Insider's Take

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-23-2005, 06:03 PM   #1
MTK
\m/

Insider's Take

Carlos Rogers

Scouts' take:
Although inside linebacker and defensive end may be more pressing needs, corner isn't far behind, and Washington did well to select Rogers. Rogers changes directions very well, has the balls skills to make some big plays and, most importantly, is a physical corner who is at his best playing close to the line of scrimmage. He also has the versatility to match up in man coverage as well as zone coverage. Why was he the third corner taken? He is inconsistent, he lacks prototypical speed and he will get caught out of position at times.

Mel Kiper's take:
The Redskins drafted for need here and got a corner with 4.4 speed and a tremendous vertical leap. Rogers was the most consistent, steady cornerback in the nation this year, and teams avoided his side of the field. He faced the top competition in the nation at Auburn and did not back down against anyone. He is strong coming up in run support and shows great ball skills after the pass is thrown.

Jason Campbell

Scouts' take: This comes as a mild shock, because taking Campbell in the first round is a bit of a reach, Washington has far greater needs and it's hard to believe head coach Joe Gibbs wants to bring in a developmental quarterback at this point in his career. Campbell struggled during his first three seasons at Auburn, and there is some concern he is just a flash in the pan. However, his combination of adequate arm strength, good touch and mobility within the pocket makes him the third-best quarterback available. It's also worth noting that Campbell has the work ethic to improve with added experience.

Mel Kiper's take: This is a surprising pick, because coach Joe Gibbs wants to win now, and Campbell doesn't accomplish that. But he is a very solid quarterback who won 31 games as a starter, has good size and possesses a very strong arm. What is most impressive, though, is his accuracy. Campbell is accurate to an extreme, always putting the ball where receivers can catch it in stride with minimum adjustment.

Advertisements
Old 04-23-2005, 06:12 PM   #2
Cush
Impact Rookie

Re: Insider's Take

only downside with the Campbell pick is that if the Redskins suck next year, Denver could end up with a high pick
Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:55 PM   #3
John Hasbrouck
Special Teams

Fabian Washington is better prospect then Rogers
John Hasbrouck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:58 PM   #4
Big C
Mr. Brightside

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hasbrouck
Fabian Washington is better prospect then Rogers
couldnt disagree more. washington wasnt even going to be a 1st rounder until he ran the 40.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:26 PM   #5
wolfeskins
The Starter

alot of people, including myself, feel that rogers was the best cb in the draft. taller better cover corner and equally as physical as pac-man, better in run support and equally as good as a cover corner as rolle.
wolfeskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 08:28 PM   #6
MTK
\m/

I like the Rogers pick mostly because you know Williams had a say in this selection.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:43 PM   #7
Big C
Mr. Brightside

they said he got thrown at 20% of the time...enough said.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:06 AM   #8
BossHog

I thought CB Justin Miller from Clemson was worth looking at too. What if we drafted Mike Williams at nine and Justin Miller at 25? If we hadn't taken Rodgers when we did we wouldn't have got him. Miller projects better than Washington because of his ball skills. The same for Campbell. If we hadn't taken him when we did, we wouldn't have got him.
BossHog is offline   Reply With Quote