Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Bricked PS4

Parking Lot

Old 03-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #1
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Bricked PS4

So, my wife surprised me yesterday by getting me a PS4 for my 40th birthday. I've been wanting one ever since it came out - well, either the PS4 or a XBOX ONE. Anyways, I hooked it up and found it was bricked. It sent me to a safe mode screen where it had some error about not being able to load the hard drives. I'm paraphrasing, of course. It gave some error code (I can't remember the code right now).

So anyway, I searched the internet trying to find out the cause of this, and if it was fixable. Come to find out, the supposed cause was a missing screw in the hard drive bay that kept the hard drive from moving. Supposedly, replacing the screw and powering up fixes it the problem.

Well, not so with my PS4. There were no screws missing and the hard drives seemed to be securely installed in the bay. So, right back in the box it went and off to UPS today! Man, talking about getting your hopes up and crushing them! She's going to try to order another one, but what if I get the same problem again? Should I just swear off having a PS4?

Advertisements
Old 03-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #2
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Bricked PS4

That sounds like an unusual problem. I love mine. You'll probably be all taken care of once the exchange takes place.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:19 PM   #3
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
That sounds like an unusual problem. I love mine. You'll probably be all taken care of once the exchange takes place.
Hopefully so! she sent it back today. As soon as we get refunded, we're going to try to order another one. Naturally the first thing I want to play on it will be Madden, lol!
Old 03-19-2015, 08:32 AM   #4
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Hopefully opening up didn't void the warranty/return.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:00 AM   #5
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Hopefully opening up didn't void the warranty/return.
Actually, the case felt like it was loose from the beginning. Could have been a return that Sony thought they had fixed? My wife is supposed to be sending it back today. As soon as we get our money back, we'll order another one.

So, in terms of graphics, would you guys consider PS4 having much better graphics than the PS3, or is it just a slight difference?
Old 03-19-2015, 10:05 AM   #6
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Until they stop making PS3 and Xbox 360 games none of these new machines will meet their potential. Developers have not fully focused on them yet, it is getting close though.

To bad neither the Xbox 1 or the PS4 will ever be 4k ready. Sony and Microsoft really missed the boat on that one.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:36 AM   #7
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Actually, the case felt like it was loose from the beginning. Could have been a return that Sony thought they had fixed? My wife is supposed to be sending it back today. As soon as we get our money back, we'll order another one.

So, in terms of graphics, would you guys consider PS4 having much better graphics than the PS3, or is it just a slight difference?

Depends on the game regarding the graphics. Mostly the differences are subtle, but noticeable.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:24 AM   #8
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Depends on the game regarding the graphics. Mostly the differences are subtle, but noticeable.
Certainly the first game I'll probably get is Madden. I'm usually more into playing the sports games than the shooter games. Plus, my wife is so scared I'm going to get a shooter game and get addicted to it, lol!
Old 03-20-2015, 12:39 PM   #9
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Certainly the first game I'll probably get is Madden. I'm usually more into playing the sports games than the shooter games. Plus, my wife is so scared I'm going to get a shooter game and get addicted to it, lol!

I really like Madden 15. Be sure to check out The Last of Us too if you didn't play it on the PS3.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:42 AM   #10
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I really like Madden 15. Be sure to check out The Last of Us too if you didn't play it on the PS3.
My friend gave me a voucher to download The Last of Us. Now, I'm not really into shooter games, and my wife is scared to death if I start playing them that I'll play them in front of our son, and etc, etc, etc....I'll probably still download the game and play it when everybody has went to bed. However, if it's one of those adventure games that kind of rolls out like a movie, then I like those.

I do plan on getting Madden 15. And I know this is going to sound weird, but the Lego Batman that was supposed to have come with my PS4 bundle actually looked really fun! I might have to pick that game up if my next PS4 bundle doesn't come with it or no games.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:34 PM   #11
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Console gaming maybe dieing off; sadly.

Console Gaming is Dying. Long Live iOS Gaming. | Siva Om | iPhone Life

And now Nintendo of all players is releasing their software to mobile devices; that is big.

Mobile gaming is bringing in the $$$ right now.

I fawking hate mobile gaming; I don't like one game on there.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:35 PM   #12
Schneed10
A Dude

Dragon Age Inquisition has very noticeable graphics and physics on the PS4 platform compared to the older generation. Your player reacts to every change in elevation, even if just stepping on a little stone the player's knee short-steps it. It brings terrain into play as a significant factor in the game, very cool.

The biggest difference I notice with regards to graphics is the realistic effects of lighting. If you're looking into the sun you feel blinded just like you would if you were outside. If you're in the sun and trying to look into a dark cave, you can't see crap. And they do a good job of adjusting the colors to reflect the angle of the sun. If it's late in the day things get that orange hue. There's also a level done under moonlight which is exceptional.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:37 PM   #13
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Console gaming maybe dieing off; sadly.

Console Gaming is Dying. Long Live iOS Gaming. | Siva Om | iPhone Life

And now Nintendo of all players is releasing their software to mobile devices; that is big.

Mobile gaming is bringing in the $$$ right now.

I fawking hate mobile gaming; I don't like one game on there.
I think mobile gaming will have the same impact as the Wii, it will appeal to players who want their games to be simple, easy to use, and intuitive. But in the end it just doesn't permit the same complexity as a PS4 or XBox One controller does.

You'll have casual gamers loving the iOS games, but serious gamers will still want a console. There's too many of us for the business to just abandon.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:38 PM   #14
Schneed10
A Dude

Matty will back me up on that for sure.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:15 PM   #15
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I think mobile gaming will have the same impact as the Wii, it will appeal to players who want their games to be simple, easy to use, and intuitive. But in the end it just doesn't permit the same complexity as a PS4 or XBox One controller does.

You'll have casual gamers loving the iOS games, but serious gamers will still want a console. There's too many of us for the business to just abandon.
I tend to agree but the Wii is still a console gaming system.

Everyone (for the most part) has a cell phone thus making a larger market thus more revenue. So I would think the thought would be go after that market from game developers.

Kids in my hood all play iPads/ tablets none are really excited about the PS4 or xbox.