Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

NFC East Off-Season Recalibration

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-10-2024, 09:50 AM   #1
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

NFC East Off-Season Recalibration

In his introductory press conference, new HC Dan Quinn called this off-season a recalibration for our team. I want to expand that to the whole of the NFC East.
Looking at all 4 teams even the winning ones were in meltdown mode as the season ended.

Philly - fired OC and DC, and brought in Kellen Moore as the OC, and Vic Fangio as their DC, either one of whom could be put in as interim HC if their late-season struggles continue into the start of next season. Plus they are losing several mainstay players due to age.
per overthecap.com: Effective Cap Space: 16.2M(rank #16) players under contract 2024: 62 draft picks:9

Dallas - Lost 3 defensive coaches and brought in Zimmer as DC. Pollard, Tyron Smith likely leaves in FA. Gillmore is a FA too, and I don't think it's a stretch for him to follow Quinn/Whitt to DC
Effective Cap Space: -22.8M(#27) players under contract:60 draft picks:7

NYG - If Washington was it's usual epitome of dysfunction last season, the Giants took it to a whole new level with rumors of the DC creating his own fiefdom, and the HC going ballistic randomly. They also fired their DC and brought in the Titans DC to replace him. They have 26 free agents (from spotrac.com) including Adoree Jackson and Saquon Barkley. And $47M tied up on a questionable QB.
Effective Cap Space: 14.0M(#18) players under contract:54 draft picks:7

Washington - Fired entire Dan Snyder era shell, and brought in new GM, HC and entire football staff.
Effective Cap Space: 62.6M(#1) players under contract:50 draft picks:9
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-10-2024, 10:29 AM   #2
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: NFC East Off-Season Recalibration

The rebuild narrative is mostly false…this league allows for a quick turnaround but you gotta make the right moves in the right spots: QB, coaching especially, but drafting a Micah Parsons or signing a Trent Williams can be significant “unit lifters” too.

Decision makers and “aligned vision” gotta be pulling in the right direction

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 04:25 PM   #3
That Guy
Living Legend

we're going to be stuck with either a rookie qb or a middling one, so I don't see a superbowl in our immediate future. Without either good QB play or decent QB play + great defense, there's not going to be a record-flip in 2024.

Maybe our #2 pick plays great, maybe we bring in some OL/LBs that can actually play, and the team gets coached up, but chances are 2024 is spent getting experience and getting everyone on the same page.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 04:49 PM   #4
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Cowboys introduced Mike Zimmer today. Even though Jerry Jones wasn't physically at the press conference listening to Zimmer you know he was in the press conference. McCarthy has to be feeling like he's on the hot seat and walking on eggshells if anything goes wrong next season.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 09:02 AM   #5
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Was talking to a fellow fan at work the other day and in reference to the talent, free agents, etc: I don’t care about anyone on this team.

You are coming off the worst season since Zorn/Spurrier error. Get rid of everyone. I don’t care if they sign Curl, trade Allen, cut Thomas or move Sam. I’m numb to our current talent.

The only guys I may have a slight inclination of moving forward would be Terry, Payne, Dotson, Cosmi…but if Peters moved on from any of these folks I could care less

I’d like a brand new team and think a complete turnover is needed. I’d like us to be active in free agency in bringing in guys who can actually play…too long we suffered from middling talent.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 09:28 AM   #6
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

There's definitely talent on this team. The previous coaches just didn't know how to get the most of their talent.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 09:43 AM   #7
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
There's definitely talent on this team. The previous coaches just didn't know how to get the most of their talent.
I think Forbes will be the ultimate test on the old staff. It's gonna be a huge knock on them if Forbes plays well this year.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 10:28 AM   #8
davy
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Was talking to a fellow fan at work the other day and in reference to the talent, free agents, etc: I don’t care about anyone on this team.

You are coming off the worst season since Zorn/Spurrier error. Get rid of everyone. I don’t care if they sign Curl, trade Allen, cut Thomas or move Sam. I’m numb to our current talent.

The only guys I may have a slight inclination of moving forward would be Terry, Payne, Dotson, Cosmi…but if Peters moved on from any of these folks I could care less

I’d like a brand new team and think a complete turnover is needed. I’d like us to be active in free agency in bringing in guys who can actually play…too long we suffered from middling talent.
That's a massive turnaround from what you said 3 posts earlier.
Old 02-16-2024, 01:57 PM   #9
Meks
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I think Forbes will be the ultimate test on the old staff. It's gonna be a huge knock on them if Forbes plays well this year.
between scheme and coaching i agree to an extent - it also will depend on him improving physically and mentally in the off-season - plus it will be his 2nd year. A lot of his development as a player/person is on him and the experience he gained this year will go a long way.

But from an outside POV you're right. The new staff will get hella praise and the old, well, they'll get what they deserve.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 02:15 PM   #10
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
In his introductory press conference, new HC Dan Quinn called this off-season a recalibration for our team. I want to expand that to the whole of the NFC East.
Looking at all 4 teams even the winning ones were in meltdown mode as the season ended.

Philly - fired OC and DC, and brought in Kellen Moore as the OC, and Vic Fangio as their DC, either one of whom could be put in as interim HC if their late-season struggles continue into the start of next season. Plus they are losing several mainstay players due to age.
per overthecap.com: Effective Cap Space: 16.2M(rank #16) players under contract 2024: 62 draft picks:9

Dallas - Lost 3 defensive coaches and brought in Zimmer as DC. Pollard, Tyron Smith likely leaves in FA. Gillmore is a FA too, and I don't think it's a stretch for him to follow Quinn/Whitt to DC
Effective Cap Space: -22.8M(#27) players under contract:60 draft picks:7

NYG - If Washington was it's usual epitome of dysfunction last season, the Giants took it to a whole new level with rumors of the DC creating his own fiefdom, and the HC going ballistic randomly. They also fired their DC and brought in the Titans DC to replace him. They have 26 free agents (from spotrac.com) including Adoree Jackson and Saquon Barkley. And $47M tied up on a questionable QB.
Effective Cap Space: 14.0M(#18) players under contract:54 draft picks:7

Washington - Fired entire Dan Snyder era shell, and brought in new GM, HC and entire football staff.
Effective Cap Space: 62.6M(#1) players under contract:50 draft picks:9
Cap space is around 24 million and will increase , not great but can be worked with.
Old 02-16-2024, 02:59 PM   #11
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meks View Post
between scheme and coaching i agree to an extent - it also will depend on him improving physically and mentally in the off-season - plus it will be his 2nd year. A lot of his development as a player/person is on him and the experience he gained this year will go a long way.

But from an outside POV you're right. The new staff will get hella praise and the old, well, they'll get what they deserve.
Yeah, if he plays marginally better, that could just be a 2nd year leap. But say he looks good and gets like 4 picks, that's gonna be credit to him but definitely credit to the new staff too. I'm excited to see him play next year, because I still have faith that he can be a good player for us.
Old 02-16-2024, 03:17 PM   #12
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Forbes was yet another HUGE draft mistake by RR. Christian Gonzalez falling to us was one of the easiest picks ever.

Get back to me when Forbes gains 25 pounds of muscle and grows a pair.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 06:00 PM   #13
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Forbes was yet another HUGE draft mistake by RR. Christian Gonzalez falling to us was one of the easiest picks ever.

Get back to me when Forbes gains 25 pounds of muscle and grows a pair.
Funny he is mentioned in this recent espn article as a potential breakout candidate next year

Tannenbaum: Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Commanders. After an up-and-down rookie season, I expect this undersized (6-foot, 180 pounds) corner to thrive in coach Dan Quinn's defense. Forbes had one interception (and nine pass breakups) in 2023, but he had six picks in his final season at Mississippi State.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...out-candidates
Old 02-16-2024, 06:56 PM   #14
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Funny he is mentioned in this recent espn article as a potential breakout candidate next year

Tannenbaum: Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Commanders. After an up-and-down rookie season, I expect this undersized (6-foot, 180 pounds) corner to thrive in coach Dan Quinn's defense. Forbes had one interception (and nine pass breakups) in 2023, but he had six picks in his final season at Mississippi State.

Well, if he was mentioned in a ESPN article then he must be a good player.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 07:16 PM   #15
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post

That aboy Tannenbaum. His season can be way better next year by just 1 coaching decision, DO NOT FUCKING PUT HIM 1-ON-1 ON A.J. BROWN!! Very simple.