Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Used Car Buying Question - need answers

Parking Lot

Old 03-14-2015, 12:39 PM   #1
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Used Car Buying Question - need answers

So i am hoping i'm not going down the path of a used car buying horror story, but let me tell you what has happened, and somebody with knowledge can set me straight.

About two weeks ago, I bought a used Ford truck from a major dealership in the NoVA area. I will not name them as i have friends that work there and do not want to stir up any trouble at this point. I bought a fantastic used truck that is older, but runs and drives well, and looks good. They gave me only a paper registration card, that will expire on March 30.

I have made two attempts at getting the title. The day i bought the truck, they told me they will mail the title to me. One week later after no mail, i called the dealership and they said not to worry, that they were "sending that soon".

Another week went by and I have nothing. Today, i called the dealership again, asked about the title - they told me they didn't know, and would ask their title clerk to research it on Monday. I asked the person straight up if the vehicle actually had a title when they took it in - he said "I don't know".

What happens to me if it comes to find out that this truck does not have a title, or that the dealership never got it from the previous owner? Am I going to have to give the truck back? I really like this truck but it is useless if I have no way to register / tag it. What happens if the dealership, for whatever reason, cannot get the title??

Advertisements
Old 03-15-2015, 08:38 PM   #2
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Re: Used Car Buying Question - need answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
So i am hoping i'm not going down the path of a used car buying horror story, but let me tell you what has happened, and somebody with knowledge can set me straight.

About two weeks ago, I bought a used Ford truck from a major dealership in the NoVA area. I will not name them as i have friends that work there and do not want to stir up any trouble at this point. I bought a fantastic used truck that is older, but runs and drives well, and looks good. They gave me only a paper registration card, that will expire on March 30.

I have made two attempts at getting the title. The day i bought the truck, they told me they will mail the title to me. One week later after no mail, i called the dealership and they said not to worry, that they were "sending that soon".

Another week went by and I have nothing. Today, i called the dealership again, asked about the title - they told me they didn't know, and would ask their title clerk to research it on Monday. I asked the person straight up if the vehicle actually had a title when they took it in - he said "I don't know".

What happens to me if it comes to find out that this truck does not have a title, or that the dealership never got it from the previous owner? Am I going to have to give the truck back? I really like this truck but it is useless if I have no way to register / tag it. What happens if the dealership, for whatever reason, cannot get the title??
It's only been two weeks relax .Pretty sure the dealer is going to register the truck for you,once that is done you will get your title .The pink copy you have now is enough .
Old 03-15-2015, 08:42 PM   #3
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Do you own a Shotgun?
Probably be fine. It is unfathomable to think that a reputable dealer would jack around with a vehicle without clear title.......
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:40 PM   #4
FRPLG
MVP

Yeah two weeks is a little too soon to get too worked up.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:16 PM   #5
Schneed10
A Dude

Snake, you a little anxious bro?
Old 03-16-2015, 06:20 AM   #6
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Snake, you a little anxious bro?
I am a little anxious because when i did the purchase - i only paid for the temp tag, i did not pay for the title transfer / etc. - because i had tags from an old truck that i sold, that i wanted to transfer over. They were supposed to mail me the regular title so i could take it to DMV myself and do the paperwork....

Thanks for the replies guys - i will wait another week and see what happens. I have bought used before from a car lot, and it has never taken two weeks to get the title. Thanks again
Old 03-16-2015, 06:54 AM   #7
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I am a little anxious because when i did the purchase - i only paid for the temp tag, i did not pay for the title transfer / etc. - because i had tags from an old truck that i sold, that i wanted to transfer over. They were supposed to mail me the regular title so i could take it to DMV myself and do the paperwork....

Thanks for the replies guys - i will wait another week and see what happens. I have bought used before from a car lot, and it has never taken two weeks to get the title. Thanks again
Ok , now I understand but still your temp dealer tags are good for anywhere from 30 to 60 days (or should be).
Old 03-16-2015, 05:57 PM   #8
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

So as of today the title is being sent to me by certified mail. I did get the notification in my mail box this afternoon. I am glad of this, but its unfortunate because the mail carrier here will try delivering 3 times before they hold it at the post office. Each time that they will come, i will be at work, unable to sign for the package But at least i know i'll have it soon. Thanks everybody
Old 03-16-2015, 08:55 PM   #9
That Guy
Living Legend

on the card, you can tell them to hold it instead of trying to redeliver, so you can get it 2 days sooner.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:33 AM   #10
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
on the card, you can tell them to hold it instead of trying to redeliver, so you can get it 2 days sooner.
This. No sense wasting the postman's time when you already know you won't be there.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:20 PM   #11
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

I ended up calling the post office this morning and asking them to hold the letter since i wouldn't be home during the day. They obliged, and now i have the title and everything i need to transfer my tags.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:30 PM   #12
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

I love a happy ending....
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:05 PM   #13
jamf
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
I love a happy ending....
next time you are in San Diego, I can recommend some places for you.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:11 PM   #14
JPPT1974
Special Teams

Just remember the term hidden fees. As that could throw you off. Be careful.