Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

F... Michigan and RR

Other Sports

Old 12-16-2007, 11:34 PM   #1
Hail2theskins
Special Teams

F... Michigan

The University of Michigan can suck it. Try devoloping some coaches of your own, last year with WVU's bball coach belein and this year with rich rodriguez. And for that matter f rich rod, i hope that snake in the grass loses every game from here on out.

This is a man who lied to his own people. He grew up just miles from WVU and his family is still there. He was born and bred - he was family. He held the WVU administration by the balls last year during the Alabama fiasco and WVU gave him everything he asked for. The fans of WVU, who are not rich by any means, paid higher ticket prices this year to support the team, build new facilities, give him each of his demands, and share in the pride of it all.

He betrayed his state and family of 2 million hardworking people who give a lot to this program. Then to cap it off he has done more damage than he can imagine in the past 12 hours and is not welcome back in the state again.

This isn't any coach - this is one that grew up with us, played college ball for us, and was given his first head coaching job by us. He was given everything he asked for and then shit on us.

Advertisements
Old 12-16-2007, 11:38 PM   #2
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: F... Michigan and RR

What a strange, vengeful, hate-laden thread.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:41 PM   #3
Hail2theskins
Special Teams

I view Rich rod to be on the level of petrino when it comes to loyalty or integrity. He sucks.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:44 PM   #4
Redskins247
Impact Rookie

I'm sure if I were a WVU fan, I'd feel the same way. I was pretty shocked to see that happen.
Redskins247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:55 PM   #5
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

Im not a wvu fan, but that was pretty shitty.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:41 AM   #6
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Maybe I'm missing something. But it's Michigan folks. One of the best programs in the college ranks. Huge recruiting power, tradition, MONEY, and exposure. RR did a ton for WVU, put them back on the college football map. Thats how college works.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:17 AM   #7
Hail2theskins
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
Maybe I'm missing something. But it's Michigan folks. One of the best programs in the college ranks. Huge recruiting power, tradition, MONEY, and exposure. RR did a ton for WVU, put them back on the college football map. Thats how college works.
The fact that he left his alma mater. The fact that he straight up lied to everyone in his program and everyone in the state of west virginia. The way he went about with the Michigan hire was so deceptive it makes you sick. Michigan wasnt willing to pay more money than WVU, not to a tone that was outrageously more anyway, that was not the issue, and on top of that, he wont even be making more the first two years he coaches paying back the 4 million of his buyout clause. WVU was the second most watched team in the country this fall next to Notre Dame according to reports. This is why the move doesnt make sense and this is why most all WVU fans feel betrayed. The fact that not only a month ago this man can stand in front of a podium in front of the entire WVU audience and talk about loyalty and turn around and pull this crap? I just dont think he went about doing things the right way.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:20 AM   #8
MTK
\m/

It might be shitty but can you blame him?

It's Michigan we're talking about. One of the top jobs in college sports.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:18 AM   #9
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Someone is bitter...

Dude anyone would do the same thing. Anyone who doesn't would be retarded. You have to be rational and think about your well being. Michigan is way better for him in all aspects. I am sure he struggled with the choice but did the right thing IMO.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:23 AM   #10
djnemo65
Playmaker

If you think WVU is on par with Michigan you are seriously deluding yourself. I think your tone is real off-putting. Rather than bemoaning the decline of loyalty in sports, you attack the man personally, calling him all sorts of names.

Dispassionate observers with no rooted interest in WVU can't help but stick up for him for making a decision to benefit his family.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:26 AM   #11
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
What a strange, vengeful, hate-laden thread.
Hahahaha. I feel his anger though. Football is such big biz nowadays, and the way a lot of coaches handle themselves is pretty lame. Rich Rodriguez meeting with Mich without letting WVU know, the Petrino lies, the Saban lies, the list goes on. It sucks.

Personally I think Rich Rodriguez did a dumb thing. He had it made in Mogantown. How good could this team be with Slaton and White next year? And even if Slaton leaves they still have Noel Devine. I think Rich had a better chance at a title at WVU than he'll have in the Big 10. All those Mountaineer fans out there can thank Dave friggin Wannstedt and his shit Pitt team for beating them in WVU with a national title berth on the line. Now Rodriguez is bailing on all that talent and he's not even gonna coach in their BCS game? Lame.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:33 AM   #12
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail2theskins View Post
The fact that he left his alma mater. The fact that he straight up lied to everyone in his program and everyone in the state of west virginia. The way he went about with the Michigan hire was so deceptive it makes you sick. Michigan wasnt willing to pay more money than WVU, not to a tone that was outrageously more anyway, that was not the issue, and on top of that, he wont even be making more the first two years he coaches paying back the 4 million of his buyout clause. WVU was the second most watched team in the country this fall next to Notre Dame according to reports. This is why the move doesnt make sense and this is why most all WVU fans feel betrayed. The fact that not only a month ago this man can stand in front of a podium in front of the entire WVU audience and talk about loyalty and turn around and pull this crap? I just dont think he went about doing things the right way.
But didn't he have to work his way back into his alma mater by proving his worth at the NAIA level and other schools such as Clemson (I think it was Clemson)? He earned his way back to WVU and earned his way out and up. As I understand it, he spoke to the AD, his coaching staff, and the players personally before making it public that he was leaving. And not just a 10 second convo, but long, solid discussions with each. So he didn't seem to burn any bridges there.

I can see how WVU fans might be upset, but for Rodriguez' sake it's absolutely the right move. It's a shame it couldn't happen after the season was completely over. But for distraught Mountaineer fans...remember Steve Fisher.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:55 AM   #13
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

I heard on the stephen a smith show today that there was a huge falling out between him and the AD, and that's what led to him considering leaving, and that it developed within the last couple of months and had something to do with one of their losses...

I may be wrong, though... I was trying to work while it was on.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:00 PM   #14
Monkeydad
Living Legend

So, will you post another angry thread when WVU signs a coach upgrading his job from another school when they get a new one. They should "try devoloping some coaches of THEIR own" too.

You should be proud of someone who spent their whole life in the mountains of WV and finally worked their way out.

It's always been part of the coaching job, you do your best where you are and when you get an offer from a bigger, better school, you move on.

Remember, to them, it's a salary.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #15
Hail2theskins
Special Teams

It wasnt about money, I dont consider it moving up in the world if you're already making 2mil in morgantown which goes a hell of a lot farther than 2.2 mil in Anne Arbor. Of course I attack the man personally, he acted like a child through the whole situation. I assure you he burned nearly every bridge possible with WVU. There was no knowledge to the WVU AD that he was even meeting with Michigan, which by rule of the Contract and the NCAA is not allowed. There was also no meeting between himself and the AD informing the AD he was leaving. The meeting with the players was brief and he did not tell them the specifics as to why he was leaving. He told a potential recruit before he informed his own players that he was leaving. And all this crap about leaving the instutition in better shape? how does leaving a school before one of the biggest game in its history and now attempting to bad mouth the WVU administration through Chuck Finder of the Pittsburgh Post gazette ( This would be as if gibbs left and went dr. z to help bash the skins ) again how is that leaving it in better shape?

The falling out between RR and the AD began occurring after the Alabama debacle last year. A debacle when after it was all said and done ended up for good things for the WVU program. But was it the right way to go about things? Rather than ask the administration for upgrades and raises for his staff, he threatens to leave and nearly does until all the big time donors came running in with their checkbooks. Agreed that, that is one way to get things done, but is it the best way? No f'ing way, and if you believe that you might want to go back in school and enroll in business ethics. You dont think your boss would be pissed if some ass snake in the grass tried to get around you like that and basically threw you down the well without ever trying to resolve the problem with him in the first place?

The guys extension to his contract extension was signed 3 months ago with RR quoted "I want to retire here." Since the Alabama debacle, per RR's requests: we have spent 1mil on the newest and best fieldturf available, the old turf was less than 6 years old. A WVU football History museum is under construction and nearly completed. Additional Seating has been added to the endzones. Student Athelte Academic Center was reonovated and remodled. The Locker room and other Athlete/Coaching Facilities are planned to go underway once the season is over. The indoor practice field also received this 1million dollar turf. and the list goes on. All of this and he leaves because of some pretty petty things that couldnt be resolved between him and the AD.

The man did not leave because of money, exposure etc etc, he left because of some silly squabble between him and the AD over petty things where both men acted like children. the "im taking my ball and going home" analogy seems fit best here. The problem I have with RR is the way in which he handled this situation and the lies he portrayed to the university, his players, recruits and fans.