Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

For You Classic Gamers Out There

Parking Lot

Old 01-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

For You Classic Gamers Out There

Hyperkin, the makers of Retron game consoles that play classic game cartridges from Nintendo, Sega, and other classic consoles, is coming out with their latest addition of their classic game console - the Retron 5! This console will play games from 10 classic gaming consoles: NES, Super Nintendo, Sega systems, Gameboy, and Famicon (the Japanese Nintendo console.) What will separate this console from the earlier versions, and from computer emulators, is that it will offer 1080p resolution and a number of filters. So, your old games will look great if you choose to hook it up to an HD TV (it will come with HDMI hook ups.) You can also choose a "classic" appearance if you play them unfiltered.

The system will come with its own controller, but will have compatibility with the original controllers from those systems. The Retron 5 comes out in April and will be around $100. While I love my PS3 and love sports gaming on the newer systems, I always felt the classic games had better game play. Some of those games just never seem to get too old for me! Or maybe I'm just getting too old for newer games? Either way, I'm psyched about this! Any classic gamers here?

Retron 5 Plays Classic '90s Video Games - Tom's Guide

Hyperkin.com
Old 01-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: For You Classic Gamers Out There

For $100 I'd consider it.

Speaking of classic games RBI Baseball is coming back.

R.B.I. Baseball is Coming*Back | Extra Mustard - SI.com

I wish they would do the same with Tecmo Super Bowl. Just update the rosters and leave the gameplay the same.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
For $100 I'd consider it.

Speaking of classic games RBI Baseball is coming back.

R.B.I. Baseball is Coming*Back | Extra Mustard - SI.com

I wish they would do the same with Tecmo Super Bowl. Just update the rosters and leave the gameplay the same.
I would crap my pants (figuratively speaking of course) if they would do the same for Tecmo Bowl.

For the record, they do have earlier versions of the Retron. They wouldn't have the filters that this one would have that is supposed to smooth the graphics out to make them look better on high definition nor would they have gameboy compatibility, but if you're dying to play your old NES and Super Nintendo again, the old ones compensate for those systems (and Sega Genesis.)

I don't know, maybe it's because I'm getting older, but outside of the sports games and some of the shooter games, I don't have as much fun with games today as I did back in the days of Nintendo. I could play Zelda, Super Mario, and Punch Out for hours. After about an hour of PS3, I'm good. I will say, I love the advancements of sports and wrestling games, although I think the THQ wrestling games for the Nintendo 64 were top of the line!
Old 01-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
I would crap my pants (figuratively speaking of course) if they would do the same for Tecmo Bowl.

For the record, they do have earlier versions of the Retron. They wouldn't have the filters that this one would have that is supposed to smooth the graphics out to make them look better on high definition nor would they have gameboy compatibility, but if you're dying to play your old NES and Super Nintendo again, the old ones compensate for those systems (and Sega Genesis.)

I don't know, maybe it's because I'm getting older, but outside of the sports games and some of the shooter games, I don't have as much fun with games today as I did back in the days of Nintendo. I could play Zelda, Super Mario, and Punch Out for hours. After about an hour of PS3, I'm good. I will say, I love the advancements of sports and wrestling games, although I think the THQ wrestling games for the Nintendo 64 were top of the line!
In so many ways I agree. A lot of the shooter games, especially when played online, involve dark environments and make it really hard to tell where an attack is coming from. If I can't see or find what's hitting me I generally lose interest pretty fast.

Maybe that's a sign that today's systems are leaving me in the dust. But I definitely appreciated the older games. Plus there's the nostalgia aspect, when I pick up Zelda I'm immediately taken back to the days of rolling out of bed on Saturday at 8:00 am as a 10 year old and spending the morning with it until it was time for pancakes.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:02 PM   #5
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
In so many ways I agree. A lot of the shooter games, especially when played online, involve dark environments and make it really hard to tell where an attack is coming from. If I can't see or find what's hitting me I generally lose interest pretty fast.

Maybe that's a sign that today's systems are leaving me in the dust. But I definitely appreciated the older games. Plus there's the nostalgia aspect, when I pick up Zelda I'm immediately taken back to the days of rolling out of bed on Saturday at 8:00 am as a 10 year old and spending the morning with it until it was time for pancakes.
Amen Schneed! Playing these games take me back as well. And the shooter games, I honestly would rather play those on a PC where I can use a keyboard and mouse.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:21 PM   #6
Schneed10
A Dude

Hell yes. I have a lot of the classic NES games on my Wii, downloaded from the Wii store. My daughter likes Super Mario 3 better than any game she can find on the PS3. Raising 'em right.

Matty great call on Tecmo Super Bowl. Definitely my favorite video game ever. We had a tourney in college. I lost in the finals on the final play, I was drunk (1/2 a beer for every TD scored on you) and tried to tackle Christian Okoye with the rapid A button. Fail.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #7
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I figured it wouldn't take long for the old school systems to come.back around. I haven't played a PS or XB in 3 years, it blows but I have small kids so I kinda don't have a choice
Old 01-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #8
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

If you are interested in Tecmo Super Bowl, and don't mind playing on an emulator, check out TecmoBowl.org - Online Home of Tecmo Super Bowl - Home of Tecmo Bowl Fans

Various ROMs have been made with fixes (4-3 defense, all 32 teams, quicker game speeds). Up to date rosters. It's pretty sweet. And if you would rather play cartridges, there are ways to put ROMs onto cartridges with a bit of know-how.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #9
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
If you are interested in Tecmo Super Bowl, and don't mind playing on an emulator, check out TecmoBowl.org - Online Home of Tecmo Super Bowl - Home of Tecmo Bowl Fans

Various ROMs have been made with fixes (4-3 defense, all 32 teams, quicker game speeds). Up to date rosters. It's pretty sweet. And if you would rather play cartridges, there are ways to put ROMs onto cartridges with a bit of know-how.
Where would people get the cartridges to put the ROMs on? That would be interesting to do! (Although I'm sure a bit "illegal"!)
Old 01-21-2014, 09:00 PM   #10
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Where would people get the cartridges to put the ROMs on? That would be interesting to do! (Although I'm sure a bit "illegal"!)
I'm pretty sure you take existing cartridges and overwrite them. Here is an extensive tutorial on how to do it.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #11
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
I'm pretty sure you take existing cartridges and overwrite them. Here is an extensive tutorial on how to do it.
Hhhmmmm...I'll have to check that out. These game cartridges can get kind of pricey, so I'd hate to overwrite a game that might be worth a lot more in the long run.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #12
MTK
\m/

Crazy how Tecmo has endured over time. There are tournaments popping up all over and there's always been online leagues too. Such a simple but incredibly fun game.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:01 PM   #13
jamf
Pro Bowl

I loved Joe Montana football, I need to find that.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #14
Monkeydad
Living Legend

My baseball choice when I was a kid was Earl Weaver Baseball ii.

It only came with "Classic" rosters, not current players but I loved how you could edit rosters. I fired up my Tandy Computer and with the help of one of those annual baseball guides, I created all 26 MLB teams with full rosters.

I added a ton of star players to Magic Johnson Basketball and did a lot of tweaks on the original Madden game too.

Even up to Madden 2005 for PC, I'd download current rosters up until about 2009 when the nerds lost interest and stopped making roster updates. I made college teams too (just uniforms/fields, no rosters).

That's the one thing that I really miss since EA stopped making PC versions of Madden, the ability to update rosters.

When we drafted RGIII, I actually fired up the Madden 2005 on my PC and made him and started a franchise mode with him as the QB.

Don't forget about NBA Jam!

Last edited by Monkeydad; 01-22-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:10 PM   #15
That Guy
Living Legend

um, madden 08 for pc is still updated with current rosters and draft classes:
Files - Football-Freaks Madden PC Wiki

they're just listed under mods instead of rosters now, since they update the portraits/uniforms/player splash pics etc.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote