Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

School me on Verizon Fios

Parking Lot

Old 05-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
mredskins
Gamebreaker

School me on Verizon Fios

They just laid the fiber optics in my hood and I am wondering if it is worth.

Anyone one's thoughts would be appreciated...

I have had DTV and currently Comcast. the DTV sucked due to my location and signal the Comcast has been ok but their equipment is so old and useless. The on screen menu is so awful and the DVR makes me want to puke.

Advertisements
Old 05-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Re: School me on Verizon Fios

I have Fios tv but will be getting rid of if in a week, but its not because i dont like Fios tv.

I think its the best choice of the 3. The picture quality is as good or better then satellite and when you change channels its as fast as cable. Its the best of both worlds with only 1 major draw back..... The inital customer service SUCKS. The worst ive ever dealt with in my life. Once you get everything installed in your house youre good to go though.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I'm stuck with Comcast now after having to leave FIOS. I contemplate suicide daily.

One thing to keep in mind, you can haggle them down a bit at the beginning. Make sure to haggle when you start up the contract. You can get a really good price.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #4
Ruhskins
Living Legend

I have had DirecTv and Comcast; I currently have FiOS (I live in Howard Co., MD). So far everything has been great. Comcast is super expensive in these areas and DirecTv's signal sucks. I have their TV/Internet/Phone bundle for about 150 bucks (including HBO and Cinemax). I like their picture quality and availability of channels. I think their On Demand stuff could be better. However, the best thing for me is being able to get DC Channels (which I couldn't get with DirecTv). I really haven't had customer service issues, and when my contract was up, they gave me a bundle discount that was pretty similar to what they were giving new people.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I have had DirecTv and Comcast; I currently have FiOS (I live in Howard Co., MD). So far everything has been great. Comcast is super expensive in these areas and DirecTv's signal sucks. I have their TV/Internet/Phone bundle for about 150 bucks (including HBO and Cinemax). I like their picture quality and availability of channels. I think their On Demand stuff could be better. However, the best thing for me is being able to get DC Channels (which I couldn't get with DirecTv). I really haven't had customer service issues, and when my contract was up, they gave me a bundle discount that was pretty similar to what they were giving new people.

Ok sounds good. I get DC Fox right now on Comcast in Harford County so I am hoping that holds true with Fios.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Ok sounds good. I get DC Fox right now on Comcast in Harford County so I am hoping that holds true with Fios.
Do you get it in HD? I have Comcast in Howard County and I get the DC stations but only in SD. On the one hand its good because I can always watch the Skins play but on the other hand watching SD on an HDTV sucks.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
Do you get it in HD? I have Comcast in Howard County and I get the DC stations but only in SD. On the one hand its good because I can always watch the Skins play but on the other hand watching SD on an HDTV sucks.

On Comcast I get both SD and HD DC Fox. I am looking at Fios channel line up for Harford County, looks like I only get B-more Fox.

According to the lineup for Howard you should get it on 517 in HD.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #8
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
On Comcast I get both SD and HD DC Fox. I am looking at Fios channel line up for Harford County, looks like I only get B-more Fox.

Um, maybe it's new. Over the last month or so Comcast in my area has added a ton of HD channels.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #9
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I have comcast and have never had anything else. Mostly 'cause I just don't feel like messing with it.

Just curious as to what people's issues with Comcast are. What's better about DTV or FiOS? (Other than "Everything"). They've been responsive, price is a little high but I have always negotiated the stated price down.

Just curious why they have such a bad rep?
Old 05-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #10
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
I have comcast and have never had anything else. Mostly 'cause I just don't feel like messing with it.

Just curious as to what people's issues with Comcast are. What's better about DTV or FiOS? (Other than "Everything"). They've been responsive, price is a little high but I have always negotiated the stated price down.

I've always found Comcast to be very expensive compared to DirecTV and FiOS. DirecTV is probably the cheapest, but I think their service sucks. I got tired of having to cross my fingers during the rain so I wouldn't lose my signal.

Also, I thought the picture quality for Comcast wasn't that great. I also think FiOS gives me more options with HBO and Cinemax Channels (like the East and West coast version of all of their channels). But as I said, I always felt that money was the main issue.

I will say that I liked Comcast On Demand options a bit better than FiOS, but I can live with FiOS on demand options.

And I do get both DC and Baltimore Channels in HD with FiOS in Howard County.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #11
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:

Just got home - No dice on the Fox DC in HD. Rat farts.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #12
saden1
MVP

The level of suckyness of service depends on the space-time continuum and your customer service agent. Comcast is pricey around here but calling and threatening to cancel usual gets the job down. Comcast service quality in my area is top notch (flawless HD, Upload/Download speeds), "Verizon" not so much because they sold their interest in the area.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #13
mredskins
Gamebreaker

I pay $150 for Comcast a month includes phone, internet 2DVR boxes and two HD boxes. No premium channels.

My issue with them is mainly their old equipment. The DVr will make you want to pull your hair out it is so awful, especially if you come from a Tivo box.

Now they are upgrading the menu this week so we shall see.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:53 AM   #14
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post

JR:

First of all, the picture is much, much better with FiOS. The first time I fired FiOS up I thought I had accidentally switched TVs with someone the picture was so much crisper. I think the whole XFINITY thing has started to combat the picture quality, but still not there.

Equipment. FiOS receivers are quick, intuitive and sleek looking. Comcast receivers seem to take forever to switch channels, their menu is hideous and difficult to use. The only issue with FiOS is the actiontec router to me, not a huge fan of it -- but I've seen worse!

Channel lineup: I found FiOS has a lot more of the channels I want to watch. This comes down to personal preference, but to me the lineup is superior.

Internet. FiOS internet runs circles around Comcast. End of story.

One thing I want to say to wrap it up is all my dealings with both companies (I've basically moved every year for the past 6ish years, so seen both a few times.) have been in Northern VA.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #15
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
JR:

First of all, the picture is much, much better with FiOS. The first time I fired FiOS up I thought I had accidentally switched TVs with someone the picture was so much crisper. I think the whole XFINITY thing has started to combat the picture quality, but still not there.

Equipment. FiOS receivers are quick, intuitive and sleek looking. Comcast receivers seem to take forever to switch channels, their menu is hideous and difficult to use. The only issue with FiOS is the actiontec router to me, not a huge fan of it -- but I've seen worse!

Channel lineup: I found FiOS has a lot more of the channels I want to watch. This comes down to personal preference, but to me the lineup is superior.

Internet. FiOS internet runs circles around Comcast. End of story.

One thing I want to say to wrap it up is all my dealings with both companies (I've basically moved every year for the past 6ish years, so seen both a few times.) have been in Northern VA.
Am I missing something here? How the hell is the picture quality better? Is Comcast downscaling? Is Verizon doing 1080P? The digital signals are the same, the TV's you watch it on are not.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote