Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Portis put on IR, done for '09

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Portis put on IR, done for '09

From Twitter:
Never a dull moment: #Redskins put Clinton Portis on IR, ending his season. CP expected to make full recovery and be back for 2010.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
mlmdub130
Playmaker

Re: Portis put on IR, done for '09

bout time, just a matter of an uncapped year or not as to wether he is here or not

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

As my dad would say, this FO is making all the right moves once nothing is on the line.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Probably best for him.

I'd like to see him splitting carries next season to keep him fresh. He's still great when healthy, but we didn't get to see that CP this season.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
freddyg12
Playmaker

I almost wanted to see him come back to compare him to Ganther, who runs hard & seems to make a little extra in each carry. But this is ultimately for the best, for him & hopefully the team. Ideally I hope he gets in top shape & eats some humble pie, comes back ready to practice & split carries in 2010.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
bout time, just a matter of an uncapped year or not as to wether he is here or not
Not really. He's still cuttable in 2010, even with a cap. According to the information on this site, we'd even save about 2MM in cap space if we cut him. I don't expect him back, especially if we bring in a "big name" coach. they won't want to put up with him.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
rbanerjee23
The Starter

Time for him to take a pay cut

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #8
FRPLG
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbanerjee23 View Post
Time for him to take a pay cut
Why in the world would he?
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #9
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Man that sucks for CP. I think we have seen the last of him in a Skins uniform...not seeing Portis, Samuels, and Randy Thomas on the field is going to be strange (well maybe not Thomas) they brought alot and will be missed, but its time to move on....

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #10
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Portis talking a little bit like it's potentially a career ender..

Portis on radio - Redskins 360 - Washington Times

On the other hand, he sounded like he thinks his career is in doubt because of the concussion he sustained last month at Atlanta.

"If it’s my time, I think I had a great career," he said.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #11
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Why in the world would he?
Well he's scheduled to make about 10MM in 2010. If we cut him, he wouldnt be able to find anyone willing to pay him more than 4MM. So, hypothetically, we could meet him halfway and pay him 6MM. That said, I hope we don't do it and just cut ties with him.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #12
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Ok, now it's time to simply start the thread called..."Players put on IR."

Not picking on anyone, just saying we seem to be having a demolition derby year when you put this many people on IR and the season is not yet over. I hope no one else ends up there but I could seriously see it. Not going to mention any names so as to not jinx them.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:41 PM   #13
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Ok, now it's time to simply start the thread called..."Players put on IR."

Not picking on anyone, just saying we seem to be having a demolition derby year when you put this many people on IR and the season is not yet over. I hope no one else ends up there but I could seriously see it. Not going to mention any names so as to not jinx them.
Honestly, at this point, putting guys on IR will only benefit the team - injured players get a head start on rehabbing, so that theyre ready to play for us (or someone else if they're traded) in 2010, AND since the season is lost, we can start playing some younger guys so that they have some live regular-season NFL experience going in to next year. Considering some of the teams we'll be playing are fighting for playoff spots, it'll really help us see which players are worth keeping.

it'll also make some off-season decisions easier. i've been fairly impressed with tryon, barnes, and even westbrook. While i'd certainly love got keep Rogers, he's become fairly expendable in my opinion. Same goes for ARE, and perhaps even Carter, if we wanted to save come cap space. Ganther is by no means a feature back, but knowing what he, cartwright, and betts can do makes me alot more comfortable with letting Portis go and not having to spend a 1st day draft pick on an RB.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:43 PM   #14
MonkFan4Life
The Starter

Well I can finally cut him from my Fantasy Team. Ahhh shit I tell you this is murder. Really needed Clinton to come back, I could use that 15-20 points a week. At least this way he can get healthy for next year. Maybe I can sign Quinton Ganther/Gaither ? Whatever hs name is.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DowntimeRB?feature=mhw5

The "punishment" by the league : "It's like getting a ticket for going too fast on a road a week ago and they changed the speed limit today"
MonkFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:43 PM   #15
MTK
\m/

No big surprise here at all. To have lingering effects weeks after it happened is pretty serious.

Man, what a crazy year it's been. Like it or not we're going to be facing some significant roster turnover next year due to all of these serious injuries. Our hand has been forced, but maybe that's a good thing. We've got too many bloated contracts with guys on the back end of their careers.