Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

The runners thread

Parking Lot

Old 06-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
MTK
\m/

The runners thread

Kinda inspired by TCM's 26.2 thread...

I just recently started running, I'm doing the couch to 5k program. I used to hate running, or at least I thought I did. So far I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying it, and I'm thinking about signing up for a 5k race later this summer to have something to shoot for. And no, I won't be getting a 5k sticker for my car.

Any runners out there?

Advertisements
Old 06-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Re: The runners thread

I have been running/jogging outside for the past few months instead of the treadmill. I noticed people in my gym leaving and then coming back, come to find out there is a nice neighborhood to run in right around the corner from the gym.

Also my neighbor power walks he is I am guessing late fifties I asked if I could join him. He showed me the ropes I will have to say I got a pretty good burn from doing that and my joints the next day felt much better vs. running.

If you are strictly looking at weight lost walking/power walking maybe the better option for you.

Matty still been using the power 90 on days I don't/can't go to the gym. It breaks up the boredom of always going to the gym. Saturday I did it then right after went for like a two mile run. Felt great and no boredom.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I have been running/jogging outside for the past few months instead of the treadmill. I noticed people in my gym leaving and then coming back, come to find out there is a nice neighborhood to run in right around the corner from the gym.

Also my neighbor power walks he is I am guessing late fifties I asked if I could join him. He showed me the ropes I will have to say I got a pretty good burn from doing that and my joints the next day felt much better vs. running.

If you are strictly looking at weight lost walking/power walking maybe the better option for you.

Matty still been using the power 90 on days I don't/can't go to the gym. It breaks up the boredom of always going to the gym. Saturday I did it then right after went for like a two mile run. Felt great and no boredom.
Great! I still do the videos too but I was getting bored & wanted to add something new so that's why I started running. Figure I'll still do the DVDs for lifting and on rainy days when I can't get out for a run. I'm thinking about signing up for the Y again so we can use the track & treadmills there.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
saden1
MVP

I use to run 3 miles almost everyday during the summers about 5 years ago. I stopped because my iliotibial band tweaked and my knees couldn't take the pounding anymore. Like old people I just go for walks now.

Just a little advice if you're getting into running...always stretch before running and get yourself Nike Lunarglide+ 2 shoes. Your body and feet will thank you.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
I use to run 3 miles almost everyday during the summers about 5 years ago. I stopped because my iliotibial band tweaked and my knees couldn't take the pounding anymore. Like old people I just go for walks now.

Just a little advice if you're getting into running...always stretch before running and get yourself Nike Lunarglide+ 2 shoes. Your body and feet will thank you.

Nothing wrong with that! You may have to go further and take a little longer vs. running but you can burn a good amount calories just doing that.

Actual when I walk I find it mentally beneficail as well, I really can unwind and just go through the thoughts in my head.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Not really so much into running but ive recently learned about obstacle course races. Totally sweet. To me they are tons more fun than running on a flat surface for several miles. I did the Dauber Dash 5 miler last year and plan to it and the Warrior Dash this year. Not sure where you live in NY but theres a Warrior Dash coming up in August in your state:

http://warriordash.com/

Also Richmond has a website called www.sportsbackers.com that you can check or get emails of all the races coming up in your area. Im sure other areas have something similar. I like it a lot because it keeps you up with a lot of races youd probably never hear of otherwise.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
Not really so much into running but ive recently learned about obstacle course races. Totally sweet. To me they are tons more fun than running on a flat surface for several miles. I did the Dauber Dash 5 miler last year and plan to it and the Warrior Dash this year. Not sure where you live in NY but theres a Warrior Dash coming up in August in your state:

http://warriordash.com/

Also Richmond has a website called www.sportsbackers.com that you can check or get emails of all the races coming up in your area. Im sure other areas have something similar. I like it a lot because it keeps you up with a lot of races youd probably never hear of otherwise.
Yeah I've seen shows about races like the warrior dash, might have to give on a try someday. Looks like a great challenge.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I've started getting into running some. There's a really nice trail along the river near my place so after work I'll head over there and run for a few miles. My biggest problem had always been that I tend to sprint too much. So I'm learning to pace myself for distance.

What I really enjoy is cycling though. I took it up last summer and I'm pretty hooked. I'll struggle to run 5 miles, but I can bike 30 miles easily
Old 06-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
724Skinsfan
Playmaker

I started running in January to train for a half-marathon this past April. I just finished a 25k (15.8 miles) trail run yesterday. And did an 8k in May. I like running but I've wrecked my back and knees in my early years and I pay the price after every long run.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

As part of my training i reguarly go for runs, i usually run between 1 to 2 miles a day, and rest on Sundays.

When I am in camp, or in heavy training about 2 times a year, I will run 3 miles a day 3 times a week. Any more than that, and my joints ache endlessly to the point that i cant train...
Old 06-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I've been doing a kinda different form of cardio. I've been doing interval training on a bike. Pretty good burn. Best way to burn fat quickly.

That said, I used to run in the morning. It gave me tons of energy, it was fantastic. That said, don't cheap out on shoes. Go to somewhere like Pacers, get fitted, and spend some cash on good shoes. Can make a huge difference between enjoying and hating running. Used to run in my New Balance tennis shoes, then got fitted and I could go about 1/3 as far immediately with much less pain.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #12
MTK
\m/

Interval training is good stuff.

Just did over 2 miles on lunch, feeling pretty good for only being a week into this.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:19 PM   #13
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post

Just did over 2 miles on lunch, feeling pretty good for only being a week into this.
You get to work from home and you use your lunch break to run? That's messed up man. Messed up
Old 06-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #14
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post

I work out at lunch to, my gym is .1 mile from work and my house is .2 mile from work. So either place I want to workout is pretty close by.

I find it the best time to do it because A) it gets me out of my cube and B) I am in no rush to shorten my workout because I just have work to go back too.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #15
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

This is a great site that helped me SEMI get into running:
How To Not Hate Running | No Meat Athlete

I do my working out at lunch or right after work and I HAVE to do something like basketball or tennis. It really just has to be fun for me and unless I'm outside in a place I haven't been recently, I just don't want to do it after a few times.