Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Betting Protocol

Parking Lot

Old 03-12-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
saden1
MVP

Betting Protocol

So there's this homeless guy near where I work who sets up a radio and cardboard scoreboard during the Seahawks and Mariners games. This homeless guy has an area the size of a football field on lock down. In the last 4 years no other homeless person has encroached on his territory (the best territory in town IMO).

A week ago a co-worker and I were conversing about the homeless guy and I said the homeless guy must be a tough SOB no one can f*ck with to keep his territory for so long. My co-worker who wasn't inebriated said he could and that he could have the same exact setup just a few feet away from him if he wanted to. I said "I got $50 that says you couldn't" and he said "you're on."

My co-worker comes to me a few days ago and proclaims that his conscious/morality wouldn't let him go through with the bet and that I should let him out of if. He's willing to pay the $50 but he thinks it's pretty low of me to not let him out of the bet. Is he right? Would you let him out of the bet?

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
firstdown
Living Legend

Re: Betting Protocol

I'm surprised you did not just tell him to go and give the money to the homeless guy.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Watch Trading Places with Dan Akroyd and Eddie Murphy. Then use your own discretion.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
dmek25
MVP

was at inner harbor a few years ago. a younger looking woman, with 3 young kids in tow, was bugging every one for a couple of bucks. when she gets to me, her line was that her kids haven't eaten in a couple of days, could i spare a buck or 2? i said no, but lets walk over to ESPN zone and that i would buy her and her family lunch. she dropped about 10 f bombs on me, and walked hastily away. don't hand the bum the money, but offer to buy him a meal
Old 03-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Watch the Seinfeld episode when Jerry bets Kramer that he won't build steps in his apartment, you'll find the answer there.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

To me the bet wasn't about the the money, so let it slide. Make him take you out for lunch and a couple of beers.

Get an interview and pics with the homeless guy to share here.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #7
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
To me the bet wasn't about the the money, so let it slide. Make him take you out for lunch and a couple of beers.

Get an interview and pics with the homeless guy to share here.
The thing is him and I make bets on stuff all the time...he has cleaned me out so far this year for $75 and we still have $200 outstanding on some other bets. Never once have I ever asked a bet to slide.

Good idea on interviewing the homeless guy. He's really a nice guy and he would probably do an interview.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:19 AM   #8
steveo395
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
Watch the Seinfeld episode when Jerry bets Kramer that he won't build steps in his apartment, you'll find the answer there.
Exactly. The bet was whether or not he could make the same setup next to the homeless guy. He can't do it, so you win

steveo395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:59 AM   #9
Skinny Tee
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
So there's this homeless guy near where I work who sets up a radio and cardboard scoreboard during the Seahawks and Mariners games. This homeless guy has an area the size of a football field on lock down. In the last 4 years no other homeless person has encroached on his territory (the best territory in town IMO).

A week ago a co-worker and I were conversing about the homeless guy and I said the homeless guy must be a tough SOB no one can f*ck with to keep his territory for so long. My co-worker who wasn't inebriated said he could and that he could have the same exact setup just a few feet away from him if he wanted to. I said "I got $50 that says you couldn't" and he said "you're on."

My co-worker comes to me a few days ago and proclaims that his conscious/morality wouldn't let him go through with the bet and that I should let him out of if. He's willing to pay the $50 but he thinks it's pretty low of me to not let him out of the bet. Is he right? Would you let him out of the bet?
If he wants out of the bet then you can be magnanimous enough to let him buy back the bet for a reduced rate of the total bet. Usually it's half the amount of the original bet. Kind of like a restocking fee just for having tracked your wager.

That is standard betting protocol. Your friend has to politely request a buy out from you at the reduced rate or whatever reduced amount you feel like. It's in your friend's best interest to not antagonize or agitate you about your bet as he is still obligated for the full amount so letting him buy back for less is an extremely gracious gesture.

Though, if your friend is a big enough man to verbally concede you won the bet before it really came to fruition, then you, customarily, will have to accept the reduced rate buy back with no questions asked.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #10
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

If you owe him 200 based on bets? Now you owe him 150. He made a bet. He lost. Pay up.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #11
MTK
\m/

Dumb bet to begin with, I would forget about it.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #12
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
was at inner harbor a few years ago. a younger looking woman, with 3 young kids in tow, was bugging every one for a couple of bucks. when she gets to me, her line was that her kids haven't eaten in a couple of days, could i spare a buck or 2? i said no, but lets walk over to ESPN zone and that i would buy her and her family lunch. she dropped about 10 f bombs on me, and walked hastily away. don't hand the bum the money, but offer to buy him a meal
I like the guys who hold the signs "Will work for food" just ask one of them if they want to work for the day. I have done it twice on Saturdays thinking I could use a little help around the house and both times I have been turned down. They don't want to loose any money by actually working for it.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #13
johno
Impact Rookie

anytime a bum asks "got any change?" i respond, "none that i didnt earn." i mean dont actually say it, but i want to.

as far as the original post, your coworker made a bet and didnt deliver. pay up.