Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Emergency!!!

Parking Lot

Old 04-04-2005, 12:31 AM   #1
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Emergency!!!

Anyone who sees this I'm having a problem with a flooding in my basement. None of the kdis my age know what the hells going on (including Dasel) and I dont know either. If anyone knows anything about dehumidifyers and the consequences of shutting them off, please IM me at skinsfan026.

Sorry Mods for using a thread but this is getting ugly.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-04-2005, 01:14 AM   #2
Big C
Mr. Brightside

Re: Emergency!!!

my basement used to flood a little, just from the downflow of the water as my house was on a hill. we used a dehumidifier later on but it wasnt really a problem. how bad is it
Old 04-04-2005, 02:43 AM   #3
Redskins8588
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711
Anyone who sees this I'm having a problem with a flooding in my basement. None of the kdis my age know what the hells going on (including Dasel) and I dont know either. If anyone knows anything about dehumidifyers and the consequences of shutting them off, please IM me at skinsfan026.

Sorry Mods for using a thread but this is getting ugly.
Sorry I am at work and cant IM, but I am pretty sure that most dehumidifyers have an auto shut off built int o them. When the water raises so high in the water tank it will push up a trigger that will shut down the unit. HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!
Old 04-04-2005, 06:52 AM   #4
Skinsfanatic
The Starter

If all else fails, go to your circuit breaker and turn off the breaker for the dehumidifer. However, I had a similar problem with my washing machine, and it wasn't even on. Instead it was a hose going to the machine had sprung a leak. So, turn off the breaker (thats safer anyways with that much flooding) and if it doesn't stop, try and find the main water shutoff in your house.
Skinsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:47 AM   #5
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Alright; I woke up this morning and went down, and the two area's that were retaining water are still wet, but it didnt spread (which was my main worry), so I think its ok. I was just flippin out because I didnt wanna go to bed and wake up to a foot of water all over my basement (which is finished), and ruin everything. I turned my dehumidifier again and jsut let it run thoughout the night and it kept things from spreading which is good. Anyways; thanks for the help guys. Always good to know I have some backup when I pull a dumbass move like this. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:42 AM   #6
BrudLee
Playmaker

My basement has flooded twice this winter - call your insurance agent!!! Even if you don't have 'Flood Insurance', you should be covered for much of your losses and costs accrued in fixing yourself up.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:35 AM   #7
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrudLee
My basement has flooded twice this winter - call your insurance agent!!! Even if you don't have 'Flood Insurance', you should be covered for much of your losses and costs accrued in fixing yourself up.
Ummm, maybe - Even if covered, you may want to assess the damage and see if you can't cover it yourself. Insurance underwriting has gotten very strict as the market has hardened. If you have two or more claims in a trhee year period and depending on your insurer, you may get cancelled. Once cancelled it is difficult and expensive to get reinsured.

You should really only use your homeowner's insurance for really BIG losses (my deductible is at 1,500).
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:42 AM   #8
BrudLee
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin
Ummm, maybe - Even if covered, you may want to assess the damage and see if you can't cover it yourself. Insurance underwriting has gotten very strict as the market has hardened. If you have two or more claims in a trhee year period and depending on your insurer, you may get cancelled. Once cancelled it is difficult and expensive to get reinsured.

You should really only use your homeowner's insurance for really BIG losses (my deductible is at 1,500).
Half of my basement is finished. The projected cost of replacing the carpet and two feet of drywall from the floor up (due to mold infestation from the water) is over $12,000, not including the stored items that were lost from water damage. So yeah, I called my agent. I agree that insurance companies won't tolerate getting nickel-and-dimed to death, but a flood of a finished area can cost a whole lot.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:04 AM   #9
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
Half of my basement is finished. The projected cost of replacing the carpet and two feet of drywall from the floor up (due to mold infestation from the water) is over $12,000, not including the stored items that were lost from water damage. So yeah, I called my agent. I agree that insurance companies won't tolerate getting nickel-and-dimed to death, but a flood of a finished area can cost a whole lot.
Thats why I was so worried. My basement is proboly the most valuable place in this house. Theres computers, full carpet, a big screen tv and all sorts of stuff. Thats why I didnt want to let it get out of control and start causing a ton of damage. It will proboly smell like assclown down here for a little while, but at least I stopped anything getting messed up.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:36 AM   #10
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

A good way to get rid of the smell and damp is to spread a couple of bags of cat litter (the gray crap) on the damp areas. Clean-up is a nightmare though, but it should stop mould.
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 11:44 AM   #11
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Fair enough. I was just suggesting that, prior to calling in a claim, Gmanc assess the actual damage and be sure it wasn't a claim he could afford to pay on his own.

Also, if flooding is a problem, you may want to look into flood insurance (which, generally, is sold separately from your homeowners). It is an expensive coverage, but, if the basement flooding can cause you significant damage, it's a coverage you should look into.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 11:29 PM   #12
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

good luck with all of that. hopefully itll all work out.