Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports

Report: Wizards Trade for Randy Foye and Mike Miller

Other Sports

Old 06-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Report: Wizards Trade for Randy Foye and Mike Miller

Washington, Minnesota strike a deal - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

The Washington Wizards have agreed in principle to acquire Minnesota Timberwolves guards Randy Foye(notes) and Mike Miller(notes) for Etan Thomas(notes), Oleksiy Pecherov(notes) and Darius Songaila and the fifth pick in Thursday’s NBA draft, a league executive with knowledge of the deal told Yahoo! Sports.

Foye is a bit of a tweener, but underrated at the point in my opinion. Still I think he may end up replacing DeShawn as the defensive stopper at the 2.

Miller kind of reminds me of Tracy Murray at this stage in his career

Advertisements
Old 06-24-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
FRPLG
MVP

Re: Report: Wizards Trade for Randy Foye and Mike Miller

Well dumping Thomas' contract was a goal. Songaila is basically garbage (maybe that's harsh). Pecherov hasn't been much. They really only dumped a marginal player in Darius and the 5 for a slightly better than marginal player in Miller and maybe a good talent in Foye. Not sure they did better with this than just using the pick though. I guess dumping Etan's contract was a key.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:45 AM   #3
GMScud
Swearinger

I don't think the Wiz really liked anyone who'd be available at #5. Plus we have too many mediocre big men, primarily Pecherov, Blatche, Etan. Haywood has been pretty darn good when healthy the past two seasons, and Jevale McGee is an up and comer. I think we probably kept our best 3 bigs out of those 5. Songaila is a decent defender, but not much else.

Mike "Spanky" Miller is a solid player with good 3 point range for his size. He had his worst year last season, but he can be a contributor for us for sure. Granted I'm biased because he was a helluva player for the Gators.

I hear we were taking a good look at James Harden from Az St in the draft. Randy Foye has only been in the league two seasons, is nearly identical in size to Harden, and also plays the #2. He averaged 16+ ppg last sesason, plus he's a good defender and solid 3 point shooter. So we dump some contracts, and acquire a proven version of a guy we may draft anyway, plus get a proven vet. We definitely got smaller with this trade, but I like our guard rotation now.

I think I like this.

Last edited by GMScud; 06-24-2009 at 02:15 AM.
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:15 AM   #4
an23dy
Special Teams

I liked the move rather than keeping the pick. They saved about $3 million, added a veteran, and got rid of some guys that were just taking up space, I never really liked Etan, Pecherov, or Songalia. I wanted them to trade down to the middle of the first and get a guy like DeJuan Blair or Gerald Henderson. Those guys would help on defense and I think they are both gonna be real good NBA players, but would be considered reaches at #5. Also, we got the 2nd pick of round 2 so we'll have room on the roster to sign that guy.

Guys I want in Round 2 (some would have to slip)
James Johnson (not only good at bball, but 20-0 as a kickboxer)
Darren Collison (great A/TO, leader, and winner)
Josh Heytvelt (I think his game translates well to the NBA)
Jon Brockman (rebounding has been the most consistent thing that has shown to transfer to the NBA)
an23dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:02 AM   #5
jdlea
Playmaker

I like the move. Miller can come in and knock down some threes for them. My only question is what is their rotation going to look like? Arenas, Stevenson, Young and Foye in the backcourt, Miller and Butler at the 3, and then Jamison and McGee in the front, along with some Brendan Haywood? They're thin up front still. They need to get some more size.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
I like the move. Miller can come in and knock down some threes for them. My only question is what is their rotation going to look like? Arenas, Stevenson, Young and Foye in the backcourt, Miller and Butler at the 3, and then Jamison and McGee in the front, along with some Brendan Haywood? They're thin up front still. They need to get some more size.
Exactly. I'm not sure Foye will get a ton of minutes. He averaged 16 ppg but also 30+ minutes.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Exactly. I'm not sure Foye will get a ton of minutes. He averaged 16 ppg but also 30+ minutes.
Yeah, but you never know. If it were me, I'd consider trading Stevenson at this point. He's not that great of a player and I don't know that he would accept a role off the bench. If it were up to me, I'd package try to see if I could get a young big who seems like he needs a change of scenery. Or I'd offer him and Jamison for Paul Millsap.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:30 AM   #8
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
Yeah, but you never know. If it were me, I'd consider trading Stevenson at this point. He's not that great of a player and I don't know that he would accept a role off the bench. If it were up to me, I'd package try to see if I could get a young big who seems like he needs a change of scenery. Or I'd offer him and Jamison for Paul Millsap.
That is actually what I was thinking. Stevenson should be the odd man out, because to me both Young and Foye have better upside. Also Young would have little trade value, because I am sure much of the NBA feels he is unproven.

I realize we gotta get rid of Jameson but I think his departure will really hurt us, as he is a consistent 20-10 guy.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:07 AM   #9
FRPLG
MVP

I don't see how getting rid of Jamison helps them at all. He is the team leader and averages a double-double basically. His defensive deficiencies aside he is pretty indispensable to the team in its current form. We'd have to get a pretty good deal of production back in return for him.

Stevenson could bring some help but I doubt we'd get much help in the front court using just him as the bait.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:44 AM   #10
jdlea
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I don't see how getting rid of Jamison helps them at all. He is the team leader and averages a double-double basically. His defensive deficiencies aside he is pretty indispensable to the team in its current form. We'd have to get a pretty good deal of production back in return for him.

Stevenson could bring some help but I doubt we'd get much help in the front court using just him as the bait.
I would unload Jamison because he's basically a tall 3. He's not a very good post player. the Wiz could use one with all of the athletic guards they have. Push come to shove, I'd keep Butler over Jamison and that's basically what you'd have to give up to get Millsap. He's a guy who can come in and play in the post and he's young. McGee, Millsap, Butler, Young/Foye, and Arenas > McGee, Jamison, Butler, Young/Foye and Arenas because the first group can play from the inside out, the latter is just a worse version of the Magic, essentially.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #11
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I would have liked it if if the Wizards had gotten one more draft pick in this trade. Still, dumping those contracts was a nice move. Should put us in good position to make a move in summer 2010 for one of the big time free agents expected to be available-Bosh, Nowitzki, Chandler?

I figure they'll get some sort of mid-level exception to give them some more depth in the front court, but I wouldn't make another major trade (unless they can get Amare); I'd be inclined to ride out this season and go for a top flight big man next summer. Of course, any opportunity to unload Blatche and Nick Young and I'm all for that (I think both are big time underachievers with lack of focus, personally).

As for Jamison, I think you only trade him if as the trade deadline approaches and we aren't in serious contention you can trade him to a contender for some value (maybe draft picks). It would almost be like a favor to him I guess.

As for the backcourt, Dixon and James are gone (I'd assume). So take those two guys out of the equation. Arenas is the starting point guard, and Crittenton I think is his back up. So that leaves DeShawn, Miller, Young, and Foye. If those four guys all stay on the team it's a toss up between DS or Miller. I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a starter. Foye's value is probably best off the bench. They don't call him Fourth Quarter Foye for nothing. So he won't start but he'll get key minutes. He'll always get a bad rap because he's the guy the T-Wolves gave away Brandon Roy for, but that shouldn't diminish Foye's abilities.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:59 PM   #12
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Haywood likes the move

Wizards on the Right Track - Yardbarker
Old 06-24-2009, 10:03 PM   #13
itvnetop
Playmaker

Agree with SS... dumping contracts helps us (re-signing Haywood in a few offseasons too)...

Pretty weak draft and while I liked Harden, there's no guarantee he would have been there at 5. This draft is all over the place and if it's between taking Jordan Hill or trading with the Knicks for the 8 and Hughes, I'll take Foye/Miller 10 out of 10 times.

Miller instantly upgrades the outside shooting... dude's nearly a 40 percent shooter from beyond the arc. He'll spread the floor when the big three are tied up. He's got a decent glass game and can pass. Foye's been steadily improving each season, unfortunately cut by injuries. I think he's had such low FG percentage b/c he's had to be the number 1 or 2 option for the Wolves offensively... start him as a Wiz and he's the third or fourth option and he'll flourish. Have him off the bench with Young and McGee and you've got a deadly second unit.

The FO added two guys that make this an extremely deadly team that kinda looks like Orlando's recipe. The difference, of course, is that we don't have Howard- but Wood's return anchors the D. I also think our guys have the ability to drive inside, moreso than Orlando.

The moves can't be finished yet... we're definitely hurting down low a bit.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:36 AM   #14
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Well, the East just got a lot more interesting

Sources: Shaquille O'Neal sent to Cleveland Cavaliers in 3-player deal - ESPN

For Ben Wallace and Sasha Pavlovic. Clearly a financial move for the Suns. Good move for the Cavs. Shaq isn't the Shaq he once was, but still very effective.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:06 AM   #15
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
No surprise. Haywood and Etan Thomas aren't exactly pals.

This draft class is pretty weak. I think we made the right move.