Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Please Define A "True Number One" Receiver

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-18-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
12thMan
MVP

Please Define A "True Number One" Receiver

With so much draft chat going on, I wanted to shift gears just a bit and discuss something more generic, yet relevant to where the 'Skins are headed this year.

I've found that in the heat of a game day thread we're all guilty of throwing around certain buzz words, but the definition may vary depending on which fellow Warpather you're actually talking to. For instance, the words "change of pace back" comes to mind and is often used when referring to the different running styles of two different running backs for the same team. Clinton Portis is pounding the rock, we bring in Betts or Rock for a few downs and like clockwork someone will say, Betts is a good change of pace back. Fine. No problem. Now this isn't a critique nor a criticism, just an observation.

So I want to get some consensus, at least around here, on what's considered a number one wide receiver. Now that Randel El is gone, the recent emergence of Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly and the likelihood that Santana Moss' role, at a minimum, will be changing there isn't a clear cut number one wide receiver on this roster in my opinion.

I understand the temptation is to say it's unequivocally Santana because, well, for a lot of reasons quite frankly. But I think it's helpful to get this out in the open and sort of say what it is and what it isn't.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-18-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
12thMan
MVP

Re: Please Define A "True Number One" Receiver

I don't want to split hairs, but I'm just interested to see what the responses are.

For me I think it's important to distinguish play maker from a number one wide receiver. I think what we've had in Moss is a play maker that has filled the role of number one receiver. Sometimes I think the two can overlap, but by definition --and this is just me-- a number one wide receiver does three things well:

a) He can run a variety of routes very well. Not just the slant or the fly pattern. (see Roy Williams)

b) usually commands double coverage

c) frankly, he's dependable. He catches the damn ball.

I could add maybe one or two more things to that list, but that's how I pretty much sum it up. I'll add, I think your play maker could end up with more touchdowns and still not be your number one receiver.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
12thMan
MVP

Haha..I didn't mean this to be parking lot!! Can we move this the main board. Doesn't matter though.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I don't want to split hairs, but I'm just interested to see what the responses are.

For me I think it's important to distinguish play maker from a number one wide receiver. I think what we've had in Moss is a play maker that has filled the role of number one receiver. Sometimes I think the two can overlap, but by definition --and this is just me-- a number one wide receiver does three things well:

a) He can run a variety of routes very well. Not just the slant or the fly pattern. (see Roy Williams)

b) usually commands double coverage

c) frankly, he's dependable. He catches the damn ball.

I could add maybe one or two more things to that list, but that's how I pretty much sum it up. I'll add, I think your play maker could end up with more touchdowns and still not be your number one receiver.
I agree with your criteria. I would add that, in terms of criterion b, he not only commands double coverage, he also sometimes beats double coverage.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #5
Ruhskins
Living Legend

True no. 1 receiver? Larry Fitzgerald?
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Randy Moss between 1998-2009 .

Most explosive Rookie WR in Nfl history and still has really good size and speed
Old 03-18-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
skinster
Impact Rookie

A true number one reciever is someone that the opposing team HAS to double team if they want a hope at stopping him.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #8
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
So I want to get some consensus, at least around here, on what's considered a number one wide receiver. Now that Randel El is gone, the recent emergence of Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly and the likelihood that Santana Moss' role, at a minimum, will be changing there isn't a clear cut number one wide receiver on this roster in my opinion.
Where did they emerge from? Devin Thomas had a fluke 100 yard game and never did atleast half of that again. Malcolm Kelly had a season high of 50 yards in a game.

Back On Topic:
A number one WR is a guy who consistently beats single coverage requiring double coverage.
An AllPro WR is a guy who consistently makes beats double coverage.

I think Santana Moss is a #1 but not of the caliber of Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson.
In my opinion, Santana can light up 9 out of 10 corners in the league. Unforunately, he has a tough time beating double coverage.

The same goes for Steve Smith. They had identical stats this year because of how poorly their teams played. With solid Olines and QB play, They are probowl WRs which they have proven in the past.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #9
Longtimefan
Playmaker

One that values the quality of receptions equal to quantity. Has a complete understanding of both offenses' and defenses'.... Proficient at reading the defense and running precise patterns with deception as well as speed, complete and absolute concentration on making the catch.

Being the receiver in the mix that commands the maximum attention from the defense, and be able to alter the outcome of games with their sheer natural abilities.....The player DC's have to specifically game plan for to combat the threat they pose.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:59 PM   #10
30gut
Playmaker

There are very few true No.1 receivers

Imo a No.1 must:

o Must destroy any CB whenever he gets a 1-on-1 match-up without safety help

o Must still be able to produce when doubled facing a double team
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:11 AM   #11
dirtythirty
Camp Scrub

Andre Johnson the last 2 years. I feel he is the true definition of a #1 wideout.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:19 AM   #12
GTripp0012
Living Legend

A true number one receiver must be highly effective in all areas of the field and on all routes, with an added emphasis on vertical concepts. He must also catch 64%, IMO, of passes intended for him.

Just two criteria.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:21 AM   #13
Defensewins
Playmaker

The obvious must beat a CB one on one.
Must not be one-dimensional. Be great at at the #1, 2 or slot position.
Not afraid to go over the middle. Fast enough to stretch defenses. Great run blocker. Run all out even when playing decoy. Good at running reverses and taking hand offs on running plays. Physical player, not afraid to mix it up with bigger players.
A great combination of speed and power.
Biggest one of all is being in incredible synch with his QB. They could complete a pass in the pitch black darkness. Meaning, they know exactly where they are going to be and the ball is thrown before the receiver makes the cut.
Incredible hands.
On a side note, I agree with Jamf, thomas and Kelly have not done squat.
Their time is running out and they better come in hitting on all cylinders in 2010. They need to do more thatn just catch a handful passes in a game. They need to start to show signs of dominating their opponents, something that has been seriously lacking and is worrisome for me as a Redskin fan.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:08 AM   #14
The Goat
Pro Bowl

I think the criterion set forth in just the few posts already pretty much define a true #1 WR.

Where I strongly differ in opinion is our WR corp in that we have NOT had a #1 WR under the Snyder era. Moss has great hands part of the time, good hands most of the time, and downright awful hands the other part of the time. Specifically in our last playoff appearance Moss couldn't catch a cold, but truth is he gets the dropsies at least a few games every season. True #1 WRs miss a ball here and there but overall they have to be very dependable. Also a true #1 WR, like GTripp said, must be able to make plays running a variety of routes. Moss rarely makes a catch in heavy traffic, partly due to his size but then you look at Steve Smith about the same size and see him making huge leaping grabs. Moss for all his speed doesn't seem to have much burst to get in the air and fight for the ball.

So the lesson is w/o a #1 WR it's very hard to have a dominant offense. Moss never has been and never will be that guy, though working out of the slot I could see him lead the team in catches and have his best season ever. But for that to happen Thomas or Kelly have to emerge as the #1 possession WR. Based on sheer ability Thomas easily has the edge but he has to become a student of the game and master his routes to really breakout. I wonder if he's working w/ any of the greats during the off-season?
Old 03-19-2010, 01:38 AM   #15
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

A go to guy whom you can rely on making the big catch or a play with the ball in his hands; a guy who will catch pretty much any ball no matter where it is.