Scott Weiland, a Symbolic Voice of the Shifting ’90s Rock Scene

Advertisements
Old 12-04-2015, 09:30 PM   #2
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: RIP Scott Weiland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Damn matty was just reading about the tonight, truely sad. Will b interesting to see if it was herion or speedball.

Got to see STP live when I was 17. I had a party over my parents house while they were at work...drinking 40s of colt 45, probably smoking blunts and had about 3 car loads of people drive about 5o minutes away to the show. Just a great time, good music, and just ballin
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:09 PM   #3
FRPLG
MVP

Loved STP back then. I was a little too young to realise they were mooching Pearl Jam but in the end they actually outlasted three of the big four. I actually in retrospect think they're pretty damn underrated. Sad to hear about Weiland. Drugs suck. Don't do 'em people.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #4
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

It's unfortunate that he passed away so young. The only time I ever saw them live was back in 2011ish at the DC101 CCO, and I'm not gonna lie, it was easily the worst show I've ever attended. They were headlining, AIC rocked the crowd right before them, then they made us wait over an hour before they took the stage. It was clear Weiland was lit, he was slurring his words and stumbling everywhere. I was pretty disappointed back then. If the reports about his relapse are true I won't be surprised. Addiction is a motherfucker. RIP Scott Weiland.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:34 PM   #5
MTK
\m/

A couple of my friends just saw him perform a few days ago. Wish I could have seen STP in their prime.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:48 PM   #6
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

I hate to say this because it sounds like I'm getting old...but damn I was lucky to come along when I did becuase the music growing up was damn good and just rock n roll. Bands giving everything live and it was essentially popular music under the label of grunge or alternative. Bands like nirvana, STP, soundgarden, pearl jam, smashing pumpkins, AIC, Janes addiction etc...even bands that got effng huge like rem, u2, Metallica, chili peppers or bands that were slightly more underground like sonic youth, dinosaur jr, primus, nine inch nails, pixies, breeders etc WERE Effin Great Rockin roll and didn't give a fuck about image or style.

Dudes, popular music today is effing garbage. Skrillx? Imagine dragons? Fuckin terrrrrible hip hop acts.

What happen to Rock music? I mean this stuff sux...even the stuff that passes for rock is borderline whimpy..there are some indie stuff that is good, but in popular music, rock is kinda dead.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:29 AM   #7
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I hate to say this because it sounds like I'm getting old...but damn I was lucky to come along when I did becuase the music growing up was damn good and just rock n roll. Bands giving everything live and it was essentially popular music under the label of grunge or alternative. Bands like nirvana, STP, soundgarden, pearl jam, smashing pumpkins, AIC, Janes addiction etc...even bands that got effng huge like rem, u2, Metallica, chili peppers or bands that were slightly more underground like sonic youth, dinosaur jr, primus, nine inch nails, pixies, breeders etc WERE Effin Great Rockin roll and didn't give a fuck about image or style.

Dudes, popular music today is effing garbage. Skrillx? Imagine dragons? Fuckin terrrrrible hip hop acts.

What happen to Rock music? I mean this stuff sux...even the stuff that passes for rock is borderline whimpy..there are some indie stuff that is good, but in popular music, rock is kinda dead.

Chico ,I think a lot of people feel the same way you do.I know I do but I'm older than you {60) The Beatles in their prime ,the Stones ,the Who, Santana,Jefferson Airplane,CSN&Y,Dylan,the Beach Boys,early Springsteen,the Eagles ,Chicago in it's heyday,Cream, the Byrds etc.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #8
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Chico ,I think a lot of people feel the same way you do.I know I do but I'm older than you {60) The Beatles in their prime ,the Stones ,the Who, Santana,Jefferson Airplane,CSN&Y,Dylan,the Beach Boys,early Springsteen,the Eagles ,Chicago in it's heyday,Cream, the Byrds etc.
Yeah, the British Invasion, haight-ashbury scene and Woodstock scene 65-69 was that landmark culture shift was probably the biggest in music history. It changed popular music forever.

The scene I'm talking 1990-1995 was pretty big...Seattle, alternative going mainstream(i.e. College, punk rock) and the emergence of hip hop. It literally killed 80s. The indie rock scene we have today is literally based on that period (sub pop, matador labels).