Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

Remembering 9/11... 10 years later

Parking Lot

Old 09-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
MTK
\m/

Remembering 9/11... 10 years later

Feel free to share your memories, experiences, thoughts, etc. Let's keep it about that day and leave out the BS.

Advertisements
Old 09-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
saden1
MVP

Re: Remembering 9/11... 10 years later

RIP to all those who perished.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
MTK
\m/

F-16 pilot was ready to give her life on Sept. 11 - The Washington Post

wow
Old 09-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I still remember being in the newsroom producing the newsbreak before I was about to leave for the day, then next thing I know the towers fall and I'm staying in the office for the next 100+ hours in a row.

From a professional standpoint it actually marked a key turning point in my career, as my work earned me a big promotion. I does still bother me at times that such a tragedy was a boon to my career
Old 09-11-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Dang SS, what a story.

I remember the frustration with trying to reach friends to see if they were ok yet the phone circuits did not work. It was a week before I heard from some people.

I also remember a couple of sad hate crimes on our college campus. For example, a Bolivian girl got roughed up because apparently all foreigners with brown skin are terrorists.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
Mechanix544
The Starter

rip to all those who lost their lives, and gave their lives for freedom
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

O God of love, compassion, and healing, look on us, people of many different faiths and traditions, who gather today at this site,
the scene of incredible violence and pain. We ask you in your goodness to give eternal light and peace to all who died here—the heroic first-responders: our fire fighters, police officers, emergency service workers, and Port Authority personnel, along with all the innocent men and women who were victims of this tragedy simply because their work or service brought them here on September 11, 2001.

We ask you, in your compassion to bring healing to those who, because of their presence here that day, suffer from injuries and illness.
Heal, too, the pain of still-grieving families and all who lost loved ones in this tragedy. Give them strength to continue their lives with courage and hope.

We are mindful as well of those who suffered death, injury, and loss
on the same day at the Pentagon and in Shanksville, Pennsylvania.
Our hearts are one with theirs as our prayer embraces their pain and suffering.

God of peace, bring your peace to our violent world:
peace in the hearts of all men and women and peace among the nations of the earth. Turn to your way of love those whose hearts and minds
are consumed with hatred. God of understanding, overwhelmed by the magnitude of this tragedy, we seek your light and guidance as we confront such terrible events. Grant that those whose lives were spared
may live so that the lives lost here may not have been lost in vain.

Comfort and console us, strengthen us in hope, and give us the wisdom and courage to work tirelessly for a world where true peace and love reign among nations and in the hearts of all.

Pope Benedict XI--Prayer at Ground Zero
New York, 20 April 2008
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
From a professional standpoint it actually marked a key turning point in my career, as my work earned me a big promotion. I does still bother me at times that such a tragedy was a boon to my career
Let that go. Your talent, hard work, and dedication were needed at that terrible moment and you were rewarded for what you already had inside you.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

I was in 9th grade, sitting in my earth, space, physics class a girl ran in and said a plane had just crashed into the twin towers. I don't think anyone really believed her. I think a bunch of us just sat around staring at each other like... What? Yeah right. Not too long after an assembly was called and confirmed that a plane had indeed crashed into the towers and that school would be released early so people could be with their families and to check on other family members.

It feels almost surreal and like it was forever ago but I remember the panic and terror on the faces of faculty and kids from age 12-18. Some of us (who hadn't been picked up yet) sat around a TV and watched as people run in fear, jumped from buildings, crying and mourning in the streets...

We were all young but we all knew the painful seriousness of the situation at hand.

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Nice post Sammy.....
After 10 years I still find it hard to think about
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #11
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

I'm still pissed.
God bless America!
Old 09-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #12
Ruhskins
Living Legend

I remember working at College Park and seeing people gathered around a TV in the lobby of our office. I walked into the lobby as the 2nd plane hit and realizing what was going on. I ran to my office and spent the next hour trying to reach my family in NYC unsuccessfully. I remember feeling nervous the whole day, especially after the attack on the Pentagon. I remember there were rumors flying around that there had been a blast at the State Department, which luckily were false. A couple of days later we had a memorial on campus, some of our students had family and friends that had perished in NY. Also there were two grad students who died at the Pentagon. I just hope we never have to live through something like this again.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #13
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Things have improved a bit.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:39 PM   #14
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

I was in 7th grade at the time and when it happened a teacher came in and said a plane had crashed into the first tower, and my immediate thinking was, oh, it must've been an accident or something. I didn't really believe that people would go to such lengths to attack our country, but that thinking was just a product of being young and naive at the time. It began to sink in that it was a much more serious and life altering situation after watching the reports on tv, and when my mom drove us past the Pentagon on our way into DC a couple weeks later. I saw the hole in the side and I just felt stunned, like I couldn't believe something so horrible could happen so close to home.

The only way we need to honor the memories of the people that died that day are to remember the price we paid for being lax on security, and to remember their contributions to society and the impact they had on everyone around them. To be completely honest, I was a little underwhelmed with the events they had planned at today's game, namely having the families of people who died on 9/11 just come out and hold the flag while it covered the field. I thought they would do a little more than that, they barely got any coverage since everyone was watching Ne-Yo sing the National Anthem. The NFL shared center stage today with the ceremonies and everything and they could've done more.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:18 AM   #15
mlmpetert
Playmaker

Thank you for starting this thread Matty and naming it "Remembering 9/11... 10 Years Later". It has irked me hearing it referred to the "10th Anniversary" on the news, it’s a day of remembrance and mourning for me and most others. Also thank you for not putting it in the political forum.

Unfortunately i was traveling all weekend and was unable to watch anything in remembering this day 10 years ago. I watch a amazing documentary last year and will see if i can find it for those interested. The documentary had no interviews it was just a timeline of the day using actual camera footage, much of it was armature footage. The feelings it provoked were unreal and similar to the feeling we all shared the day this terrible event unfolded. It took me about 30 minutes to realize the footage was all real and not reenactments.

In traveling i saw a LOT of police and a LOT of small/mid sized u-haul like trucks pulled over. We all heard a lot about how yesterday was the safest day America has had considering how high we had our guard up, and it felt that way for me. I drove under a lot of bridges on my way back from NJ that were lined with people, fire trucks, police cars and American Flags. No one was celebrating anything and it was done with classiness and respect.

Last edited by mlmpetert; 09-12-2011 at 11:19 AM.
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote