Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Facebook

Parking Lot

Old 05-11-2007, 03:22 PM   #1
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Facebook

So, I know all of my friends are on facebook, but I just joined. I don't realize, yet, why it's supposedly so cool. Anyone care to enlighten me?
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-11-2007, 03:49 PM   #2
BigSKINBauer
Pro Bowl

Re: Facebook

good way to keep in touch with friends. I there aare people that use it too much and are addicted but its a good tool. Like for example, when its someone's birthday, people are able to know.
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
MTK
\m/

Is this another myspace type of deal?

If I put in my work email, will I only be able to find work friends?
Old 05-11-2007, 06:32 PM   #4
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Yes Matty, you can.

Another good thing is that you can use it to organize parties. Like legit ones, beside the just word of mouth. You can create events and send it to your friends, its funny because just this yr in uva its getting really common, so you pretty much know where the parties are gonna be at if you know the right people.

I think it is really helpful.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:42 PM   #5
GMScud
Swearinger

I prefer myspace over facebook, just b/c most of my friends are on myspace, but facebook is cool for pictures for sure. He Sheriff, I just added you as a friend on facebook...
Old 04-08-2015, 02:27 PM   #6
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

So I was going to post a thread about Facebook aging out when I stumbled across this 8 year old thread about Facebook that one of our long lost Warpath colleagues posted. The posts make me laugh now! You can tell that the younger crowd was really embracing it back in the day!

Nowadays, Facebook has aged out. The younger crowd is leaving Facebook in droves. Time magazine says that over 11 million young Facebook users have left Facebook since 2011. The reasons given are that Facebook has become a risky tool, has become overly complicated, and has been overrun by parents - and even grandparents!

It's almost like a virtual race. Teenagers and college age students race to the next "big thing" and leave it when their parents show up. So, off to the next social media app.

So the question is, what is the next big social app that us oldies will plan to invade? Will it be Snapchat? Google+? Or something else in the works that we don't know about yet? Personally, I vote for the good ol' days of programming your own website and creating old virtual communities like the days of old (90's).
Old 04-08-2015, 02:31 PM   #7
Schneed10
A Dude

Are you burying Facebook?
Old 04-08-2015, 04:51 PM   #8
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Are you burying Facebook?
Burying Facebook? Depends on how you look at it. In terms of the "coolness" factor, it's dead and buried. The younger generation has already moved on. They use SnapChat or Instagram. In terms of growth? It's no longer growing. It's reached its saturation point. However, it is not declining. And part of the reason why it is not declining is the fact that it's allowed itself to be integrated with all the other social media apps. That's the reason why it hasn't declined. It's had to change its approach to how it does business. But, in terms of the Facebook that overtook MySpace a few years ago, that Facebook is dead and gone.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:46 PM   #9
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Yeah, I agree. It's turned into an easy way that we old fogey's can keep up with our long lost friends or geographically distant family. It's a way for me to share pics of my kids with friends and family across the US, and for most them to do the same. I suspect that facebook is now an established entity (like ebay or amazon) and will remain strong. In fact, I suspect that some the kids who have abandoned facebook for now may "come back home" to it as their friends start moving away or share information with multi-generational friends and family. In many ways it has established itself as the world's personal weblog.

On the other hand, for the more "I am here" "I am doing cool stuff" "LOOK AT ME!!" narcissistic needs of teens and 20's, snap chat and instagram are the mediums.

Another up and coming one is "Yik Yak" which is becoming popular on colleges. It is essentially twitter and instagram (I think) but is only accessible by people in a specific geographic area - like a college campus and its immediate surrounds. Thus, for the most part, parents aren't included AND all your friends are. Not sure of all of its workings 'cause, well, I am a fogey and my friendships are no longer essentially based on geography.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:07 PM   #10
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

26 years old and 3 kids and I haven't posted a single picture of them on Facebook

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:46 AM   #11
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Yeah, I agree. It's turned into an easy way that we old fogey's can keep up with our long lost friends or geographically distant family. It's a way for me to share pics of my kids with friends and family across the US, and for most them to do the same. I suspect that facebook is now an established entity (like ebay or amazon) and will remain strong. In fact, I suspect that some the kids who have abandoned facebook for now may "come back home" to it as their friends start moving away or share information with multi-generational friends and family. In many ways it has established itself as the world's personal weblog.

On the other hand, for the more "I am here" "I am doing cool stuff" "LOOK AT ME!!" narcissistic needs of teens and 20's, snap chat and instagram are the mediums.

Another up and coming one is "Yik Yak" which is becoming popular on colleges. It is essentially twitter and instagram (I think) but is only accessible by people in a specific geographic area - like a college campus and its immediate surrounds. Thus, for the most part, parents aren't included AND all your friends are. Not sure of all of its workings 'cause, well, I am a fogey and my friendships are no longer essentially based on geography.
Facebook and Yik Yak have very similar beginnings. Facebook was a college only application in its infancy, and eventually opened up to everyone a few years later. I joined it when it was still a college network only medium - hardly ever used it in the beginning (because MySpace was still more popular.) I remember when there was a character limit on your posts - kind of wished they still had that sometimes (because I get so tired of people's political rants on there!)

Anyways, it is usually out of the norm to see the younger generation come back to these apps. They tend to jump from one app to the next, and never really come full circle. It's kind of similar with popular music. You don't ever see the music you liked when you were in your teens or early 20's come back and be as popular as it was back then. For the younger people, it's about getting away from the parents and having their own separate things. A lot of them don't usually want to spend more time with the parents until they start having a family of their own. They then start to realize their parents were a lot cooler than what the kids gave them credit for! But I digress...

Facebook has its hands in so many different cookie jars, that they have secured their popularity and profitability for at least a few years longer. But they did this by changing how Facebook does things. You can use so many other apps that tie into Facebook, that you don't even have to use Facebook directly. I believe that three or four years down the road, Facebook will not resemble, at all, what it looks like now. It won't go away, but it won't be the best social medium for things like posting pictures or keeping up with friends.

Heck, what i tend to see more on the Facebook wall is what people have liked. That tends to be mostly click-bait news stories or videos. It's almost like spam! You see more and more stuff like this, and less and less actual posts from your Facebook friends. That, in my opinion, is what will eventually kill Facebook.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:13 AM   #12
Schneed10
A Dude

No offense guys but this is a really stupid discussion. (no offense he says and then lobs a blatant insult)

1) It's just wrong to say Facebook isn't growing. Not growing in the United States? Maybe. Not growing internationally? Not even close. There are huge markets out there that Facebook hasn't pervaded yet.

2) Petulant teenagers who want to steer clear of their parents and everything they do eventually grow into adults who realize mom and dad weren't so crazy after all. Think about it, as an adult now, are you happy to be connected on Facebook to your parents, aunts and uncles? These other social media applications you mention don't offer the same medium for interacting. The narcissism of sharing pictures eventually gives way to a more adult desire to just stay in touch.

3) Facebook has merely scratched the surface with its revenue-generation model. Soon it will be minting money like only Google and Apple. Especially as it moves into more emerging markets. It's not going anywhere anytime (soon, or ever) because it's so F'ing profitable.

I feel like this discussion is about what the kids think is cool these days, rather than the realities of business. Can we bring the thinking up a level?
Old 04-09-2015, 09:16 AM   #13
Schneed10
A Dude

Multiple choice question. If you're a business, who do you target IN ORDER TO MAKE MONEY:

1) 13-24 year olds
2) 25-64 year olds
3) 65+

Jesus Christ.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:39 AM   #14
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
No offense guys but this is a really stupid discussion. (no offense he says and then lobs a blatant insult)

1) It's just wrong to say Facebook isn't growing. Not growing in the United States? Maybe. Not growing internationally? Not even close. There are huge markets out there that Facebook hasn't pervaded yet.

2) Petulant teenagers who want to steer clear of their parents and everything they do eventually grow into adults who realize mom and dad weren't so crazy after all. Think about it, as an adult now, are you happy to be connected on Facebook to your parents, aunts and uncles? These other social media applications you mention don't offer the same medium for interacting. The narcissism of sharing pictures eventually gives way to a more adult desire to just stay in touch.

3) Facebook has merely scratched the surface with its revenue-generation model. Soon it will be minting money like only Google and Apple. Especially as it moves into more emerging markets. It's not going anywhere anytime (soon, or ever) because it's so F'ing profitable.

I feel like this discussion is about what the kids think is cool these days, rather than the realities of business. Can we bring the thinking up a level?
Not everyone has a business mind set they are simply talking it out on a Redskin's web site. I agree with what you said but making others feel small about their "thinking" level is not cool.

You must be a barrel of monkeys at neighborhood BBQ's. We have one like you in our hood we call him 1UP or Mushroom (after the ones in Super Mario you get for a extra guy).

Your a mental giant we got it. Bravo.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:41 AM   #15
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Not everyone has a business mind set they are simply talking it out on a Redskin's web site. I agree with what you said but making others feel small about their "thinking" level is not cool.

You must be a barrel of monkeys at neighborhood BBQ's. We have one like you in our hood we call him 1UP or Mushroom (after the ones in Super Mario you get for a extra guy).

Your a mental giant we got it. Bravo.
*You're