Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Why do you never hear about...

Other Sports

Old 09-28-2007, 01:56 AM   #1
jsarno
Franchise Player

Why do you never hear about...

Jimmie Johnson? In his 6 years (this year included before the chase started) he has never come in worse than 5th in season.
#1 - 2006
#2 - 2003 and 2004
#4 - 2007 (and still going)
#5 - 2002 and 2005

He has 29 wins in 6 years, and 127 top ten finishes in 211 career starts. He wins a race 13.7% of the time, and winds up in the top 10, 60.2% of the time.
He's really an amazing driver that doesn't seem to get the recognition.

The only person that beats Johnson is Gordon who wins 15.8% of the time, and 61.7% of the time he winds up in the top 10.

To put that in perspective for the other 2 NASCAR fans on this board, Stewart wins 10.3% of the time, and top ten 60.3% of the time. (although 4 of his 9 seasons were worse than 5th in the rankings)
Denny Hamlin only wins 4.2% of the time, and top ten 53.5% of the time.

I'm not saying that Johnson is the best out there, but he's a one shade below Gordon and one shade above Stewart, that's some great company, yet no one is ever talking about him. Why is that?

Advertisements
Old 09-28-2007, 01:25 PM   #2
jsarno
Franchise Player

Re: Why do you never hear about...

See, this is what I'm talking about. This thread has been up through all the commotion this morning, and not a single person decided to make a post on it. Why is Jimmie lost in the shuffle?
Old 09-28-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

He's just kind of there. Nice guy, but he's basically Jeff Gordon after Jeff Gordon already came along.

There's no distinguishing trait about him really
Old 09-28-2007, 01:33 PM   #4
Stacks42
Impact Rookie

He really didnt do much after the Cowpukes won the superbowl, kinda sucked with the Dolphins and isnt a great commentator.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
He's just kind of there. Nice guy, but he's basically Jeff Gordon after Jeff Gordon already came along.

There's no distinguishing trait about him really
But he's a winner...that's a distinguishing trait.
I actually think he's Gordon without the fire. Gordon will blow up if need be. Look at those altercations he had with Stewart a few years back? The guy is tiny but will get in people's faces if need be. Johnson doesn't do that. (at least not yet) He seems content to be mega quiet and just win. I respect that a lot, but it seems like no one else does. Johnson is 3 times the drive that Dale Jr. is, but Jr is considered the most popular driver? Doesn't make sense.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks42 View Post
He really didnt do much after the Cowpukes won the superbowl, kinda sucked with the Dolphins and isnt a great commentator.
LOL...I think he offers good variety to the FOX pregame show.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:39 PM   #7
Stacks42
Impact Rookie

Yes, im joking. But cant we all agree that he is no Dick Trickle?
Old 09-28-2007, 01:57 PM   #8
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Most of my friends that like NASCAR all hate him and Gordon because they just feel like they are closet homosexuals lol. I guess that's typical redneck attitude.

I always thought Jimmie was good, but like SS said he is kinda like Gordon. And a good amount of NASCAR fans don't like Gordon.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:09 PM   #9
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks42 View Post
Yes, im joking. But cant we all agree that he is no Dick Trickle?
LOL...who is really?
Old 09-28-2007, 02:11 PM   #10
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Most of my friends that like NASCAR all hate him and Gordon because they just feel like they are closet homosexuals lol. I guess that's typical redneck attitude.

I always thought Jimmie was good, but like SS said he is kinda like Gordon. And a good amount of NASCAR fans don't like Gordon.
OOOH, is it cause he's from California too? That's why fans don't like Gordon...and Gordon wins.
But see, people don't like Gordon, Johnson is usually just left out of the conversation completely. Forgotten really.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:16 PM   #11
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Yeah I think it has something to do with that. I actually was watching a race on TV with my roomie, and I said "hey Jimmie is running good" and his first response was "Jimmie is gay".

I went on to ask him why he thought that? His answer was a combination of
only women like him/he is just gay/not southern or something to that effect. What I got from him is that somehow Jimmie isn't country or southern enough. It didn't really make much sense to me. I guess throwing beer at Gordon after he wins doesn't make much sense to me either.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:36 PM   #12
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Yeah I think it has something to do with that. I actually was watching a race on TV with my roomie, and I said "hey Jimmie is running good" and his first response was "Jimmie is gay".

I went on to ask him why he thought that? His answer was a combination of
only women like him/he is just gay/not southern or something to that effect. What I got from him is that somehow Jimmie isn't country or southern enough. It didn't really make much sense to me. I guess throwing beer at Gordon after he wins doesn't make much sense to me either.
LOL...I heard that about Gordon too, and it makes me laugh since his wife is hot.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:59 PM   #13
Dlyne8r
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Jimmie Johnson? In his 6 years (this year included before the chase started) he has never come in worse than 5th in season.
#1 - 2006
#2 - 2003 and 2004
#4 - 2007 (and still going)
#5 - 2002 and 2005

He has 29 wins in 6 years, and 127 top ten finishes in 211 career starts. He wins a race 13.7% of the time, and winds up in the top 10, 60.2% of the time.
He's really an amazing driver that doesn't seem to get the recognition.

The only person that beats Johnson is Gordon who wins 15.8% of the time, and 61.7% of the time he winds up in the top 10.

To put that in perspective for the other 2 NASCAR fans on this board, Stewart wins 10.3% of the time, and top ten 60.3% of the time. (although 4 of his 9 seasons were worse than 5th in the rankings)
Denny Hamlin only wins 4.2% of the time, and top ten 53.5% of the time.

I'm not saying that Johnson is the best out there, but he's a one shade below Gordon and one shade above Stewart, that's some great company, yet no one is ever talking about him. Why is that?
I am, and have been, a "NASCAR Fan" forever much to the chagrine of my lovely wife. Growing up in Nashville, TN, it was simply the law. If you didn't get into "racin," well, you were just a yankee or something and they'd come and haul your ass off somewhere! Seriously, I believe you don't hear much about JJ because he is very similar to the old school Redskins. He's quiet, he goes about his business, and when he's on the track, he is one of the best out there. However, Johnson lacks what most other drivers these days lack: PERSONALITY. Due to huge corporate sponsorship and the NASCAR PC Police, drivers are no longer permitted to display their emotions. Love him, or hate him, Dale Earnhardt Sr. was always entertaining to watch and listen to. Being a native southerner, even I grimaced when Sr. gave an interview, but boy was he something to watch. Thus, you always heard about him. Kind of like Tony Stewart. I'm not a fan of his, but at least he's got the kahunas to speak out even if it isn't PC and he is almost always in the news. I think NASCAR in general has lost much of it's heritage and personality. I absolutely love watching the races in HD every weekend, but I usually fast forward through most of the boring round-n-round stuff until something, or someone, gets into it. Foe me, it's just not as exciting as it once used to be, and maybe that's part of Jimmy Johnson's problem.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:05 PM   #14
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlyne8r View Post
I am, and have been, a "NASCAR Fan" forever much to the chagrine of my lovely wife. Growing up in Nashville, TN, it was simply the law. If you didn't get into "racin," well, you were just a yankee or something and they'd come and haul your ass off somewhere! Seriously, I believe you don't hear much about JJ because he is very similar to the old school Redskins. He's quiet, he goes about his business, and when he's on the track, he is one of the best out there. However, Johnson lacks what most other drivers these days lack: PERSONALITY. Due to huge corporate sponsorship and the NASCAR PC Police, drivers are no longer permitted to display their emotions. Love him, or hate him, Dale Earnhardt Sr. was always entertaining to watch and listen to. Being a native southerner, even I grimaced when Sr. gave an interview, but boy was he something to watch. Thus, you always heard about him. Kind of like Tony Stewart. I'm not a fan of his, but at least he's got the kahunas to speak out even if it isn't PC and he is almost always in the news. I think NASCAR in general has lost much of it's heritage and personality. I absolutely love watching the races in HD every weekend, but I usually fast forward through most of the boring round-n-round stuff until something, or someone, gets into it. Foe me, it's just not as exciting as it once used to be, and maybe that's part of Jimmy Johnson's problem.
Very good points!