Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

The Caliendo Effect

Parking Lot

Old 12-17-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

The Caliendo Effect

I was going to post this in the Locker Room, but figured it would be much more appreciated here...

With last night's game on NBC, and next week's following suit, Skins fans will get a heavy dose of John Madden and his Maddenisms. Also, there has been widespread popularity of the comedian Frank Caliendo and his Madden impressions.

I found myself watching the game, and every time Madden made a comment, profound or otherwise, I would repeat it, blurting out "Now here's a guy..." My wife and I several times laughed at Madden because he stumbled over what to say, and both of us would think of Caliendo.

Anyone else now tie Madden to Caliendo? Now, while Madden knows a lot about football, I for one never liked him all that much, which it now makes it that much harder to watch his broadcasts thinking that I am going to make fun of just about everything he says...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:12 PM   #2
redsk1
The Starter

Re: The Caliendo Effect

I really like Madden. I think he has a man crush on Clinton Portis though.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:14 PM   #3
12thMan
MVP

You know, Troy Aikman is a big Clinton Portis fan too.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
SeasonTicketHolder
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
I was going to post this in the Locker Room, but figured it would be much more appreciated here...

With last night's game on NBC, and next week's following suit, Skins fans will get a heavy dose of John Madden and his Maddenisms. Also, there has been widespread popularity of the comedian Frank Caliendo and his Madden impressions.

I found myself watching the game, and every time Madden made a comment, profound or otherwise, I would repeat it, blurting out "Now here's a guy..." My wife and I several times laughed at Madden because he stumbled over what to say, and both of us would think of Caliendo.

Anyone else now tie Madden to Caliendo? Now, while Madden knows a lot about football, I for one never liked him all that much, which it now makes it that much harder to watch his broadcasts thinking that I am going to make fun of just about everything he says...
Haha, I found myself doing the same thing. While I respect Madden a lot, Caliendo's impression is just perfect.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:21 PM   #5
mheisig
The Starter

I've always liked Madden. Seems like he's always been commentating, and I just associate his voice with Sunday afternoons packed full of football.

I guess it's more nostalgia than anything rational.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:21 PM   #6
Schneed10
A Dude

I like John Madden a lot. He's very even tempered while watching a game. If there's one thing I can't stand is when an announcer or commentator allows his voice to get louder and louder as the play develops. Or talking faster and faster when he feels strongly about something. Moose Johnston is like that, I can't stand him. He practically yells, especially when he's being critical of someone. He sounds like he's scolding the player.

Madden keeps his cool. He gives his thoughts, points out what he sees, and leaves the excitement to the fans. He uses just the right amount of emphasis when a big play happens, without getting too excited. He stumbles over words and sounds like a buffoon sometimes, but I'll take that over an excitable guy any day of the week. He's easily my favorite commentator.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #7
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I like John Madden a lot. He's very even tempered while watching a game. If there's one thing I can't stand is when an announcer or commentator allows his voice to get louder and louder as the play develops. Or talking faster and faster when he feels strongly about something. Moose Johnston is like that, I can't stand him. He practically yells, especially when he's being critical of someone. He sounds like he's scolding the player.

Madden keeps his cool. He gives his thoughts, points out what he sees, and leaves the excitement to the fans. He uses just the right amount of emphasis when a big play happens, without getting too excited. He stumbles over words and sounds like a buffoon sometimes, but I'll take that over an excitable guy any day of the week. He's easily my favorite commentator.
I take it you're not a Gus Johnson fan.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:59 PM   #8
FRPLG
MVP

I like Madden if only because he doesn't show stupidity. I know he says dumb things and can fumble for words sometimes but rarely does he say something that is flat out wrong. So many announcers simply show a lack of preparation for games and a total lack of knowing anything about the teams playing. Often times announcer says something that is just wrong about something that a team has been for a few eeeks and it drives me crazy. Madden never does that. It is almost like they just make stuff up to sound intelligent.

Was anyone else irked when Michaels was harping on the non-timeout at the end of the first half? It seemed to me that with a first down inside the 10 that time was essentially no matter with 2 timeouts left. Letting the clock run down actually seemed smart to me. Any team in the league can run any sequence of plays with 21 seconds and two timeouts inside the 10.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:27 PM   #9
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
I like Madden if only because he doesn't show stupidity. I know he says dumb things and can fumble for words sometimes but rarely does he say something that is flat out wrong. So many announcers simply show a lack of preparation for games and a total lack of knowing anything about the teams playing. Often times announcer says something that is just wrong about something that a team has been for a few eeeks and it drives me crazy. Madden never does that. It is almost like they just make stuff up to sound intelligent.

Was anyone else irked when Michaels was harping on the non-timeout at the end of the first half? It seemed to me that with a first down inside the 10 that time was essentially no matter with 2 timeouts left. Letting the clock run down actually seemed smart to me. Any team in the league can run any sequence of plays with 21 seconds and two timeouts inside the 10.
Yeah I thought it was a total non-issue. I was like what the hell is he talking about.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:08 PM   #10
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
Dude, big-time! I was like WTF, with 21 seconds and two timeouts you can run up the middle, pass short of the end zone, you can do whatever you want. Throw into the end zone if it's there, or throw it short if it isn't. Running down the clock to 21 seconds was actually smart there, it helped ensure the Giants didn't get a chance to get the ball back and get a quick FG before the half.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:23 PM   #11
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Dude, big-time! I was like WTF, with 21 seconds and two timeouts you can run up the middle, pass short of the end zone, you can do whatever you want. Throw into the end zone if it's there, or throw it short if it isn't. Running down the clock to 21 seconds was actually smart there, it helped ensure the Giants didn't get a chance to get the ball back and get a quick FG before the half.
Completely agree. I think some people (on this and other sites) started falling for whatever Michaels was spewing and decided it must be time to start bashing Gibbs again for poor clock management.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:20 PM   #12
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Frank TV is about the worst show on TV. I think he is a fat loser.
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:57 AM   #13
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
^ Look everyone, John Madden himself posted on our site!!!
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:49 PM   #14
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
The problem with Frank TV is that it's basically his stand-up routine set to minimally comedic skits. He himself is funny, and most of his impersonations are dead on. However, it just doesn't make for a good TV show. There is a reason the only player was TBS...As far as the fat loser comment, you're entitled to your opinion. For a fat loser, he's got a lot going on...

Brent Musburger, Irv Cross and Jimmy the Greek (until his "little" incident) were how I got from Noon to 1pm Sunday afternoons.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:28 PM   #15
MTK
\m/

Caliendo does a spot on Madden. The first time I heard him on Mike & Mike I thought it was the real Madden, and from what he was saying at first I thought he must have been drunk.