Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Washington will be familiar with Cowboys going into opener

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Washington will be familiar with Cowboys going into opener

Not too early to start talking up week one I guess, this from the Dallas Morning News:

Washington has assigned Morocco Brown, director of pro personnel, to scout the Dallas in Cowboys in every exhibition game. The clubs open the regular season at FedEx Field on Sept. 12.

Cowboys owner-general manager Jerry Jones has no problems with opponents scouting his team at every opportunity, including the open practices during Organized Team Activities and training camp. The Cowboys are among the more open teams in the overly paranoid NFL. Jones believes what the club gains in marketing more than offsets whatever information an opponent might gain from watching a pre-season workout.

Jones keeps in mind a conversation he had with veteran coaches Don Shula and Marty Schottenheimer after the Cowboys won the 1992 season Super Bowl. According to Jones, Shula and Schottenheimer said they knew the Cowboys' plan on every offensive play and ``we were never able to stop it.''
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
GMScud
Swearinger

Re: Washington will be familiar with Cowboys going into opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
Not too early to start talking up week one I guess, this from the Dallas Morning News:

Washington has assigned Morocco Brown, director of pro personnel, to scout the Dallas in Cowboys in every exhibition game. The clubs open the regular season at FedEx Field on Sept. 12.

Cowboys owner-general manager Jerry Jones has no problems with opponents scouting his team at every opportunity, including the open practices during Organized Team Activities and training camp. The Cowboys are among the more open teams in the overly paranoid NFL. Jones believes what the club gains in marketing more than offsets whatever information an opponent might gain from watching a pre-season workout.

Jones keeps in mind a conversation he had with veteran coaches Don Shula and Marty Schottenheimer after the Cowboys won the 1992 season Super Bowl. According to Jones, Shula and Schottenheimer said they knew the Cowboys' plan on every offensive play and ``we were never able to stop it.''
Statement #1 in bold: Putting marketing first. Fail.
Statement #2 in bold: Living in the past. Fail.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

This year's Cowboys are not the 1992 Cowboys. Vegas has us as a 4point underdog. I think that is fair since we haven't played a down yet, but I expect Shanahan to shock Wade's team in the first game. I'll go ahead and put an early prediction of 28-17 Skins win...(subject to change as preseason goes along)
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
huntz
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
This year's Cowboys are not the 1992 Cowboys. Vegas has us as a 4point underdog. I think that is fair since we haven't played a down yet, but I expect Shanahan to shock Wade's team in the first game. I'll go ahead and put an early prediction of 28-17 Skins win...(subject to change as preseason goes along)
4 TD's first game. I LIKE IT!
huntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

**** Dallas
Old 07-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
dmek25
MVP

sand, whats your take on what the skins have added? your usually pretty reasonable
Old 07-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
sand, whats your take on what the skins have added? your usually pretty reasonable
That's laughable.

I expect jack to disappear after the Week 1 beating, only to show up with wild predictions right before Round 2 vs. Dallas.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
dmek25
MVP

i was talking about his rationale, not his predictions
Old 07-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

Im in San An for business until Saturday. The Cowboys are practicing in town on Friday, so I could do some covert ops.

Actually I would prefer to be overt; I would push Romo into the Riverwalk if I saw him there.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Im in San An for business until Saturday. The Cowboys are practicing in town on Friday, so I could do some covert ops.

Actually I would prefer to be overt; I would push Romo into the Riverwalk if I saw him there.

We will take a collection for you on TWP and bail you out. LOL
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #11
firstdown
Living Legend

Funny this thread popped up because I just got dome writing a $100 to my buddy who I have a standing bet one team will sweep the season. I forgot I had not paid him and for some reason remembered today and then this popped up. If we win the first game against them then I cannot loose any money and it makes watching the second game much easier.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #12
freddyg12
Playmaker

That 92 cowpoke team had what might've been the greatest o line ever (sorry to say). Of course they had the triplets, but that o line was so dominant. Haven't seen one as dominant since.

That's why they couldn't be stopped. Today's dallas team is really good, but doesn't have nearly the talent of that team on the o line. If the Skins know what's coming, they'll be able to stop it.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #13
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntz View Post
4 TD's first game. I LIKE IT!
I just saw this and my first thought was, "Have the recent years been so bad that a game in which we score 4 touchdowns is considered that great? "

I'll answer my rhetorical question. Yes. It's crazy to think of a 4 touchdown game on our end as wildly successful beyond our dreams, but after our offensive output last season that's pretty much what it would feel like.

I guess I'm just not that confident, especially considering we play horrible on national television.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #14
warpaint
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCskinfan82 View Post
We will take a collection for you on TWP and bail you out. LOL
As long as he pushes him then runs away with out being seen. Romo will need to be bailed out because noone is allowed to jump in the river walk. So I say bump him in. and enjoy!
Old 07-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #15
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
Honestly and without biased....best additions:

Allen
Shannahan
Williams
Brown (?)

Much focus has been placed on all the 30-somethings that have been added, especially on offense.

McNabb? I really don't know. For starters there is no doubt the guy just plain knows how to win. But on the other hand, I just don't see why the Sheagles would trade him IN DIVISION, without being confident of something more.

Running backs. Shortest life spans in the NFL, those over 30 are widely considered over the hill and done for. And Washington has 3 of them. Albiet 3 proven players.

Not doubting the moves the front office has made. Point-in-fact, I just think thier hands were tied too much to do anything more. That being the previous leadership trading away future draft picks, did not leave Shanny and Allen a lot of ammo.

And the labor situation. All teams are very gun shy on signing proven veterans for fear of the unknown of what the new CBA will look like.

With that being said, with what they were provided, the front office did a good job.

My question is not about the offense, but the defense actually. A swtich to the 3-4 requires some resources to support it. To be specific, a bevy of big-fast linebackers and, DEPTH at the front 7.

Your typical 4-3 DE is accustomed to a 4 point stance and targeting the QB. Now you are asking this 4-3 DE to work from a stand-up position and recognize coverages. There will be a growing period.

And depth along the front 7 is key. Gotta have a solid rotation up front for that front 3 especially, rotating them to keep them fresh for the later quarters of the game.

It takes a few years to build up that stable of LB's to support the 3-4.

The moves this off season were good, and this team should be much improved from a year ago. But there are still plenty of question marks:

1. How will Williams perform in his rookie season? Will it be like Jake Long? Or Robert Gallery?

2. How will Brown look after coming off injury and losing his starting job in NO?

3. Whats gonna happen at NT?

4. Secondary?

Schedule is no push over either.

I think the 'Skins have will the potential to go 3-1 in September.
But there is also the potential of them going 1-3.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote