Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Is Ramsey Going To Get A Fair Shot?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-07-2004, 03:14 PM   #1
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Is Ramsey Going To Get A Fair Shot?

This may be utterly obvious to everyone but me-but- Does it seem to anyone else that Ramsey will not have a legitimate chance at the job. My reason for this is the tone that all of the questions related to the subject seem to be answered in. Like "well, he'll definitely have a chance to compete." and Brunell's "well, I'm not having anything handed to me." It just seems like if you read between the lines, the kids not starting. I don't know if I'm explaining my points very well, it's just a feeling I'm getting. Also, on 'Skins website they're marketing two jersey's heavily- Arrington and Brunell not Mr. Ramsey. As a Ramsey fan I'm probably just being paranoid.
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-07-2004, 03:23 PM   #2
Duffman003
Impact Rookie

Burnell will probably win the job because overall he is a better quarterback, but Ramsey will have his chance if through injury or maybe next year if he improves enough to become a starter.
Duffman003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 03:27 PM   #3
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman003
Burnell will probably win the job because overall he is a better quarterback, but Ramsey will have his chance if through injury or maybe next year if he improves enough to become a starter.
yeah, it just seems all of the talk about his chances this year comes off a little condescending.
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 03:58 PM   #4
Skins fan 44
Impact Rookie

I would say Brunell pretty much it is his to loose. I think only if Ramsey has an oustanding preseason he can win it. But regardless if Ramsey starts he will play soon enough. Brunell will be hurt by the 5th game, well unless are line is really awsome then a little bit later.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:59 PM   #5
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

My gut feeling is that there will be an honest competition for the job with a couple of caveats - Brunnell has a a distinct but not overwhelming "head start" in the race to be starter AND all ties go to Brunnell.

With that said, Patrick can win the job. Gibbs is not an idiot and will play the guy who he believes gives the 'Skins the best chance to win. Period.

Given the nature of the position and for Ramsey to win the competition, however, Ramsey has to be noticeably better than Brunnell at comprehending the offense, play/defense recognition and actual passing skill (accuracy, release, touch-passing, and arm strenth). If he is better than Brunell in two of those three areas, I think Gibbs will make him starter.

If, based on their mental and physical SKILLS, Gibbs feels they are basically interchangeable in terms of giving the team a chance to win, Brunell will get the nod based on his veteran status.

Essentially, Brunell has a skill set which Ramsey simply does not have right now and which he cannot get; the "been there done that" skills - The experience of being a starter (and winner) in the league over a long period of time. Because Ramsey cannot compete with Brunell in this area, Ramsey has to clearly beat Brunell in those areas which he can compete.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 04:01 PM   #6
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBurgundy
yeah, it just seems all of the talk about his chances this year comes off a little condescending.
well it must be ok with ramsey cuz we haven't heard anything like we did when brunnel first came to town. i trust gibbs to put out the best qb and will let the 2 guys battle it out. that being said, brunnel has some distinct advantages over gibbs so the job looks like it will and should be his. plus this competition will show us how badly ramsey wants the job and to be on the team in the future.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 04:08 PM   #7
hi-jinx
Special Teams

I think either guy "could" come out of training camp the starter. However Gibbs has made no secret of the fact he like experience at the QB position. Ramsey would have to look quite a bit better in both training camp and the preseason games to come out the starter.
hi-jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 04:11 PM   #8
cpayne5
Playmaker

Gibbs will play the best player.
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 04:29 PM   #9
Hogster
Camp Scrub

I truly believe the deciding factor on whether or not Ramsey starts will be solely based on whether or not he is able to make his reads and determine quickly whether to throw the ball to a receiver or get rid of it. I think we all know that Ramsey is not going to run anywhere so I think personally that if his able to get rid of the ball quick enough he will lead us to glory, if not he will watch until he does learn how too!
Hogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 04:33 PM   #10
SeasonTicketHolder
Impact Rookie

Mark Brunell came here for one reason: to start. Everyone keeps talking about an open competition. No way. Not with the amount of money Brunell is getting. Brunell is the better choice right now than Ramsey. He's got tons more experience, can read defenses better, and of course is much more mobile. His career passing rating is also 85.
SeasonTicketHolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 05:17 PM   #11
EEich
The Starter

I truly believe that it will take Ramsey some time to unlearn Spurrier's teachings before he will become a viable NFL QB and someone that Gibbs can trust to run the Redskins. Without a doubt, he has the physical ability and intelligence... he may be a little shell-shocked and beaten up... he'll just need time. Brunell's contract will work for 3 years before he's released or retires. We'll see a decision made about Patrick before then.

Historically, Joe has never been shy about changing directions with his QBs, winning 3 Superbowls with 3 different QBs. He will go with whoever gives him the best chance to win regardless of how much they're paid, and he's always been able to get the rest of the team to buy into his decisions.
EEich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 07:22 PM   #12
hi-jinx
Special Teams

Its a shame in a way, I think Ramsey has a chance to be a good QB, but he'll want out of DC now and in 3 years we most likey will have neither of these guys on the team.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:28 PM   #13
saden1
MVP

All I know is Ramsey had better have worked on his pocket presence/mobility during the off season. He was flat footed last year who couldn't even step up when the rush was on.

I believe Gibbs will give the job to whoever performs best and right now that’s Brunell. That could all change in training camp though.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 07:32 PM   #14
hi-jinx
Special Teams

Personally I put more of his sacks on the O-line then him. I think after a while he was shell shocked and a little timid though. I said it from the very begining that Spurier was a giant mistake and his style of offense wouldn't cut it in the NFL.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:29 PM   #15
skins009
Impact Rookie

Let me tell you guys all some about Brunnel. He sucks. And let me tell you guys about Ramsey, he's gonna be the best. With the new empasis on protection and our vertical passing game, is a perfect fit for Ramsey. Everyone will see in time, that Ramsey is the next star of the NFL. Forget about Brunnel, and to hell with that experience crap. Brunnel is a gimp.
skins009 is offline   Reply With Quote