Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Rams to Release Kurt Warner

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-20-2004, 01:50 AM   #1
Cush
Impact Rookie

Rams to Release Kurt Warner

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=1785927

Two-time NFL most valuable player Kurt Warner, whose career deteriorated over the past two seasons because of a series of injuries and inconsistency, will be released by the St. Louis Rams after June 1, league and team sources have confirmed to ESPN.com.
Cush is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-20-2004, 03:17 AM   #2
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

...dont go to Dallas...dont go to Dallas... Warner would make a nice upgrade over Quincy while Drew Henson is learning the ropes. I hope Bill doesnt consider that as an option.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:52 AM   #3
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I guess I don't think it would matter. Warner is not the quarterback he once was. Even if he is an upgrage over Carter, which I don't think is a given, he is notmuch of one. Since his injuries, Warner has been substantially less accurate, holds the ball to long and lost some of the fearlessness he once had. Also, I think much of his success was due to Martz's system. I am not sure he would be all that effective in a more conventional offense.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 05:50 AM   #4
BrudLee
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin
I think much of his success was due to Martz's system. I am not sure he would be all that effective in a more conventional offense.
Exactly. Warner was a system guy, and not only have his skills declined within that system, the system itself is more ordinary.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:07 AM   #5
beg8878
Special Teams

I don't care how much success Warner had because of "the system" and I agree that he isn't a QB that is as good as his numbers once indicated....but if you don't think he is an upgrade over Quincy Carter, you are kidding yourself.

Carter showed some growth last year, but lets not consider him a solid QB just yet please
beg8878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 07:07 AM   #6
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

This is a time when I'm glad we got Brunell. I remeber there were small rumors that if Warner got released, we'd take him. I strongly dislike him, I dont think he'd make *that* much of a difference in dallas.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:24 AM   #7
MTK
\m/

Warner is something like 0-8 in his last 8 starts. He's clearly not the league MVP he once was. He still could recapture some of that magic though and be a decent pickup. He's not someone to be afraid of anymore.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:34 AM   #8
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I throw a tighter spiral than he does.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 09:01 AM   #9
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by beg8878
I don't care how much success Warner had because of "the system" and I agree that he isn't a QB that is as good as his numbers once indicated....but if you don't think he is an upgrade over Quincy Carter, you are kidding yourself.

Carter showed some growth last year, but lets not consider him a solid QB just yet please

My 11 month old son could challenge Carter for the starting job. Warner would probably beat him out - just barely. That's about how much difference Warner would make in Dallas. As Matty said, he is not someone to fear anymore.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:55 AM   #10
Carnage
Special Teams

Moreover, Warner has looked scared the last two seasons.
Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 11:30 AM   #11
drew54
The Starter

Kurt Warner was a great story. Being an Iowan, I rooted for him in the first Rams Superbowl and was greatful to see such a rags to riches story.

On the otherhad, the entire world was oversaturated with Kurt Warner. After being force fed about how great of a story this was, I lost all intrest and was cheering for the Pats in the next Rams Superbowl.

Kurt Warner since that game has been terrible. I think you will see some team sign him right away, and make him win the starting job. IF he wins that job, then he will play good, but never as great as the situation in St. Louis was years ago. His new team wont have two of the best WR, and the best out of the backfield RB in the league.

He will strugle and never again reach the SB throwing the ball all over the place.
drew54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 12:13 PM   #12
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

he's gonna go to miami or in a bit of a surprise possibly oakland. i also think his success was tied to having sprinters on astro turf who could catch, when he first came into the spotlight he had an amazingly accurate arm even on the deep routes. if he could get his head straight and throw at about 80% of what he used to be he'd still be a decent qb.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 12:14 PM   #13
jasonskin
Special Teams

kurt warner is done.Look at the rams offensive if he cant run that.what do you all think he will do with the dalles offensive they suck.
jasonskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 12:56 PM   #14
Phinehas
Special Teams

I predict that Kurt Warner will take some team to the playoffs this year. You heard it here first.

--Phin
Phinehas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 01:30 PM   #15
Skins fan 44
Impact Rookie

He has the potental. I find it hard to dislike him. He could be successful somewhere else but I am not sure if he really will. I hope he does; just not when he plays the Skins. He sure will have to take a major pay cut for a couple years if not more.