker

I hadn't heard any talk down this way about a move for the Braves? We have the Tides not to far away from you guys, that have done quite well.

That REALLY SUCKS!
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:24 PM   #4
Big C
Mr. Brightside

i used to go to their games a lot when i was a kid, i stopped liking and following baseball a while ago but its still bad to see them go
Old 01-16-2008, 08:01 AM   #5
dmek25
MVP

i say let them go. its about time these pro franchises stop holding cities hostage. if they want new stadiums, let them finance it.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #6
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

It's a shame the 2 sides couldn't work out a deal, but in this day and age, teams will wait it out and find someone who will finance a stadium for them.

I live a stone's throw from Harry Grove Stadium (Frederick Keys, Single A affiliate for the O's), and I know the City doesn't want to put any more money into the stadium, so I could see something similar happening here soon.

But even if you don't like baseball, it's a good time to go to a Minor League game. Promotions between innings, seats are pretty cheap, kids get in free sometimes. I don't think I've paid to get into a game for a while now, especially now since my sister knows someone that works in the Ticketing office.

And while the food prices are close to par with the parent clubs, some of the till goes to the organization running the concession stand that night. And with the Keys, they have fireworks like 4-5 times a month now during the season, which I can conveniently hear from my house. Fun for the whole damn family.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
jbcjr14
The Starter

Wow, I used to live in Midlothian back in the day and frequently went to the Braves games. This is a real shame!
Old 01-16-2008, 01:17 PM   #8
Redskin Rich
The Starter

We can thank Doug Wilder for this....Can't blame the R-Braves for wanting a new facility since concrete was falling into the stands a year or so ago. The Braves did everything they could to stay in Richmond.

Not much of a baseball fan, but it was fun to go watch a game a couple of times a year.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #9
redsk1
The Starter

I'm a lifelong Richmonder, 34 years old, and am a big Atlanta Braves Fan, and Richmond Braves fan. Alot of talent has come thru Richmond, David Justice, Chipper Jones, Glavine, and many, many others.

I can't blame the Braves at all for moving. The Diamond is widely known as the worst AAA facility. The Richmond Gov't has been argueing for at least 7 years as to what to do...renovate...build a new stadium. The Braves finally decided they couldn't wait any longer for more "proposed" plans or maybe's.

This is a huge disappointment for me personally but for also the city of Richmond. Although I love Richmond, I think the city is run like SH**. They are unwilling to change for the better and can't ever get things done. The ballpark is exhibit A. Doug Wilder acted like arrogant and assumed that the Braves were just jerking him around. He really saw the Diamond as a good venue that just needed some fixing up. He also thinks we can just find another team.

The city is stagnant and afraid to change for the better. They often play the historic card but yet don't preserve the history it has. There has to be a balance b/n history and what's better for the city. It can be done.

Right now I am just p'd at this city and their arrogant attitude. We really dropped the ball.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote