Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

The Redskins salary cap

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-04-2004, 07:14 PM   #1
Drift Reality
Impact Rookie

The Redskins salary cap

What do you guys think of the financial management of this team?

If we take the following seven players salaries in 2006:

Clinton Portis - 5.476
Lavarr Arrington - 12.414
L. Coles - 6.857
Jon Jansen - 5.238
Ramsey - 1.308
Samuels - 10.898
Taylor - (estimated) 5

We come up with a total cap number of 47 million dollars.

If we estimate the cap will increase 10 million between now and then, we're looking at a total cap of about 90 million dollars. Those top seven players will account for more than 50% of the cap.

Now, if we consider that the next six highest-paid players in 2006:

Wynn - 4.583
Thomas - 4.500
Washington - 5.167
Springs - 5.558
Griffin - 4.883
Brunell - 5.433

The total for these players about 30 million, then we are looking at about 77 million dollars tied up in our top thirteen players.

On a 53 man roster, we are looking at about 13 million dollars being available for 40 players. This works out to about 325,000 per player.

This is unacceptable (and maybe impossible).

Basically, we are looking at a few different scenarios that we can more or less bank on:

1. Brunell will be cut in three years.
2. If Samuels doesn't renegotiate his contract, he will be cut next July.
3. If Levarr doesn't renegotiate before 2006, he will be cut in July 2005.
4. Wynn will be cut in July of 2006 or maybe 2005 if he stinks next year.

What does this all mean? Dead cap room.

What pisses me off is not the top seven players we are paying, but it is the fact that we are paying 30 million in 2006 to players like Renaldo Wynn, Cornelius Griffin, and Shawn Springs. I'm also pissed off about all the dead cap room we're going to be eating when Brunell is cut in July of 2006.

You better enjoy the Skins this year and next. In three years, we're going to be going through what the 49ers went through the past couple of years.

Last edited by Drift Reality; 05-04-2004 at 07:16 PM.
Drift Reality is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-04-2004, 07:49 PM   #2
jasonskin
Special Teams

The olny and the i can say is we got to win. If we start wining Arrington,Samuels will renegotiate ther contracts. We olny relly need DE and DT so we do not need the win every offseason and get all the big names. we need to kept all of are drift picks and start bulding are team in the draft like the patrots.Renaldo wynn sucks and makes to much money that do's piss me of to
jasonskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 07:51 PM   #3
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Its hard to tell what is going to happen. I think Samuels is either going to re-negotiate before next (2005) season or will be cut, so really he will be nulled in 2006. I wouldnt bank on Arrington re-negotiating, and if he does, I will think a hell of a lot of him as a Redskin. And really after that, the numbers for Coles, Portis, Jansen and Ramsey arent that outrageous at all.

NOW, then we come to those next level of guys you mentioned, and thats where I start to become preterbed. Those are all guys that we need to realize what we want to do with. Springs and Griffen can very well be worth the money, we just have to see how they perform.

I dont know overall, guys like Wynn, Brunell and Samuels I expect to be gone by 2006, however alot of the other guys I expect they will have to deal with. I'm not worrying about it until then, somehow the Skins' awlays seem to find a way to do what they gotta do.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 08:06 PM   #4
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Restructuring and a huge cap boost in 05 should give the skins a big hand in managing the cap. People give Snyder greif for how he handles the cap, but until we lose a bunch of key players, he's done amazing thus far.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 10:31 PM   #5
skins009
Impact Rookie

Drift reality is right, about our cap situations if messed up. I don't underastand this whole win next season mentality. Its not the way to go. Even if we do win, the team will be completely dismantelled.
skins009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 10:50 PM   #6
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I am with those who are willing to cut Snyder slack. The pundits have been saying that we would be in cap hell for the last 3 or 4 years. To this point, we have only really lost one player of note - Stephen Davis. I wouldn't be surprised if some restructuring and extensions change the cap situation before 06.

Personally, I think the best cap management is the kind that keeps things tight against the limit. If you're not using it, extra cap room may as well be dead money. Cincinatti, Philly, Arizona, Minnesota - all great cap managment for the past several years. BUT only Philly has had any consistent success.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 11:39 PM   #7
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I'm with Joe Redskin. Cut Snyder some slack, everyone keeps saying the Skins will be in cap hell but they said that four years ago about this year. Doesn't seem like we were misers this year.

