Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Broncos)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-16-2009, 07:51 AM   #1
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Broncos)

What a great week. Amazing vacation in Argentina and then I come home to a Redskins victory.

Some quick thoughts on the win, before getting to the smack down:

-Sherman Lewis' playcalling has been what we've needed for a long time. The different formations he's using and the different players is something that's seriously been lacking. Part of it comes from the fact that Cooley and Portis were on the bench, so there wasn't the inclination to just to to them all the time. That's not to say we're better without those guys, however.

-Loved the way we went old-school pound the ball and used our size on the offensive line against the smaller Broncos D-Line. At this rate, Levi Jones will be our starter at LT next year and all those looking for us to take an LT in the first round shouldn't hold their breath.

-That was an amazing pass by Hunter Smith

-The Andre Carter vs. Brian Orakpo sack race is pretty damn awesome to watch

-Didn't expect Simms to screw the pooch so badly

Ok...now time for the smackdown

Jason Campbell Another uneven performance. Uninsipring, in fact. Off on a lot of the early throws, and got away with what should have been yet another fumble in the third round. Campbell needs a change of a scenery. He can be, I think, a good QB in the NFL. But I think his time is done here.

Carlos Rogers Not so much his performance, which was poor, but more so his post-game comments. I understand that players can be frustrated immediately after a game and may say things they don't mean. But a) we just won and b) comments like these aren't new for Rogers

Santana Moss Becoming increasingly irrelevant

Devin Thomas You can tell I'm reaching now. But regardless, I want to see him do a better job running without the ball and getting in position down the field. When he has the ball he puts on some sick moves, but I don't want him just catching screen passes all the time

Advertisements
Old 11-16-2009, 07:59 AM   #2
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Redskins vs. Broncos)

I am all for loving the win, but one other knock on JC was his intentional grounding call. I don't know if anyone else saw it, or if my view was wrong, but Yoder looked like he was WIDE open in the middle if not for a TD, at least a FD.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
joethiesmanfan
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
What a great week. Amazing vacation in Argentina and then I come home to a Redskins victory.

Some quick thoughts on the win, before getting to the smack down:

-Sherman Lewis' playcalling has been what we've needed for a long time. The different formations he's using and the different players is something that's seriously been lacking. Part of it comes from the fact that Cooley and Portis were on the bench, so there wasn't the inclination to just to to them all the time. That's not to say we're better without those guys, however.

-Loved the way we went old-school pound the ball and used our size on the offensive line against the smaller Broncos D-Line. At this rate, Levi Jones will be our starter at LT next year and all those looking for us to take an LT in the first round shouldn't hold their breath.

-That was an amazing pass by Hunter Smith

-The Andre Carter vs. Brian Orakpo sack race is pretty damn awesome to watch

-Didn't expect Simms to screw the pooch so badly

Ok...now time for the smackdown

Jason Campbell Another uneven performance. Uninsipring, in fact. Off on a lot of the early throws, and got away with what should have been yet another fumble in the third round. Campbell needs a change of a scenery. He can be, I think, a good QB in the NFL. But I think his time is done here.

Carlos Rogers Not so much his performance, which was poor, but more so his post-game comments. I understand that players can be frustrated immediately after a game and may say things they don't mean. But a) we just won and b) comments like these aren't new for Rogers

Santana Moss Becoming increasingly irrelevant

Devin Thomas You can tell I'm reaching now. But regardless, I want to see him do a better job running without the ball and getting in position down the field. When he has the ball he puts on some sick moves, but I don't want him just catching screen passes all the time

Santana Moss will never be irrelevant he always kills Dallas!!!
joethiesmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #4
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Also wanted to add that I loved Portis' enthusiasm on the sidelines, great job cheering on his teammates
Old 11-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

My big one is run defense. We have essentially the same defensive line from last year with a HUGE addition, yet we're getting gashed in the run game.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

True on CP, he easily could have been a negative distraction.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Yesterday was the most satisfying day as a Redskins fan in a long while, man is it sad to type that!

I agree wholeheartedly on Sherm Lewis. For all of the 'BINGO' jokes we endured while it went down and the pundits ripping on the process (Sherm to Sherm to JC) we've averaged just over 20 PPG with him calling the plays and have ZERO delay of game penalties or delay related time-outs. Big difference in what we're seeing from the offense, especially in the past 6 quarters.

I've got to give love to our favorite pillow hugger-Fred Davis. He's done a great job of coming in and not leaving a void where Cooley's injury is. He's making plays in the passing game, getting good run after catch numbers and blocking much better. All around, he's been impressive. When Cooley returns, we could legitimately have a nice 1-2 TE threat.

I'd like to see more and more of Thomas. This is another stubborn-Zorn issue for me. Thomas needs to get the ball and get hit to 'wake him up'. Ok, so he's a pro and that's pretty sad that he needs that in order to get going-but if that's what it takes, then do it! He obviously can make plays when he gets the ball in his hands. Put him back on kickoff returns, throw him an early bubble screen, get him involved.

I'm with you on the smackdowns. Yesterday could have been a bigger blowout but JC left 14 points on the board in the 1st half. He overthrew Moss by a mile on what should have been a long TD and then missed a WIDE OPEN Yoder down the middle. I typed in the gameday thread that he was making it really easy on his critics yesterday. I'm with you, I think he's still got a future as a starting QB (as a game manager a la Orton, Schaub, Garrard, Pennington, etc) in the NFL but never as a play maker and not here in DC.

Rogers-well I said my piece in the other thread. A defensive version of Rod Gardner with worse hands.

Safety play-Yeesh.. Landry jumped a crossing route letting Marshall run free on the 2nd TD of the day, Moore bit HARD on a cross and go and luckily Orton missed Royal for another 6. They better tighten that up or else Austin, Crayton and Williams (ok-maybe not Williams) will be running free all day next Sunday in Dallas.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:54 AM   #8
MTK
\m/

Gotta love the playcalling and the balance yesterday. Of course it helps when your offensive line is opening holes and doing a decent job in protection.

It was nice to see Kelly, Thomas, and Davis all pitching in. I believe that's the first time we have been able to say that.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:56 AM   #9
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I am all for loving the win, but one other knock on JC was his intentional grounding call. I don't know if anyone else saw it, or if my view was wrong, but Yoder looked like he was WIDE open in the middle if not for a TD, at least a FD.
i was there and he wasn't WIDE open he wasWIDEopen that play was awful but it was good to see a win, felt kinda weird

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:00 AM   #10
joethiesmanfan
The Starter

Thumbs Up: Champ Bailey shut down Santana got to give him his respect. But Randel El is a killer in the slot.
joethiesmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:01 AM   #11
MTK
\m/

I know JC struggled early but I thought he rebounded well. Gotta like the way he dished it around and scrambled for some key yards.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:06 AM   #12
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Like the write up Smoot. A few things for me...

1) I'm not a fan favorite of Betts/Cartwright but the last two games I'll gladly eat crow. I said it once and will say it again....They both look good when in together, Betts blocking for Rock. Also if nothing else it might give us some trade value later in the year if we are looking to get younger.

2) Levi Jones, yes he's 30, but he only has 7yrs in the league. If he can stay healthy he might be able to help out for another 2-3yrs. We definitly need to get another LT for him to help train and a bonified RT or two. Then take all the other O-lineman we have (who are young) and make them Guards and Centers. Definitly need to pick up a taller Center. Rabach gets bowled over too much and I hate seeing any QB behind him squating so low to take the ball.

3) Roger......wow. He's definitly not a shut down corner. Bites on the first move all the time and I'm not the only person to notice, during the Tampa game the announcers mentioned that very thing. He's great at bump and run and yet sucks at his job when giving a cushion. Blache should simply make him play bump and run the rest of the season. Eveyone else can play zone...Rogers I want you to play bump and run....stick to your man like glue. Otherwise sit him and let the younger guys get experience.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:13 AM   #13
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I know JC struggled early but I thought he rebounded well. Gotta like the way he dished it around and scrambled for some key yards.
I really don't understand what happened between the first drive and the rest of the game. He was on cue during that first drive...and I would have liked to see more from him (including being able to hit Santana with the deep ball).
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:25 AM   #14
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Yes. I've never yelled at JC (through the tv) louder. Yoder was not only wide open, He was in the middle of the field, right in front of JC. I still don't know how JC could have missed him.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #15
Skins4Eva
Camp Scrub

HTTR!!!! Finally a win we can be proud of. I too am absolutely loving the Andre Carter and Brian Orakpo sack race. We DEFINITELY made the right choice in drafting Sackpo, he has 7 sacks and really doesn't have a firm grasp of his position...imagine when he puts all of the pieces together!!! Wow. Andre Carter looks like a beast!! I say all of this in hopes of showing anyone who may have disagreed with the sigining of or underestimated the ability of Haynesworth. HE is the reason why Carter and Rakpo have the numbers they do. Yes, he may limp around, and take a lot of breathers, however, he absolutely wreaks havoc when he is in the game. when Rakpo and Carter both post double digit sacks seasons...it will be a great reflection on how having a player of Haynesworth's ability makes everyone better!!!......................................... ......................................... ITS DALLAS WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO SKINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11