Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

First Time Fatherhood

Parking Lot

Old 05-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

First Time Fatherhood

Since joining this board almost a decade ago (wow, has it been THAT long), I know some of you guys have become first time fathers. Heck, some of you first time fathers have become second, third and fourth time fathers by now. Well, my wife and I are expecting our first in December. It's still a little early to make an official announcement, but we're so excited that we can't seem to keep it to ourselves.

Now, my wife bought me a "Fatherhood Survival Kit book" (I'm paraphrasing I don't know the exact title right off the top of my head) which I plan on reading cover to cover. But, I figured I'd get some "real life" testimonies, if you will, from some of you guys here who have recently (in the past several years) have become first time Dads. Heck, even those who have been Dads for awhile.

What was it like initially for you? Was it a "Oh crap, here goes the rest of my life" feeling or did you think of it as a cool new addition to an already pretty cool life? Did you think fatherhood changed you in anyway? Did you think it aged you (other than maybe maturing you?) Or, do you still feel as young as ever, just maybe a bit more grounded?

Advertisements
Old 05-05-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Re: First Time Fatherhood

Still going through it, have twin daughters and have a son on the way. 3 infant/toddlers at the same time. I dont know what sleep is anymore. Also never having sex again. (Wife's words)

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Still going through it, have twin daughters and have a son on the way. 3 infant/toddlers at the same time. I dont know what sleep is anymore. Also never having sex again. (Wife's words)
LOL! Are you done after having 3? My wife and I say no more than 2!
Old 05-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

I hope so. I cant remember the last time I had a shirt stay clean all day, and man they are a handful, and starting to walk so they are off. I think they like driving me crazy

Old 05-05-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

At first I was freaked, now I am good

Old 05-05-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
At first I was freaked, now I am good
I have a feeling I'm going to say the same exact thing! I'm getting as much sleep right now as I possibly can, lol! It's funny though, I know people that I graduated High School with who are grandparents now! I can't even picture that at the age of 39 or 40!
Old 05-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #7
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

I will say this, I didnt realize that much poop can come out of someone under 30lbs

Old 05-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #8
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Patience is the number one skill I had to work on. My children are 6 and 3; boy/girl.

At first when my son was born it turned my life upside down then I got in a groove and my daughter came along; I was still in the groove.

Now seeing my son at 6 I am done with diapers car seats and just baby things in general. I am ready for the next stage and my daughter is almost there.

Children will test your marriage; it is probably the ultimate marriage test. Right now I don't think of my wife as my wife just the person who is partnered with me in the business of raising kids.

Put all that aside and there are just moments that make it all worth it. My son this weekend had two awesome games that he played very well in (Hockey/ Baseball) and my daughter today when I was leaving here at day care told me she loves me very much. Moments like that will drive you when it all seems impossible.

Congrats Skinsguy!
Old 05-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #9
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

The poop and the vomit will probably be something that will take me a long time to get used to, lol!

I think about the point where they are school-aged. I love the thoughts of being able to go to little league games and watch them play or recitals and so forth. That stuff I'm looking forward to (and hoping my children are healthy so that they can be a part of that stuff.) Most importantly, carrying on a long legacy of Redskins fandom. That is more important than anything else, lol! My dad was a lucky man when I came around, because when it came time for Sunday, I wanted to watch football - namely the Redskins! So he never had to worry with me wanting to watch cartoons instead, lol!
Old 05-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #10
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
I have a feeling I'm going to say the same exact thing! I'm getting as much sleep right now as I possibly can, lol! It's funny though, I know people that I graduated High School with who are grandparents now! I can't even picture that at the age of 39 or 40!
LOL , it scared the living shit out of me !You just take one step at a time . If I can say one thing is not to take to much of what you read as absolute gospel, there are 400 books or more on parenthood, just kind of adjust you style to the child and soon you will all be in sinc .
Don't be afraid of them ,after a while the kids will teach you all you need to know .
Old 05-05-2014, 12:11 PM   #11
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Thanks Giantone. And that's probably true when they get to be in their teens. Because I can tell you when I was a teenage, I was much much smarter than my parents - at least I thought I was, lol!
Old 05-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #12
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

We don't have kids, but a sincere congratulations to you and your wife!
Old 05-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #13
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

I have 3 girls (6, 5, 9 months), and the best advice I can give you is to just take everything in stride. Things are going to happen, pop up, come out of left field, and the best thing to remember is that you can handle it, no matter how difficult it might seem at the moment.

The one thing that I've been able to do (with my wife's help) is my girls know that Sundays are football sundays. I get no arguments from anyone in the house once football is on the TV. The girls know that football will be on and while Daddy will help them or play with them, their shows will not be on the big TV during that time.

Fatherhood is really cool. So many different experiences, some good, some bad. Fatherhood has definitely aged me (I have the gray hairs to prove it), but I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #14
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Thanks TMC! I'm looking forward to it!

BDBohnzie: You'll have to tell me the secret on how you were able to train your children on the football. That is ONE thing that I told my wife that I cannot give up, and that's watching football on Sundays. Even so much so that we budget in NFL Sunday Ticket (above putting down new flooring in the house....lol) because she knows how important it is to me!
Old 05-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #15
mredskins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Thanks TMC! I'm looking forward to it!

BDBohnzie: You'll have to tell me the secret on how you were able to train your children on the football. That is ONE thing that I told my wife that I cannot give up, and that's watching football on Sundays. Even so much so that we budget in NFL Sunday Ticket (above putting down new flooring in the house....lol) because she knows how important it is to me!
You will be surprised how much football will take a back seat to your kids. At least for me I rather spend time with them then watching the Skins.

On the same hand you need to make time for yourself; it is important.