Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

The "I Can't Deal With This Right Now" Thread

Parking Lot

Old 03-31-2015, 11:48 AM   #1
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

The "I Can't Deal With This Right Now" Thread

This might be closely related to the bad news thread, but I figured we needed a thread that deals specifically with those "Not now" type of things that always seem to happen at the wrong time (not that there is ever a right time!) So, here's mine:

So I just had my 40th birthday. Prior to my birthday, my wife had given me a choice of a big birthday party, or a big gift. Well, of course I chose the gift. Now, the gift was going to be a brand new riding lawn mower, because the one my dad gave to me is about 30 years old and it doesn't work. I have a lot of grass to mow, and push mowing it is killer! But, I digress.....

She also knew that I had wanted a Playstation 4. Now as you guys know from one of my other threads, the PS4 she surprised me with came bricked, so we sent it back.

OK, well, over the weekend, we discovered that a hole that was in our front yard turned out to be at least 20+ feet deep! Apparently, the well used to be there and was moved, but the hole was never filled in. I knew the hole was there, but it never seemed that deep and wasn't a very big hole. Well, apparently, the hole is growing and this past weekend was the first time we were able to tell just how deep the hole really is!

Secondly, my friend who's renting my house in VA informs me last night that he has no water. I got him to check the breaker, check the facet outside, seeing if there were any leaks. He couldn't find anything and the breaker was not tripped. So, either the well has went dry, or the pump has failed on it - which by the way, the pump at the well was replaced five years ago.

Sooooooo.....how does all of that tie in? Well, the money that was going to be used for the Playstation will have to be used to fix the growing hole in our front yard. It's a priority, because when my son gets his feet under him, he could fall into that hole! Secondly, if the job at my rental house turns out to be what I am thinking it is, then that's going to wipe out the money we were going to use to get the new law mower.

So, to sum up, Skinsguy winds up getting no big birthday party and no big present for his 40th! Yes, I'm pouting a little bit!

Advertisements
Old 03-31-2015, 07:44 PM   #2
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Re: The "I Can't Deal With This Right Now" Thread

I had my taxes done today and.......I owe
BUT, gladly I can pay it....begrudgingly
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:57 AM   #3
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
I had my taxes done today and.......I owe
BUT, gladly I can pay it....begrudgingly
Yeah, I probably was thinking the worst yesterday. I had a buddy of mine come and take a look at the well last night. He's much more of a handyman/mechanical guy than I am, and worst case scenario would be having to replace the pump, which would be around $300-$400, which would still zap the money for the PS4, but that's more "doable". The best case scenario is a wire that got cut or came loose (electrical) that he can connect back to the pump - which would be a $25 fix. Certainly I'm hoping for that avenue!
Old 04-01-2015, 08:16 AM   #4
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I feel you. Just bought a new phone last month (paid retail price for it), then I did my taxes and found out I owe more in taxes than what I paid for the new phone. Then last week my car started having issues when I turn it on, so I have my tech check it out and he said I need a new starter. Well I'm thinking, I work in parts, a starter shouldn't be too expensive because I assumed I could get an OEM reman for about half the cost of a brand new starter. So I call around to my local aftermarket shops and the dealer and I found out nobody offers reman, so I gotta go new. (S/N I could go super cheap, but I prefer quality parts on my car because I've seen firsthand how many cars come back after we install cheap parts on them). Long story short, looks like a pb-j diet for the next few weeks until I get my finances under control.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:11 AM   #5
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
This might be closely related to the bad news thread, but I figured we needed a thread that deals specifically with those "Not now" type of things that always seem to happen at the wrong time (not that there is ever a right time!) So, here's mine:

So I just had my 40th birthday. Prior to my birthday, my wife had given me a choice of a big birthday party, or a big gift. Well, of course I chose the gift. Now, the gift was going to be a brand new riding lawn mower, because the one my dad gave to me is about 30 years old and it doesn't work. I have a lot of grass to mow, and push mowing it is killer! But, I digress.....

She also knew that I had wanted a Playstation 4. Now as you guys know from one of my other threads, the PS4 she surprised me with came bricked, so we sent it back.

OK, well, over the weekend, we discovered that a hole that was in our front yard turned out to be at least 20+ feet deep! Apparently, the well used to be there and was moved, but the hole was never filled in. I knew the hole was there, but it never seemed that deep and wasn't a very big hole. Well, apparently, the hole is growing and this past weekend was the first time we were able to tell just how deep the hole really is!

Secondly, my friend who's renting my house in VA informs me last night that he has no water. I got him to check the breaker, check the facet outside, seeing if there were any leaks. He couldn't find anything and the breaker was not tripped. So, either the well has went dry, or the pump has failed on it - which by the way, the pump at the well was replaced five years ago.

Sooooooo.....how does all of that tie in? Well, the money that was going to be used for the Playstation will have to be used to fix the growing hole in our front yard. It's a priority, because when my son gets his feet under him, he could fall into that hole! Secondly, if the job at my rental house turns out to be what I am thinking it is, then that's going to wipe out the money we were going to use to get the new law mower.

So, to sum up, Skinsguy winds up getting no big birthday party and no big present for his 40th! Yes, I'm pouting a little bit!
Wait hold the phone; didn't several years back you gave me a hard time for renting out properties?
Old 04-01-2015, 10:43 AM   #6
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Wait hold the phone; didn't several years back you gave me a hard time for renting out properties?
he used the word "friend" to combat your attack.

unless he was giving you shit for renting to friends, then yeah, hold that phone.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:42 PM   #7
over the mountain
Playmaker

I am posting this for another person who definitely had a "I cant deal with this right now" moment ... yesterday.

I see road rage everyday. sometimes i am the road rage person others get to see.

yesterday i saw something that I have never seen before. it was quite awesome.

On I 95 north as you get close to Baltimore, there is a left exit only lane to get onto 695 west. Many times the line of stopped cars waiting in the left exit lane can stretch miles. the 4 lanes going straight are usually going pretty fast. Many times cars can go all the way up front and then hop in front of a slow accelerating tractor trailer or inattentive driver.

To combat this violation of our unwritten rules of society, I often get into the lane next to the left turn exit lane so that if a car in front of me slows down to try and cut in line, I can blare my horn at them for going 5 mph in a 65 when our lane is clear.

Anyway, yesterday a car tried to cut in the line and the person who they cut in front of was not having it. he slowly made contact with the rear panel of the cutting car, slowly turned the car sideways then slowly pushed the car t-bone style. at this point I couldnt see anymore in my rear view mirror.

it was hilarious. the guy was expertly using his car to turn this other car and then push it. he was like a surgeon and his car the scapula.

masterful performance good sir. of course you are SOL in terms of insurance and perhaps will get a traffic citation but know that many on the road that day gave you a silent applause.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:01 PM   #8
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
I may have, but in my situation, it wasn't by choice that I became a landlord. In fact, I did try to sell the house before I moved to NC, but it never sold. So, instead of leaving it empty and having to pay two mortgages, I offered it to a friend to move in and pay me enough in rent to cover the mortgage and the taxes on the house. Believe me, this house is not a moneymaker for me.

In fact, there's several thousand dollars worth of stuff I need to do to the house to really get it in best shape to sell, but it comes down to putting money into that house or putting money into things I need to for the house I'm living in now (such as replacing the roof, painting, etc...) Honestly at this point, I'd sell the house for what I have left on it just to get it off my hands.

However, if I were to buy up properties in order to rent them out and turn a profit, I would most certainly save the money and buy them straight out. Because having multiple mortgages can become a nightmare!
Old 04-01-2015, 03:06 PM   #9
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Yeah, I probably was thinking the worst yesterday. I had a buddy of mine come and take a look at the well last night. He's much more of a handyman/mechanical guy than I am, and worst case scenario would be having to replace the pump, which would be around $300-$400, which would still zap the money for the PS4, but that's more "doable". The best case scenario is a wire that got cut or came loose (electrical) that he can connect back to the pump - which would be a $25 fix. Certainly I'm hoping for that avenue!

LOL , I'll trade you ?Dec 7 at 4:am 2014 (a Sunday morning )I discovered that our downstairs bathroom had exploded with sewage ,a tree root had broken and grown threw the PCV pipe of almost 27 years old (we built the house).To solve the problem that day I called a plumber and he snake through the root ,500$,the next day he came back and "camera it" ,200$ and since is was on my side of the blow out I had to cover the cost to fix it ,dig it up and repair ,4200$ now our Insurance (Erie) covered the inside of the house but 2wks before Christmas I had to lay out a 5 grand nugget . .Repairs were completed to the inside of the house ...finally on 3/24/2015 .

There will be other birthdays and I'm sure the wife will make it up to you.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:10 PM   #10
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
LOL , I'll trade you ?Dec 7 at 4:am 2014 (a Sunday morning )I discovered that our downstairs bathroom had exploded with sewage ,a tree root had broken and grown threw the PCV pipe of almost 27 years old (we built the house).To solve the problem that day I called a plumber and he snake through the root ,500$,the next day he came back and "camera it" ,200$ and since is was on my side of the blow out I had to cover the cost to fix it ,dig it up and repair ,4200$ now our Insurance (Erie) covered the inside of the house but 2wks before Christmas I had to lay out a 5 grand nugget . .Repairs were completed to the inside of the house ...finally on 3/24/2015 .

I'm so distracted by the weird punctuation that I can't even follow what you're saying.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:12 PM   #11
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
I am posting this for another person who definitely had a "I cant deal with this right now" moment ... yesterday.

I see road rage everyday. sometimes i am the road rage person others get to see.

yesterday i saw something that I have never seen before. it was quite awesome.

On I 95 north as you get close to Baltimore, there is a left exit only lane to get onto 695 west. Many times the line of stopped cars waiting in the left exit lane can stretch miles. the 4 lanes going straight are usually going pretty fast. Many times cars can go all the way up front and then hop in front of a slow accelerating tractor trailer or inattentive driver.

To combat this violation of our unwritten rules of society, I often get into the lane next to the left turn exit lane so that if a car in front of me slows down to try and cut in line, I can blare my horn at them for going 5 mph in a 65 when our lane is clear.

Anyway, yesterday a car tried to cut in the line and the person who they cut in front of was not having it. he slowly made contact with the rear panel of the cutting car, slowly turned the car sideways then slowly pushed the car t-bone style. at this point I couldnt see anymore in my rear view mirror.

it was hilarious. the guy was expertly using his car to turn this other car and then push it. he was like a surgeon and his car the scapula.

masterful performance good sir. of course you are SOL in terms of insurance and perhaps will get a traffic citation but know that many on the road that day gave you a silent applause.
That is awesome and I applaud his efforts! I see similar things like that all the time here. I can't stand people who will get into a left turn only lane to cut people off in the right lane that's going straight. Almost always it's someone in an expensive BMW or Mercedes. I never let them get in front of me though. I'm not that nice on the road.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:14 PM   #12
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post

Life as a homeowner is most definitely never a dull moment!
Old 02-17-2016, 04:40 PM   #13
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Car messed up on the way to work yesterday...got it to my mechanic same day.

Got a call from him..who is top notch mechanic, but a better person...said "Chico, Im sorry but your car is f*cking up...diagnostic are saying stuff he'd never seen"

Said if he could replaced to the fuel pump, but that might not fix it. Said a dealership probably could tell you better. Also said warrenty clause might could cover it. He also charged me nothing for looking and researching it.

Driving it down to the dealership today afterwork. Gotta stop by and get some Vaseline before I do.

I cant deal with this shit right now!

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:17 PM   #14
That Guy
Living Legend

grats on the first guy not charging you $800 to not fix it. that's actually pretty good news (until the dealership makes up for it).
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:32 AM   #15
over the mountain
Playmaker

On the 270 to 495 split this morning, there was an accident and a pick up truck with a bunch of boxes had spilled a ton of pencil size nail type metal needle things .. the guys were picking them up as traffic weaved by them.

They were dealing with it pretty well imo.