Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

directv is really pissing me off

Other Sports

Old 11-21-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
mlmdub130
Playmaker

directv is really pissing me off

so this i know this is the third week but it might be the fourth week, but espn has been blacked out for college games on saturday. i really don't get how espn can get blacked out for a game while the game isn't a local game and not televised locally. it's driving me crazy, the good thing is they are games i'm not terribly interested in but i love me some football and want to be able to watch all the games. and right now college scoreboard should be on but it's still blacked out, i'm guessing the game thats supposed to be on, penn state vs michigan state, is running long.

does anyone have any idea on how the blackout rules apply to college, and how the hell espn can get blacked out for over 3 hours, cause i really don't get it. and it's pretty damn frustrating.

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-21-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Re: directv is really pissing me off

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
so this i know this is the third week but it might be the fourth week, but espn has been blacked out for college games on saturday. i really don't get how espn can get blacked out for a game while the game isn't a local game and not televised locally. it's driving me crazy, the good thing is they are games i'm not terribly interested in but i love me some football and want to be able to watch all the games. and right now college scoreboard should be on but it's still blacked out, i'm guessing the game thats supposed to be on, penn state vs michigan state, is running long.

does anyone have any idea on how the blackout rules apply to college, and how the hell espn can get blacked out for over 3 hours, cause i really don't get it. and it's pretty damn frustrating.
College blackout rules are a complicated process. But you should at least get some games whether on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU or ESPN360.com. What game did you want to watch?
Old 11-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
mlmdub130
Playmaker

i was just trying to waych a little of the penn state game, the uva game was on abc, just found it wierd that espn would be blackedout for three weeks in a row for the 3 o'clock games. i got plenty of other games but was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with their provider, or if it was directv sucking again, like how we don't get the versus or espnuhd channels because of contract negotiations.

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:43 AM   #4
12thMan
MVP

I'm switching to Comcast tomorrow before the game. I'm just done with DirectTV. Has nothing to do with blackout rules, I'm just SO done with them.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:19 AM   #5
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I'm switching to Comcast tomorrow before the game. I'm just done with DirectTV. Has nothing to do with blackout rules, I'm just SO done with them.
My grandmother wants to change back to Comcast. lol I'm trying to convince her to stay with DTV. Why are you switching back if you don't mind me asking?

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:27 AM   #6
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
That's funny. I've had DirecTV before, and I now have Comcast. I would switch back in a second, but the Comcast Bundle is included in my monthly rent, so keeping them is kind of a no brainer. The only issue I ever had with DirecTV was reception during really bad weather. Comcast's hardware is shit, and their customer service is pretty much the biggest joke I've ever dealt with. I've talked to half a dozen or so reps, and EVERY one of them acted like they were doing me a favor. Rude as hell. I'd love to drop them like a bad habit, but it doesn't really make sense right now. I'll avoid them like the plague on principal when my lease is up here.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:35 AM   #7
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
That's funny. I've had DirecTV before, and I now have Comcast. I would switch back in a second, but the Comcast Bundle is included in my monthly rent, so keeping them is kind of a no brainer. The only issue I ever had with DirecTV was reception during really bad weather. Comcast's hardware is shit, and their customer service is pretty much the biggest joke I've ever dealt with. I've talked to half a dozen or so reps, and EVERY one of them acted like they were doing me a favor. Rude as hell. I'd love to drop them like a bad habit, but it doesn't really make sense right now. I'll avoid them like the plague on principal when my lease is up here.
This is good to know. I hate rude sons of bitches. I really hope I have a good attitude tommorrow when they come to install my cable. They better have my shit ready for the game or you guys might hear about 12thMan..well, I won't go there.

@DRave. I'm switching for the same reasons GMScud just mentioned, service is really shitty during storms and the bundle package. I currently have my wireless service with Comcast and so the cable sort of makes sense. But I'm telling those motherfuckers, in no uncertain terms, I'll switch back in a fucking New York minute if they act like assholes. I've been asking about promotional offers, but they claim there aren't any. But all of this speaks, and I'm not really trying to go there, of lack of competition. In D.C. you basically have Comcast, DirecTV and RNC, which is shitty service for those of you who don't have it or have never heard of it.

The more I write about it the more I'm starting to get pissed. I feel sorry for the rep in the morning. LOL!

I'm going to the drunk thread.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:06 AM   #8
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

what about Verizon?
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:07 AM   #9
jamf
Pro Bowl

For the Redskins fans not in the DC vacinity, DirecTV with NFL superfan is a must.

I love directv but we don't get the weather you get.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
MTK
\m/

Blackouts have nothing to do with DTV or your cable provider.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
12thMan
MVP

Okay boys, Comcast was here bright and early and got me all hooked up. The rep was a Cowboy fan, so of course we traded friendly barbs. He hooked me up with a free VOD channel, which was nice of him to do. He also told me about a promo (for leaving DirecTV) where I get $200 cash after 90 days. Funny when I ordered the service a few days ago the customer service rep didn't mention the $200 promo. Hmmm....

Truth is, you really don't need all those damn channels anyway. I usually watch the same handful for the most part. Bring on them Cowboys!!
Old 11-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #12
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
i was just trying to waych a little of the penn state game, the uva game was on abc, just found it wierd that espn would be blackedout for three weeks in a row for the 3 o'clock games. i got plenty of other games but was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem with their provider, or if it was directv sucking again, like how we don't get the versus or espnuhd channels because of contract negotiations.
Off the top of my head, I don't remember what the blackout restrictions were for your area.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #13
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I hate Directv for the simple fact that they still can't resolve their dispute with Comcast/Versus. Every Caps game on Versus I have to go to a friends house with Comcast or go to a sports bar because I still don't have Versus at home.

I also don't like the fact that half the time when Virginia Tech plays an unranked team the game isn't on t.v. in the NoVa area. My local CSN affiliate plays college football from everywhere, I think this week it was Texas v. whatever POS team they were playing, but cmon. Virginia Tech has enough of a fanbase in NoVa that we should get to see all their games on t.v.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:03 AM   #14
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

On Comcast, the Penn State game was blacked out as well. I went to check out the score as I was flipping around and they were simulcasting the Nationwide Race on ESPNHD (which was also on ESPN2HD).

Found the coverage map (most likely to be updated on the 25th for this coming weekend): College Football TV maps: Week 12 - College Football - ESPN

Looks like I should have tried the Standard Def channel, or Baltimore's ABC affilliate (in Frederick, we get both DC and Baltimore's local affiliates).

@mooby: This past weekend was only the 1st or 2nd time the Terps were on TV (Raycom's Game of the Week) all season (not that I'm complaining because they've been awful). CSN is technically a Fox Sports regional affiliate, so that's why there are so many out of region games on instead of ACC games. ACC has some weird TV deals...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:20 AM   #15
mredskins
Gamebreaker

We have talked about this before on here, DTV vs. Comcast and it basically boils down to what is best for your suitition. When I lived in NOVA DTV was best for me now that I live north of B-more Comcast works best for me.

As far as being treated with respect I have had the best luck with Comcast. DTV and all their contractors just plain suck. Plus, I like not owning my equipment so if something breaks I just drag it back in. I do wish Comcast would partner with TIVO, I miss TIVO.

12th did you get a canceal fee from DTV? They tried to pull that crap with me, took nearly a six month fight with them to drop the $400 canceal fee.