Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins are Winners!

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
SCRedskinsFan
Impact Rookie

Redskins are Winners!

Kinda nice to have some positive pressfor a change. Especially the part recognizing our new front office... Here's Alex Marvez take on the 2010 preseason:

BIGGEST WINNERS

Washington Redskins: The team’s most competent head coach-general manager pairing since the early 1990s has made strides to help the Skins return to those glory days. Donovan McNabb should thrive in Mike Shanahan’s offense, especially with the bookend tackles - 2010 first-round pick Trent Williams and two-time Pro Bowl selection Jammal Brown - added by Bruce Allen to help protect Washington’s new starting quarterback.

Now, do the Redskins have the right personnel to quickly thrive in Jim Haslett’s 3-4 defense? Will the Albert Haynesworth situation get even more toxic? And can the Redskins get production out of their suspect running backs and wide receivers? Although there’s too much uncertainty to predict a Redskins playoff berth, this franchise is definitely back on track.
SCRedskinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-16-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
SCRedskinsFan
Impact Rookie

Re: Redskins are Winners!

Sorry, couldn't post link.

The quote is from Fox Sports (7/16) -- the story line is: "Reviewing this offseason's winners and losers." Biggest losers were the Steelers, by the way...
Old 07-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
warpaint
The Starter

We've difinitley added some nice peaces this year all we need is Big AL to become a team player.

I do believe M.Shannahan "The Great Motivater" put his skills to work with AL. The man had weight issues his whole career but now all of a sudden one converasation with M.S. and dudes dropped like 30 something pounds just not to play Nose Tackle. Maybe M.S. never wanted him there but he got that ass in shape if the stories are true.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

We shall see soon enough.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I mean, I still don't know just quite how 2010 will go yet...but we're defintley on the right track. I feel really good about the direction this franchise is headed in. When people have asked me how I think the Skins will be, I've said I think 2011 is the year to watch out for them (pending no lockout).. I think there is so much that needed to be taken care of, that I thought it would take a couple years...

That being said, with the addition of the two tackles, McNabb and just the coaching... there is a lot I'm really optomistic about.... The wide receiver situation is a big concern of mine though. I really thought this was Devin Thomas' year to break out, but so far the reports on him have not been all that great so we'll see I guess.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Defensewins
Playmaker

Finally having a competent Front Office and Snyder taking off his GM paper hat will go a long way to getting us back to being a winning team. Then add our strong coaching staff and we are well on our way.
I am little worried about the forced switch to 3-4. I do not like how power running teams can sometimes run right up the middle on a 3-4. Our strength was run stopping and particularly stopping the runs up the middle. Seems like we are potentially trading good run stopping for (flash) sacks and blitzes. Hopefully we will have a defense that is good all the way around.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #7
Mechanix544
The Starter

Again, Here is to HOPING!

Sounds good on paper. But I don't think T. Williams qualifies as a bookend left tackle just yet. Too many tackles come into this league highly touted, and they plain suck. I hope that is not the case here, almost sure it isn't, but you never know.
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #8
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

I agree, we will make the playoffs and it wouldn't surprise me if possibly more. Williams will start as a pretty good rookie and will end up a solid tackle by the end of the season. He couldn't be worse than what we have had the last couple of years.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
wolfeskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
Finally having a competent Front Office and Snyder taking off his GM paper hat will go a long way to getting us back to being a winning team. Then add our strong coaching staff and we are well on our way.
I am little worried about the forced switch to 3-4. I do not like how power running teams can sometimes run right up the middle on a 3-4. Our strength was run stopping and particularly stopping the runs up the middle. Seems like we are potentially trading good run stopping for (flash) sacks and blitzes. Hopefully we will have a defense that is good all the way around.

thats all very true but the nfc east isn't the smashmouth football of yesteryear. the giants are still a good running team, with some smashmouth rbs, the cowboys have some pretty good rbs but not smashmouth, they have a fast outside runner in felix jones
(who i think will be their feature back this season). they rely pretty heavily on romo and their passing game. then theres the eagles,without mcnabb, maybe they'll run the ball a bit more but i doubt it. they'll more then likely be the same ol pass happy team they've been for years.

having said all that, i think the switch to a 3-4 defense will ultimately be a good thing. giving up a few more run yards in order to get more sacks, qb pressures and turnovers sounds good to me.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #10
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

we've been getting overwhelmingly positive press ever since Snyder fired Cerrato. I think this "nice to get positive press" talk no longer applies to our present situation. Nowadays, i'm more surprised when i read something negative about the team than when i read something positive.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #11
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeskins View Post
thats all very true but the nfc east isn't the smashmouth football of yesteryear. the giants are still a good running team, with some smashmouth rbs, the cowboys have some pretty good rbs but not smashmouth, they have a fast outside runner in felix jones
(who i think will be their feature back this season). they rely pretty heavily on romo and their passing game. then theres the eagles,without mcnabb, maybe they'll run the ball a bit more but i doubt it. they'll more then likely be the same ol pass happy team they've been for years.

having said all that, i think the switch to a 3-4 defense will ultimately be a good thing. giving up a few more run yards in order to get more sacks, qb pressures and turnovers sounds good to me.
Barber is on the smashmouth side of things
Old 07-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
SCRedskinsFan
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
we've been getting overwhelmingly positive press ever since Snyder fired Cerrato. I think this "nice to get positive press" talk no longer applies to our present situation. Nowadays, i'm more surprised when i read something negative about the team than when i read something positive.
I don't know BHA, I'm still reading about the "same old" trading away picks for aging stars and Snyder pulling the strings. Maybe I'm seeing old stuff, but it feels good to get positive press in any case...
Old 07-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #13
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeskins View Post

As you say, giving up a FEW yards is fine, but if you start giving up 5 yards a carry I say hell no. If you can not stop the run you can kiss off your season/playoff/SB chances.
To your other point, sure some of those teams are not 'smash mouth' by definition, but it is amazing how quickly these teams can become one when they realize you have a weakness. If there is blood in the water every team is going exploit your weakness.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #14
wolfeskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Barber is on the smashmouth side of things
yea but i don't see him as their #1 back. i think it will be felix jones,if he's healthy.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #15
wolfeskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
As you say, giving up a FEW yards is fine, but if you start giving up 5 yards a carry I say hell no. If you can not stop the run you can kiss off your season/playoff/SB chances.
To your other point, sure some of those teams are not 'smash mouth' by definition, but it is amazing how quickly these teams can become one when they realize you have a weakness. If there is blood in the water every team is going exploit your weakness.
yea, i'm with ya. they can't start giving up 5 yards a carry, that would be horrid.