Saw this on the Baltimore Sun Page...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...ck=2&cset=true

That would be a good signing...

Advertisements
Old 03-01-2005, 08:30 PM   #2
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Re: Skins may sign Rabach from Ravens

Hey, it's password protected. Could you cut and paste, or maybe summarize what it says? Thanks!
Old 03-01-2005, 08:33 PM   #3
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

Man I hope so, that would be freaking awesome. And I might add it was my prediction on the 12:01 thread for someone we would sign...
Old 03-01-2005, 08:35 PM   #4
CooleyAsCanBe
Special Teams

Agent: Rabach won't return to Ravens

Center expected to sign with Redskins; Anderson, Hartwell also likely headed elsewhere; Club continues talks with Mason

By Jamison Hensley

Sun Staff

Originally published March 1, 2005, 7:54 PM EST

The Ravens will have another glaring void on offense to fill as the free-agency signing period dawns Wednesday.

While still in the hunt for Derrick Mason to address their need at receiver, the Ravens must begin their search for a starting offensive lineman.

Casey Rabach, who started all 16 games at center last season, has decided to sign elsewhere, agent Tony Agnone said Tuesday. According to a league source, a deal will likely be struck with the Washington Redskins and could be announced as early as Wednesday, the first day unrestricted free agents can sign with another team.

Agnone said no agreement has been reached and expected several teams to be interested in the 27-year-old Rabach.

"[Analyst] Mel Kiper had Casey rated as the best young free agent in the pivot, and I would have to agree," Agnone said. "We would have loved for him to stay in Baltimore. But we knew when they signed Mike Flynn last year, it was going to be time to move on."

Last offseason, the Ravens had to decide whether to invest in Flynn or Rabach as their center for the future. They ultimately signed Flynn to a five- year contract worth $11.2 million (including a $4 million signing bonus).

But when Flynn went down with a broken collarbone in training camp, Rabach replaced him so adeptly that Flynn couldn't regain his starting job after he was cleared to play again.

The Ravens are expected to give Flynn his job back at center, where he started from 2001 to 2003. The concern is filling the hole at right guard, especially with starter Bennie Anderson not expected to be re- signed.

At this moment, Brian Rimpf, a 2003 seventh-round draft pick, tops the depth chart at right guard.

"You never say never, but Bennie's pretty sure he's out of there," said Harold Lewis, Anderson's agent.

Lewis provided a grimmer outlook on the chances of inside linebacker Ed Hartwell returning to the Ravens. Hartwell has made 472 tackles over the last three seasons, a total surpassed by only Ray Lewis (510).

"He loves Baltimore, the fans there, the coaching staff and his teammates. But there's zero chance of him re-signing because it's Ray Lewis' team," said Harold Lewis, indicating Hartwell could sign with another team Wednesday or Thursday. "With them moving to a 4-3 defense, there's no doubt who they are starting at middle linebacker. So where does that leave Ed?"

A team official said there has been no final determination whether the Ravens will convert back from a 3-4 defense to a 4-3.

Meanwhile, the Ravens' talks continue with Mason, the highest-rated receiver remaining in free agency. No visit is currently scheduled with the eight-year veteran, a team spokesman said.

The Jaguars and Ravens are still considered the two most interested teams, but the New York Jets and Giants are expected to make a run at him.

Mason recently said he would strongly consider going to the Ravens because "they're another team headed in the right direction."

Those comments were quite different from the ones Mason made following the Titans' 20-17 playoff win over the Ravens just 13 months ago, when he referred to coach Brian Billick as "arrogant."

"I think we humbled them a whole bunch," Mason told the Tennessean in January 2004. "I think they got too full of themselves and thought they could just show up and beat us.

"Not only them [the players], I think their coach was rather arrogant. He was rather arrogant, and it backfired on them."

NOTES: Strong safety Will Demps, the only starter who is a restricted free agent, received the "middle" tender of $1.43 million, according to Steven Feldman, Demps' agent. That one- year agreement means the Ravens would be compensated a first-round pick if they fail to match an offer sheet from another team. The Ravens' other restricted free agents (tight ends Darnell Dinkins and Terry Jones, receiver Randy Hymes, nose tackle Maake Kemoeatu, linebacker Bart Scott, running back Chester Taylor and cornerback Ray Walls) were believed to have received the "low" tender of $656,000. If the Ravens don't match an offer sheet for any of them, they would get a draft pick in the round the player was drafted in return.
CooleyAsCanBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:36 PM   #5
CooleyAsCanBe
Special Teams

That would be a great move if we got him. He wouldn't even have to move.
CooleyAsCanBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:36 PM   #6
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

raymer
na na na naaa... na na naaa hey hey hey good bye!

i know you tried but this is gonna change us
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 08:37 PM   #7
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

thanks for that.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:58 PM   #8
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

This would be a great signing. I said it before, and I'll say it again. If we could resign every memeber of our team and get a new center, I think we the experiance of last year, we can contend in the playoffs. I really think this position is that big for us. I'm glad were not gonan let that position slide for a bigname WR or anything. Outside of a Smoot, Perice Resigning this is the postion I wanted to see filled.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 09:01 PM   #9
jrocx69
Special Teams

i like this move as well... this guy can play guard and center. so if dockery stinks up the line, rabach can step in there as well.
jrocx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 09:02 PM   #10
Schneed10
A Dude

I applaud this move. Offensive line sure is shaping up well now!
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 09:14 PM   #11
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Definitely a good move! Just make sure he passes the physical!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 09:46 PM   #12
MTK
\m/

If all we do tomorrow is lock up a starting center I'd be very pleased.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:53 PM   #13
That Guy
Living Legend

he's young too, had a great year, and has proved he belongs in the nfl... hopefully he's not too expensive (center seems to be a pretty cheap position at least). Now get a blocking TE (very very cheap) and there's only one glaring need left on offensive...
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 09:56 PM   #14
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

Don't know too much about him, but I'll take him over Raymer!
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 09:59 PM   #15
MTK
\m/

Here's his profile from Scouts Inc., keep in mind it's from before last season when he became the starter:

Name: Casey Rabach
Position: Center
Grade: 69 | Key
Alert: None

Comment:
Rabach shows a good understanding of the game. He takes excellent angles to his blocks and generally gets into good position. Shows good footwork in pass protection, possesses adequate lateral mobility in the short area and flashes the ability to redirect inside because he plays with good awareness and body control. Didn't sustain any serious injuries at the college level and has been durable throughout his NFL career. The problem is that Rabach is a much better football player than he is an athlete, and he also is a little bit of a ?tweener OG/OC that lacks ideal size/strength at OG and lacks ideal athletic ability at OC. Isn't as effective as he needs to be on pulls and lacks the speed to turn the corner. Doesn't have the bulk to anchor against effective bull rushers and will get pushed back into the pocket. Overall, Rabach has shown that he is capable of filling in over a short period of time at both the OG and OC positions.