Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Aside from 2000, Snyder's Handled Free Agency Well

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-02-2005, 09:18 PM   #1
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Aside from 2000, Snyder's Handled Free Agency Well

Sports "experts," like Len Pastabelly, rip into Snyder every chance they get. It's funny that those very same "experts," who now rip Snyder for his 2000 free agent spending spree, are the very same "experts" who predicted that the Redskins would win the Super Bowl in 2000.

It's true that Snyder made a huge blunder in the 2000 off-season by pursuing big-name, but aging, free agents. But, he was an eager, rookie owner who wanted to get his team to the Super Bowl by any means. Should we blame him for inexperience and a strong desire to see his team win? It's also true that Snyder fired Norv Turner, but can anyone honestly blame him for firing Turner?

Moreover, in 2001 Snyder left that free-spending attitude behind. In fact, he left personnel decisions to Marty.

In 2002, Snyder largely left personnel decisions to Steve Spurrier and Marvin Lewis. Hiring Spurrier and Lewis was declared a stroke of genius by Snyder (compensating for prematurely firing Marty). Moreover, Snyder once again took a back seat and let his coaching staff fill the roster with unknowns like Shane Matthews and Danny Woeful. Furthermore, Snyder didn't turn over the coaching staff despite the team's 7-9 record.

In 2003, with the coaching staff largely intact, Snyder went after big-name and high priced free agents Laveranues Coles and Randy Thomas, while letting Daryl Gardener walk. Letting Gardner walk was a great decision, Thomas has played very well, and despite his recent attitude "problems," Coles has performed like the true #1 wideout Snyder said he was.

Critics said we overpaid for Coles, but didn't say the Falcons overpaid for Peerless Price. Yet look at Coles' and Price's stats, Price hasn't done squat since leaving the Bills while Coles is a Pro-Bowler.

It's true Snyder overpaid for Chad Morton, but it's not like we broke the bank for the guy - we only gave him a $1.5 million signing bonus. And Noble hasn't lived up to expectations, but Snyder didn't rupture Noble's ACL and Noble wasn't exactly an overpriced free agent.

Yes after the 2003 season, Spurrier walked, but that wasn't Snyder's fault. Snyder never called for Spurrier's head and almost everyone rightly believes that it was Spurrier, not Snyder, who decided that a head coaching change was needed.

In the 2004 offseason, Snyder got players like Washington, Springs, Portis, and Griffin. Yes, Snyder got Brunell and Barrow. But many experts thought Brunell was a good, if overpaid, addition (hence, ESPN's selection of Brunell as the major disappointment of the season) and we didn't pay give Barrow a huge signing bonus ($2.5 million). Moreover, Snyder oversaw a team that drafted Sean Taylor and Chris Cooley. Finally, Snyder managed to get Gibbs back......just a tiny, itty, bitty success.

This offseason, Snyder hasn't repeated his mistakes of 2000. He's not going to make big-name free agent splashes. He's going to keep the coaching staff intact. So why does he get so much criticism?

I don't think he deserves it and I think it's time for us fans to give him a break that the "experts" won't.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-02-2005, 09:28 PM   #2
KLHJ2
Inactive

Re: Aside from 2000, Snyder's Handled Free Agency Well

While you post a good argument lets delve into the nature of man for a minuite. I can do nothing but great things my whole life, but the second I make a mistake I will be known for that mistake until I redeem myself. Now with that said Danny must redeem himself, and the only way that he can do that is to finance a team that puts up several major pushes into the post season. You and I both know that it hasnt happened yet, but if we just give it time it will.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:52 PM   #3
monk81
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramseyfan
Sports "experts," like Len Pastabelly, rip into Snyder every chance they get. It's funny that those very same "experts," who now rip Snyder for his 2000 free agent spending spree, are the very same "experts" who predicted that the Redskins would win the Super Bowl in 2000.

It's true that Snyder made a huge blunder in the 2000 off-season by pursuing big-name, but aging, free agents. But, he was an eager, rookie owner who wanted to get his team to the Super Bowl by any means. Should we blame him for inexperience and a strong desire to see his team win? It's also true that Snyder fired Norv Turner, but can anyone honestly blame him for firing Turner?

Moreover, in 2001 Snyder left that free-spending attitude behind. In fact, he left personnel decisions to Marty.

In 2002, Snyder largely left personnel decisions to Steve Spurrier and Marvin Lewis. Hiring Spurrier and Lewis was declared a stroke of genius by Snyder (compensating for prematurely firing Marty). Moreover, Snyder once again took a back seat and let his coaching staff fill the roster with unknowns like Shane Matthews and Danny Woeful. Furthermore, Snyder didn't turn over the coaching staff despite the team's 7-9 record.

In 2003, with the coaching staff largely intact, Snyder went after big-name and high priced free agents Laveranues Coles and Randy Thomas, while letting Daryl Gardener walk. Letting Gardner walk was a great decision, Thomas has played very well, and despite his recent attitude "problems," Coles has performed like the true #1 wideout Snyder said he was.

Critics said we overpaid for Coles, but didn't say the Falcons overpaid for Peerless Price. Yet look at Coles' and Price's stats, Price hasn't done squat since leaving the Bills while Coles is a Pro-Bowler.

It's true Snyder overpaid for Chad Morton, but it's not like we broke the bank for the guy - we only gave him a $1.5 million signing bonus. And Noble hasn't lived up to expectations, but Snyder didn't rupture Noble's ACL and Noble wasn't exactly an overpriced free agent.

Yes after the 2003 season, Spurrier walked, but that wasn't Snyder's fault. Snyder never called for Spurrier's head and almost everyone rightly believes that it was Spurrier, not Snyder, who decided that a head coaching change was needed.

In the 2004 offseason, Snyder got players like Washington, Springs, Portis, and Griffin. Yes, Snyder got Brunell and Barrow. But many experts thought Brunell was a good, if overpaid, addition (hence, ESPN's selection of Brunell as the major disappointment of the season) and we didn't pay give Barrow a huge signing bonus ($2.5 million). Moreover, Snyder oversaw a team that drafted Sean Taylor and Chris Cooley. Finally, Snyder managed to get Gibbs back......just a tiny, itty, bitty success.

This offseason, Snyder hasn't repeated his mistakes of 2000. He's not going to make big-name free agent splashes. He's going to keep the coaching staff intact. So why does he get so much criticism?

I don't think he deserves it and I think it's time for us fans to give him a break that the "experts" won't.
And he's a long time Redskin fan................We just need to get rid of Vince
Old 03-02-2005, 10:13 PM   #4
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryssg
While you post a good argument lets delve into the nature of man for a minuite. I can do nothing but great things my whole life, but the second I make a mistake I will be known for that mistake until I redeem myself. Now with that said Danny must redeem himself, and the only way that he can do that is to finance a team that puts up several major pushes into the post season. You and I both know that it hasnt happened yet, but if we just give it time it will.
Fair enough.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:26 PM   #5
That Guy
Living Legend

a million monkeys with typewriters.... its bound to happen eventually...
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:40 PM   #6
jacobyfan
Special Teams

You know what they say about a million monkeys with a million typewriters, right?
jacobyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:40 PM   #7
jacobyfan
Special Teams

Eventually one will get his wanker painfully lodged between the keys...
Old 03-02-2005, 11:51 PM   #8
That Guy
Living Legend

lol, that's good.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:57 PM   #9
jacobyfan
Special Teams

I bring the funny. That's my job.

Rule #1 of comedy: Monkeys are ALWAYS funny
Old 03-03-2005, 12:31 AM   #10
offiss

You have to give him a pass on Brunell that was Gibb's guy, as for Barrow he was an excellent signing and the book is still open on him unfortunatly you can't forsee injuries, especially tendenitis.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:32 AM   #11
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I think Danny, besides his rookie year has done an excellent job. Nice post RF!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 12:42 AM   #12
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

The criticism of Snyder is particularly interesting in 20/20 hindsight. In Snyder's first year as owner, 1999, the Redskins made the playoffs and, in fact, were a point away from the NFC Championship. But lost in the romantic haze through which we see that season now is that the Redskins finished that season 10-6 after barely beating a hapless 49ers team in overtime. Had we lost, we would have been 9-7 and hoping to catch a break. But, that being said, it was the first and last season under Norv that we made the playoffs, and the first and last season under Norv that we made the playoffs, and the first and last time since the '91 Rypien season. And that year, because the Redskins made it "over the hump" and the only thing new was Snyder (Norv was in like his fifth year), all the revisionist history was about how the success was thanks to the owner.

Unlike Cooke, the fable went, Snyder did not "tolerate mediocrity." No,unlike the stodgy and "patient" Cookes of the old money of real estate, he was a product of the Internet age, so he demanded results "now." And so the story went that that "pressure" that he put on Norv and the team, is what put them over the top. Of course, now that the Redskins are losing (instead of squeaking into the playoffs by one game by beating the hapless 49ers in overtime), all that has been turned upside down because now Snyder is a "meddler" who "interferes" and lacks a "plan." Interesting.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:00 AM   #13
That Guy
Living Legend

damned if you do...
Old 03-03-2005, 09:24 AM   #14
gortiz
Special Teams

All the points made by Ramsey fan are accurate, but this is the thing. I think when Snyder screws up, he screws up big, loud, and in front of everyone. That seems to overshadow the good he has done. The way he handled, Brad Johnson, Marty, Spurrier (bringing in Buges that one time), charging admission to camp, the seating at FedEx, really, FedEx itself is a joke in regards to a home advantage (i.e. RFK), Vinny coming, then going, then coming back,?
gortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 09:31 AM   #15
BrudLee
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortiz
All the points made by Ramsey fan are accurate, but this is the thing. I think when Snyder screws up, he screws up big, loud, and in front of everyone. That seems to overshadow the good he has done. The way he handled, Brad Johnson, Marty, Spurrier (bringing in Buges that one time), charging admission to camp, the seating at FedEx, really, FedEx itself is a joke in regards to a home advantage (i.e. RFK), Vinny coming, then going, then coming back,?
Do you mean "Jack Kent Cooke Stadium", built and financed by the previous regime? I can't see why the perceived flaws in that stadium are Snyder's fault.

What has Snyder done to ruin FedEx? Added more seats? I can see why that would silence the crowd. [/sarcasm]

Like everything from my youth, RFK was better than its successor. FedEx may be more comfortable, safe, and - this is important - profitable, but we should never have left a stadium that is going to require millions of dollars to refurbish just for a single season of baseball.

Tune in tomorrow, when I ruthlessly blast anyone who uses a remote control to change the channel on their TV.