Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

What was the point of learning cursive in school?

Parking Lot

Old 09-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

What was the point of learning cursive in school?

The only letters I know how to write in cursive are the ones that make up my first and last name. What was the point of learning this absurd form of writing?

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: What was the point of learning cursive in school?

Completely agree. Why it was ever used is beyond me.

Thank goodness it's being phased out of schools. And to think for years we wasted time teaching our kids this nonsense when it could have been spent on science & math.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Back in the day I could diagram a sentence like no one's business...but yeah, I can't write in cursive anymore. Haven't been able to since like 8th grade
Old 09-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

I believe a lot of schools are now dropping it.

I always hated it because it was always taught to this lefty by right handed people.

My mother still used it exclusively and I can barely read it.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

I write a lot of notes and am often in situatons where I don't have a handy dandy lap top to type things up as they are being said. I still use cursive for my own note taking or "notes to self" kind of thing.

I can read it, not sure anyone else could. My son is actually learning it now.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
TheSmurfs22
The Starter

I remember having it drilled into us when we were going through school, now it is a bit of a lost art. I am a middle school special education teacher and the things that scare me are our kids are not proficient spellers and their basic math skills are weak, this goes for all students not just students with disabilities. The days where we had to memorize our spelling words and multiplication facts are no longer practiced and it is a shame.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Cursive should be dropped from the curriculum. If anything cursive masks bad spelling. Since it all looks like gibberish you would assume the letters were correct and pass over them. It is nearly impossible to read something written by another human being in cursive.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Personally, I think we should in fact not teach our kids any math because computers and calculators can do it. No need to teach writing, after all word can take dictation and fix spelling and grammar mistakes(well not FD's), and well obviously reading is passe with text readers. I think we can tho' develop large spaceships, that travel aimlessly through space until we are so fat that we just slide on the ground when the geo-stabilizers give out.

Learning cursive, in and of itself isn't critical, but learning that learning takes patience and practice probably has a value that some might suggest is intrinsic, whatever that means.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Completely agree. Why it was ever used is beyond me.

Thank goodness it's being phased out of schools. And to think for years we wasted time teaching our kids this nonsense when it could have been spent on science & math.
The ironic thing is I usually tell people that ask why we learn "pointless" stuff in school (ie stuff we won't use in our jobs after we graduate) is because up through college you're learning how to learn. Also a lot of curriculum leading up to college help create well rounded students. Still I remember cursive was suppose to be one of those things that we were going to be able to use after school.

One of the things I've heard a lot is that computers and widespread adoption of word processing was a huge game changer. Still it's kind of funny how I look back and think of how I was required to write in cursive all the way up to high school.

I actually tried to read some of my old report cards from back in the day but the early ones were written in cursive and it took me twice as long to deduce in what ways I was disruptive in class.

But yeah, seeing as how our generation has fallen behind academically compared to the rest of the world we may have been better off spending more time on the core subjects of math and science.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 09-27-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #10
SolidSnake84
Playmaker

I remember thinking this same thing when I was in like the 9th grade. The funny thing is our teachers back in middle school were telling us how high school and college classes would make us write in cursive. It never happened lol.

Today i don't know a single person other than the occasional old person who still writes in cursive. Other than writing my name, I don't write anything in cursive. Haven't since about 8th grade lol.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #11
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake84 View Post
I remember thinking this same thing when I was in like the 9th grade. The funny thing is our teachers back in middle school were telling us how high school and college classes would make us write in cursive. It never happened lol.

Today i don't know a single person other than the occasional old person who still writes in cursive. Other than writing my name, I don't write anything in cursive. Haven't since about 8th grade lol.
Lol. Other threats I remembered.

- 3rd Grade, you'll be writing everything in pen next year, except for math.

- 4th Grade, you're not going to be allowed to use calculators at all next year

- 8th Grade, when you get to high school teachers won't tolerate tardiness. Your classes might be all the way on the other end of the school and they won't care.

- Senior Year, When you get to college you're going to have to study 3 hours for every hour you're in class. I'm sorry but no one does that. There are people that study a lot but no one goes to class 15 or 18 hours a week and then studies for 45 to 54 hours outside of class during that same week. Except for people that are literally addicted to studying and academics.

3 hours of studying for each hour of class to do well? - College Confidential

Also teachers "lock the door right after class starts" so people who are late are forced to miss class. I didn't have a single teacher that did that.

- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 09-27-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #12
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I just tried writing a few sentences in cursive and I feel I did okay for the most part, but it's also irrelevant considering I haven't written a handwritten letter since I was writing to my brother while he was in boot camp and I probably won't be writing any handwritten letters in the future. Cursive is just outdated in the internet age, I'm not suprised schools are getting rid of it.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:51 PM   #13
MTK
\m/

F cursive.

So pointless.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:10 AM   #14
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Lol. Other threats I remembered.

- 3rd Grade, you'll be writing everything in pen next year, except for math.

- 4th Grade, you're not going to be allowed to use calculators at all next year

- 8th Grade, when you get to high school teachers won't tolerate tardiness. Your classes might be all the way on the other end of the school and they won't care.

- Senior Year, When you get to college you're going to have to study 3 hours for every hour you're in class. I'm sorry but no one does that. There are people that study a lot but no one goes to class 15 or 18 hours a week and then studies for 45 to 54 hours outside of class during that same week. Except for people that are literally addicted to studying and academics.

3 hours of studying for each hour of class to do well? - College Confidential

Also teachers "lock the door right after class starts" so people who are late are forced to miss class. I didn't have a single teacher that did that.
I've done that. It was only once or twice for particularly troublesome folks. I haven't done it often.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #15
Monkeydad
Living Legend

I bet my teachers would be irate that I write in ALL CAPS all of the time.

Always.

Why? I work in finance and a lot of Government forms require it, plus it helps cut down on errors in interpretation.

Also, it looks neater.

I started doing it in my first accounting job out of college, for a construction/prop mgmt company in MD. The owner actually asked I use only CAPS and it's become a way of life for me.

My handwriting is neater than most peoples', as it needs to be when you're working with numbers and money.