Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

ESPN power rankings...Skins @ #18

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-06-2004, 01:39 PM   #1
SkinsRock
Impact Rookie

ESPN power rankings...Skins @ #18

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking

I don't agree with it, but with our track record, I can understand how they can have the Skins at #18....Gibbs alone probably brought us out of the bottom 10. But Atlanta at #7? WTF??? Yeah, Vick is good, but come on! They have a rookie head coach, and contrary to what many believe, one man can't make that much of a difference.
Let me put it another way, with the same team (hypothetically), who would you rather have...Gibbs as HC or Vick as QB? I'd choose Gibbs, no question.

(not that these rankings really mean anything, but it's a very slow NFL news time of year...)
SkinsRock is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-06-2004, 01:50 PM   #2
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsRock
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking

I don't agree with it, but with our track record, I can understand how they can have the Skins at #18....Gibbs alone probably brought us out of the bottom 10. But Atlanta at #7? WTF??? Yeah, Vick is good, but come on! They have a rookie head coach, and contrary to what many believe, one man can't make that much of a difference.
Let me put it another way, with the same team (hypothetically), who would you rather have...Gibbs as HC or Vick as QB? I'd choose Gibbs, no question.

(not that these rankings really mean anything, but it's a very slow NFL news time of year...)
atlanta is gonna be a lot better this year especially with their additions in the draft and offseason including signing alex gibbs i think his name is. he was the offensive line coach for denver and will help provide a solid line of protection for vick this year and him being in the west coast offense is gonna help him immensely.
as relates to us being #18, i think it has more to do with them being skeptical with all of our other "great" offseasons of recent memory resulting in nothing but unrest in redskins faithful. they had a link up for fans to rank the teams in what orders they believe they should be and after doing so(i had the skins at 6 or 7), i guess it averages it out with other votes cuz it had the skins at 14.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:58 PM   #3
skins009
Impact Rookie

Hey i think we got a justifible rank. As the past few years could attest too, free agent spending does't make you better. So there's no reason to think where gonna be incredible. The only x factor of course is Gibbs. We'll have to see. I'm still critical of our d-line. I think thats really gonona hinder or defense.
skins009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 02:12 PM   #4
backrow
The Starter

No worries Mate!

No worries Mate! That just means teams will look past us before they play us! It can only work in our favor.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:12 PM   #5
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

plus didn't we end last season ranked like 26 or something like that so an 8 spot jump just on gibbs alone seems about right but we all know we'll be in the top 10 by the end of the season. it's all about how u finish, not how u start.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 02:49 PM   #6
Carnage
Special Teams

I agree that Atlanta seems signifigantly overated.
Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 03:21 PM   #7
jrocx69
Special Teams

they are saying that vick is gonna play more "quarterback" this year and less runningback. i think that hurts atlanta more. i despise vick, but if he can run as much as he passes they are a better team. the west coast may help with shorter passes, but that doesnt really give him time to use his legs IMO
jrocx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 03:22 PM   #8
]<ing
Camp Scrub

Pre season power rankings mean about as much as a steaming pile of $#*&
]<ing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 03:45 PM   #9
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Let's look at Atlanta's offense.

QB: Vick (Best in the game)
TE: Alge Crumpler (Top 5 in the game for sure)
RB: TJ Duckett and Warrick Dunn, quite a punishing duo.
WRs: Peerless Price, Dez White, Michael Jenkins, Brian Finnerin.
Although this isn't the greatest group, Peerless Price can definitly play when he's not doubles all day long. Hopefully Dez White will finally fulfill his potential and Michael Jenkins could be a serious threat.

Their biggest question mark is their defense. Which they did try to correct with a slew of new DB's. I think 7 is high for them, but they do have a high octane offense in a fairly weak division. Don't be suprised if they do well.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 04:13 PM   #10
MTK
\m/

I'm really not going to worry about a power ranking in May.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 04:20 PM   #11
saden1
MVP

The Skins don't deserve to be ranked high....but....anyone that overlooks anyone in the NFL is a fool. I love Gibbs but I'm a bit skeptical about how the Skins will perform this year.
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 05:15 PM   #12
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

We really dont deserve to be 18, if you ask me. We deserve to be 27, since we were the fifth worse team last year. I think the whole idea of may power rankings is dumb, if you cant see a team play on the feild.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 05:17 PM   #13
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Anyone else feel the Patriots are a bit overrated? They lost their team leader and anchor in Ted Washington, Ty Law is disgruntled, and their offense wasn't exactly that good. They did pick up Corey Dillion, but I don't think he's exactly what they needed.

I expect an early exit in the playoffs from them.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 05:27 PM   #14
jrocx69
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Let's look at Atlanta's offense.

QB: Vick (Best in the game)
TE: Alge Crumpler (Top 5 in the game for sure)
RB: TJ Duckett and Warrick Dunn, quite a punishing duo.
WRs: Peerless Price, Dez White, Michael Jenkins, Brian Finnerin.
Although this isn't the greatest group, Peerless Price can definitly play when he's not doubles all day long. Hopefully Dez White will finally fulfill his potential and Michael Jenkins could be a serious threat.

Their biggest question mark is their defense. Which they did try to correct with a slew of new DB's. I think 7 is high for them, but they do have a high octane offense in a fairly weak division. Don't be suprised if they do well.
VICK NEEDS ALOT MORE WORK B4 YOU CONSIDER HIM "BEST" LOL ... WE ALL KNOW BY NOW NOT TO FOLLOW MEDIA HYPE
jrocx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 05:39 PM   #15
Bergman14
Special Teams

First of all, one man can make a difference, one man did make a difference, and it was Mike Vick. Were they that good when they made the playoffs and beat Green Bay? I would rather have Mike Vick then anyone else in any sport
Bergman14 is offline   Reply With Quote