Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Any wine drinkers here?

Parking Lot

Old 02-25-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
gibbsisgod
Playmaker

Any wine drinkers here?

I need some help from my fellow warpathers. I am planning a big surprise for my wife at the end of March. April 1rst(stop laughing) is the 10th anniversary of our first date and I am taking her out to a concert at Penn State. I have reserved a really nice hotel suite. I also spared no expense on this evening. I am talking, candle lit dinner, chocolate covered strawberries, champane, you know, all the good stuff. I have been getting some tips from her family on how to make this the perfect night.

Problem: I seem to remember that she tried champane a long time ago and didn't like it. I am not 100% sure about this but i think she told me this once. I don't want to come out and ask her because this whole night is going to be a surprise. About 3 years ago I took her to a wine tasing event and she bought a few bottles but really wasn't into it. She told me she just didn't like the liquor taste of wine, but was willing to keep trying new ones. What I am looking for is if anybody can recommend a nice sweet wine. I am lost when it comes to this type of thing. Some ideas of a nice wine that I could buy a bottle of to try before we go on our date. And I can have the hotel get me another bottle of it and have it in the room. Any help would be much appriciated.

And maybe some female warpathers could give me some tips on how to make this night even more special for my wife? Sometimes seeing things from a womans point of view helps. I am open to any suggestions. Thanks
gibbsisgod is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-25-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Re: Any wine drinkers here?

GMScud is your man on this one, you may want to PM him.

I went to Santa Barbara CA last month and visited the Firestone Winery pretty good stuff but I don't drink wine so it could have been grape juice for all I know.

Firestone Vineyards
Old 02-25-2010, 10:51 AM   #3
mredskins
Gamebreaker

this one is super sweet! It is considered a dessert wine.

Firestone Vineyard | Wines | 2005 Santa Ynez Valley Late Harvest Riesling
Old 02-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsisgod View Post
I need some help from my fellow warpathers. I am planning a big surprise for my wife at the end of March. April 1rst(stop laughing) is the 10th anniversary of our first date and I am taking her out to a concert at Penn State. I have reserved a really nice hotel suite. I also spared no expense on this evening. I am talking, candle lit dinner, chocolate covered strawberries, champane, you know, all the good stuff. I have been getting some tips from her family on how to make this the perfect night.

Problem: I seem to remember that she tried champane a long time ago and didn't like it. I am not 100% sure about this but i think she told me this once. I don't want to come out and ask her because this whole night is going to be a surprise. About 3 years ago I took her to a wine tasing event and she bought a few bottles but really wasn't into it. She told me she just didn't like the liquor taste of wine, but was willing to keep trying new ones. What I am looking for is if anybody can recommend a nice sweet wine. I am lost when it comes to this type of thing. Some ideas of a nice wine that I could buy a bottle of to try before we go on our date. And I can have the hotel get me another bottle of it and have it in the room. Any help would be much appriciated.

And maybe some female warpathers could give me some tips on how to make this night even more special for my wife? Sometimes seeing things from a womans point of view helps. I am open to any suggestions. Thanks
Neither my wife or I really "like" the taste of wine, but we drink it. If she's not into wine either, but you really want to serve that to her, have you thought of making some sangria? That really cuts the wine-y taste of it. My wife also drinks a Riesling too that she thinks is pretty sweet.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
this one is super sweet! It is considered a dessert wine.

Firestone Vineyard | Wines | 2005 Santa Ynez Valley Late Harvest Riesling
Ah, I hadn't looked at your link yet before I recommended Riesling.

Good call.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Ah, I hadn't looked at your link yet before I recommended Riesling.

Good call.

IT is basically fruit juice probably why I liked it.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
gibbsisgod
Playmaker

Thanks guys. I am going to try that Riesling stuff.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Another choice for a really, really sweet wine is Lambrusco.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsisgod View Post
April 1rst(stop laughing) is the 10th anniversary of our first date...
GTFO! April 1st of this year is the 10th anniversary of my first date with my wife. Small World. It also happens to be our 5 year anniversary...

Anyway, onto wine. Check out: Linganore Winecellars: Welcome to Marylands Premier Vineyard. They make several fruit wines, as well as sweeter than normal grape wines. Those who have had their wines rave about them (I'm a dry red wine guy, so I avoid this stuff, but several friends rather enjoy them).

White wines tend to be sweeter than reds, so if your wife isn't a big wine fan, I'd avoid most reds. As far as white wines go, Riesling and Pinot Grigio tend to be on the sweeter side as opposed to a Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc. Blush wines (Rosé for example) will be on the sweeter side as well.

As far as sparkling whites go, my wife and I had a really nice Prosecco not too long ago.

Don't be afraid to hit a few local wine stores and ask questions. Naturally, a store that sells Mad Dog and Thunderbird might not be your best bet, there if you look, there are some quality wine shops around that will help you get what you need.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:17 PM   #10
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Don't be afraid to hit a few local wine stores and ask questions. Naturally, a store that sells Mad Dog and Thunderbird might not be your best bet, there if you look, there are some quality wine shops around that will help you get what you need.
I notice you didn't mention Boone's Farm. Now THAT'S a drink for a classy lady.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #11
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Try your desert whites... maybe go for some Port, anyone can drink a port

second the go to a wine shop suggestion
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:42 AM   #12
gibbsisgod
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
GTFO! April 1st of this year is the 10th anniversary of my first date with my wife. Small World. It also happens to be our 5 year anniversary...

Anyway, onto wine. Check out: Linganore Winecellars: Welcome to Marylands Premier Vineyard. They make several fruit wines, as well as sweeter than normal grape wines. Those who have had their wines rave about them (I'm a dry red wine guy, so I avoid this stuff, but several friends rather enjoy them).

White wines tend to be sweeter than reds, so if your wife isn't a big wine fan, I'd avoid most reds. As far as white wines go, Riesling and Pinot Grigio tend to be on the sweeter side as opposed to a Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc. Blush wines (Rosé for example) will be on the sweeter side as well.

As far as sparkling whites go, my wife and I had a really nice Prosecco not too long ago.

That funny, I didn't check back here for updates but went to the store looking for myself. A Linanore wine is what I bought. I think its White Mountan. A lady at work recomended it as well as the store clerk. Gonna try it tonight with her. Thanks
Old 02-26-2010, 07:49 AM   #13
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
I notice you didn't mention Boone's Farm. Now THAT'S a drink for a classy lady.
I literally LOL'd for a little while at this one.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:11 AM   #14
MTK
\m/

I've always been partial to some Night Train myself
Old 02-26-2010, 08:37 AM   #15
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Nothing says I Love You like a bottle of Ripple