In a couple of years who knows what the new salary cap will be, or the new tv contract? And as for Davis, I think if they really wanted to keep him they could have. Yeah money was a factor but I don't think it was the biggest
Old 05-05-2004, 01:01 AM   #8
Ghost
Special Teams

If nothing else, Dan Snyder is a shrewd businessman and I doubt that he'd ever allow the team's cap situation to go bankrupt. They'll make some cuts (probably replacing veterans with UDFAs) and get under the cap, just like they do every year.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 01:25 AM   #9
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

Im not to worried about it. For one I think the cap will be more than ten million dollars higher. Players like Wynn wont be on the team by then, Brunell will be gone as well. The other thing, look at teams like the Colts who over half of their salary cap has gone to three players the last few years, and next year Harrison and James both are due new contracts. Everyyear they cut a bunch of people, two of which we picked up this year, and yet they still always make the playoffs.

We finally have a great coaching system in place, let them do their job and im sure it will all fall together. Samuels already said he would redo his contract, he just wanted to do it after the season to prove hes still a great tackle, and Brunell is old enough that he probably only has three years left anyways.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:11 AM   #10
SkinsRock
Impact Rookie

I'm with you guys...I have faith that the FO will make it work. Part of dealing with the salary cap is realizing that you'll have to get rid of a player you'd rather keep at least every couple years (Davis, Bailey, etc.). EVERY team has to do it, even the ones that supposedly manage the cap the best (i.e. NE w/ Milloy last year, and possibly Law this year).
As a fan, I just want them to win.

As for players restructuring, a little stability in coaching, plus a couple winning seasons should really help convince them to do what needs to be done.
SkinsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:15 AM   #11
bedlamVR
Special Teams

Dead cap money is something we have had to live with for years in Washington but it seems to be the way Snyder copes with his cap crisis. Every year we reneogicate contracts and cut a few others . Trotter and Candidate have fairly big contracts but will be cut after June first and we will eat what is left of thier contracts next year but save money in the long run.

Samuels always said he would renegociate then end of this year or next year bringing his cap number down assuming he rebounds to pro bowl form otherwise he will be cut or relased next year or be renogicated downwards.Arrington is up in the air depending on what happens after his current proceedings which will either go for him in which case he may be too expensive and need to be traded/released or it will go against him in which case he can put the entire situation behind him and chnge agents or become a disgruntelled disruptive influence who belives he has been cheated by the team which again will see him cut .

As for the other players i think we are getting good value for the likes of Jansen and coles especially and Ramsey is cheep though if he is starting by then he will be looking for more money by 2006 .
bedlamVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:59 AM   #12
BrudLee
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedlamVR
Trotter and Candidate have fairly big contracts but will be cut after June first and we will eat what is left of thier contracts next year but save money in the long run.
Actually, Canidate will have no cap hit if/when cut. As the product of a trade, his signing bonus was accelerated to the trading team (the Rams), so they took the hit last year. He would cost us zero dollars to let go. Trotter will cost the prorated portion of his signing bonus if released or traded.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:00 AM   #13
Drift Reality
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711
I'm not worrying about it until then, somehow the Skins' awlays seem to find a way to do what they gotta do.
Not so sure about this point, at least not in the past decade or so.

That being said, I think I could live with the salaries if Samuels and Arrington renogotiate - except for Wynn and Brunell.

The Brunell thing is the one which probably irritates me the most due to the size of his signing bonus.

Do you think there is one other team in the NFL that was going to give this guy an 8 million dollar signing bonus and/or a third round pick?
Old 05-05-2004, 09:02 AM   #14
Drift Reality
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrudLee
Actually, Canidate will have no cap hit if/when cut. As the product of a trade, his signing bonus was accelerated to the trading team (the Rams), so they took the hit last year. He would cost us zero dollars to let go. Trotter will cost the prorated portion of his signing bonus if released or traded.
Agree - Canidate won't do anything to our cap thankfully.

That being said, I want to point out (as the resident a-hole) that we did waste a third round pick for this shmuck.

It wasn't Snyder's fault, this one should be put on Spurrier for thinking that Canidate was the answer at running back.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:18 AM   #15
BrudLee
Playmaker

Canidate put up a good YPC and does a lot of things well. He was a good fit for Spurrier's offense. Take away his injury last year, and he very likely would have been a 1000 yard rusher.

He's not the showcase guy for this offense, and his contract status makes him a likely cut. But if he and Betts were on equal footing contract-wise, I'm not so sure Betts wouldn't be the guy to leave - making Canidate the "Kelvin Bryant" of this team.