Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

F... Lexus Xmas Commercials

Parking Lot

Old 11-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

F... Lexus Xmas Commercials

Seriously, does this irk anyone else? Only two ways that these scenarios can work out. Either these mid twenties/early thirties couples are retardorich and can simply afford to drop ~$50k cash on a CHRISTMAS PRESENT or they are giving their special someone an assload of debt.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: F... Lexus Xmas Commercials

every five minutes these things are coming on...seriously eff this commercial. Last year it was the hipsters singing christmas carols commercial, this year f*cking lexus with that annoying ass tone

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:40 PM   #3
GMScud
Swearinger

I just lol'd. I've been off from work 4 of the past 6 days, and the wife and I have watched a lot of football... and therefore seen plenty of these dumbass commercials. And she and I have said the same thing as you.

Who in the hell just gives someone a $50K car as an Xmas present? I mean, I could go out tomorrow and grab the wife a nice Lexus on a lease, but it's like, here ya go honey, have a sweet Lexus.... and oh yeah, we now have a $600/month car payment to tack on to the bills.

I mean what freaking demographic are you appealing to with these commercials? .05% of the world's population? These ads have driven me nuts for years.

Last edited by GMScud; 11-28-2011 at 09:41 PM.
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Well I'm going shopping for a car for my wife this weekend. And I know she wants a Lexus.

We'll see. My signing bonus wasn't exactly Lexus worthy but whatever...but where the hell am I gonna find a ribbon big enough to wrap around a car?
Old 11-28-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

well there goes Smoot ruining my theory. That said, I drive a new BMW and even being able to afford it, it's not something I would consider a "gift" per se. Big difference between "can afford" and it's a gift, nbd. If you're the primary breadwinner and can swing it, i guess that's one thing. if you're signing someone else up for the payment... not so much.

BTW- good luck w/ the new job, whatever it is. I'm assuming it's something along the lines of

Thomas Paine
Old 11-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
cpayne5
Playmaker

Marketing folks usually know what they're doing. Take a look around the next time you drive in and around DC and note the badges on the vehicles nearby. $50k here, $35k behind you, $125k over there, etc etc

There is big money in the region and Lexus knows it. They probably don't sell too many cars that actually become spur of the moment gifts, but I bet they do sell a fair amount of cars because of the ads.

Wife sees the ad, says to husband "you should buy me a new Lexus, look how cute it is with the bow!".
Husband - "OK, maybe we'll go take a look this weekend"
Wife (Saturday evening) - "Thanks for the new car, honey!"

That is probably a bit dramatic to some extent, but not too far off reality.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #7
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Well I'm going shopping for a car for my wife this weekend. And I know she wants a Lexus.

We'll see. My signing bonus wasn't exactly Lexus worthy but whatever...but where the hell am I gonna find a ribbon big enough to wrap around a car?
The truely sad thing is the ribbon is an accessory that costs $600.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:03 PM   #8
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:

I guess it all depends on the Lexus. When I was car shopping a little over a year ago I looked at a few, and there were some available that weren't too much more expensive than the car I ended up getting (2010 Nissan Altima SL, bells and whistles included). I just preferred to get the "lesser" make, with more options. Leather, sunroof, power everything, GPS, Bose sound, etc etc, cost me the same per month as a Lexus with half the options.

But I'm not getting signing bonuses or anything, so you know, I suppose I could afford the gigantic ribbon for you... That's about it.

Last edited by GMScud; 11-28-2011 at 10:05 PM.
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #9
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
The truely sad thing is the ribbon is an accessory that costs $600.
the truly, truly sad thing is that you know that the ribbon is a $600 accessory. Seriously though, $600 ribbon? It better come wrapped around 3 hookers.

Thomas Paine

Last edited by BleedBurgundy; 11-28-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #10
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:

Or the music box that plays the lexus song. Gotta have that. Otherwise its just a car man.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:02 AM   #11
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
Marketing folks usually know what they're doing. Take a look around the next time you drive in and around DC and note the badges on the vehicles nearby. $50k here, $35k behind you, $125k over there, etc etc

There is big money in the region and Lexus knows it. They probably don't sell too many cars that actually become spur of the moment gifts, but I bet they do sell a fair amount of cars because of the ads.

Wife sees the ad, says to husband "you should buy me a new Lexus, look how cute it is with the bow!".

This. Marketing people are smart. These Lexus commercials have been coming on as long as I can remember. You don't keep a marketing campaign running for that many years if it's ineffective. The average NoVA household income is what, 120K? That means there are a lot of households above that...
Old 11-29-2011, 08:23 AM   #12
mredskins
Gamebreaker

The worst one now is the one when they are coming down the elevator and the annoying song is playing on the elevator PA system. That one sucked me in becasue I was like that song sounds familiar then they rush outside and there is the Lexus, I was like Noooooooooo I didn't see that coming. It was almost like a horror film;you see people on a fishing boat then you hear a familiar soundtrack in the background but are unsure of it until a giant shark jumps out of the water eats everyone; the Lexus car is the giant shark in that commercial.

2011 Lexus December to Remember Sales Event - Elevator - YouTube

Has there every been one with minorities in it? OR is it always some goof white folks?

This one is pretty god awful also!

2011 Lexus December to Remember Sales Event - Holiday Hero - YouTube
Old 11-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #13
That Guy
Living Legend

I don't buy new cars, and i can't think of anyone I know that just drops 50k on a present. I understand some people can afford to, but it seems like a really bad investment/use of money.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:

If you buy the Lexus I tell them its no deal without the ribbon.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:28 PM   #15
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post

A big part of the battle is brand awareness. Lexus has done such a good job with their commercials that when a lot of people think of luxury cars they don't think of Rolls Royce, Jaguar, or Cadillac but Lexus. And who can blame them, they're great cars. Mercades and BMW is pretty good with their commercials as well but Lexus is probably the first name that pops into a lot of peoples heads when they think of luxury vehicles.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote