Steve Jobs quits as Apple CEO, Cook takes over

Pretty big news for Apple

Steve Jobs quits as Apple CEO, Cook takes over | Reuters

Advertisements
Old 08-24-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Re: Steve Jobs quits as Apple CEO, Cook takes over

I hope his health isn't as bad as its' feared. Curious to know what happens in Apple's future.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #3
DynamiteRave
Living Legend

This may be a dumb question... But what does the Woz do? Isn't he part of the Apple empire?

I've been a part of this message board for 17 years. Damn I'm old.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:22 AM   #4
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
This may be a dumb question... But what does the Woz do? Isn't he part of the Apple empire?
I think it's just honorary at this point. He basically left the company like 15 years ago
Old 08-25-2011, 12:23 AM   #5
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I hope his health isn't as bad as its' feared. Curious to know what happens in Apple's future.
Honestly, I'm surprised he's lasted as long as he had since being diagnosed.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:44 AM   #6
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

When Jobs left before Apple really started to struggle. Will be interesting to see what happens for sure. Curious how much the stock drops. I'd be unloading it right now. Apple was already inflated a bit more than it should have been, time for the prices to come back to Earth.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #7
saden1
MVP

One of the reason apple has succeeded is because the engineers ran the shop rather than the suits. So long as they continue to let their engineers drive product development they will be fine though I can't say the same for the iPhone's long term sales prospect vs Android.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #8
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
When Jobs left before Apple really started to struggle. Will be interesting to see what happens for sure. Curious how much the stock drops. I'd be unloading it right now. Apple was already inflated a bit more than it should have been, time for the prices to come back to Earth.
LOL...you have no idea what you're talking about.

$25 earnings per share and a P/E ratio under 20 is over valued? I wonder what your undervalued stock looks like.

-Jenkins

Last edited by saden1; 08-25-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:05 AM   #9
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
One of the reason apple has succeeded is because the engineers ran the shop rather than the suits. So long as they continue to let their engineers drive product development they will be fine though I can't say the same for the iPhone's long term sales prospect vs Android.
Good post.

I don't work in the mobile device market, why do you sound bullish on the Androids? Just from my limited experience, the Droids seem to be far more unstable than the iPhone. Do you think they'll eventually get this fixed? It was explained to me that with such an open OS, and all the apps written, there's no way to test them all and lock-ups/crashes almost can't be avoided.

I use Blackberry for work and don't load any apps, I never have a problem. My wife uses very basic apps (facebook mostly) and her droid is constantly having issues (we've replaced it once and reset it several times). My son was using the droid with the same problems as my wife, he upgraded to iPhone and hasn't complained of any issues.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
saden1
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Good post.

I don't work in the mobile device market, why do you sound bullish on the Androids? Just from my limited experience, the Droids seem to be far more unstable than the iPhone. Do you think they'll eventually get this fixed? It was explained to me that with such an open OS, and all the apps written, there's no way to test them all and lock-ups/crashes almost can't be avoided.

I use Blackberry for work and don't load any apps, I never have a problem. My wife uses very basic apps (facebook mostly) and her droid is constantly having issues (we've replaced it once and reset it several times). My son was using the droid with the same problems as my wife, he upgraded to iPhone and hasn't complained of any issues.
Strength in numbers...the numbers of devices available, the number of manufacturer to choose from and what it costs to acquire an Android phone. Android has surpassed iPhone in sales last November and from the looks of it it's gaining ground though mostly at the expense of Nokia, RIM, Palm/HP, and Microsoft.

Android comprised 43.4% of 107 million smartphones sold in Q2 of the year which is an amazing feat in a 3 year span. I mean it's kinda scary how Android only had 36% market share in Q1. It won't be long before Android sales will be at Apple's expense too.

Sure, Apple has a dedicated user base but what of the less dedicated users which make up for the vast majority of their sales? Why wouldn't they pickup the Galaxy S II from Samsung? It certainly is more feature rich and as polished if not more so than iPhone 4. iPhone sales isn't growing as fast which to me indicates the novelty and innovation of it is no longer an advantage they can count on. The iPhone will still sell but the time will tell if they will suffer the same fate as the rest of the mobile companies who are slowly bleeding to death and from a developer standpoint their is no contest as to which platform is easier to develop applications for and it is after all about the Apps.

Motorola is 3rd tier Android phone manufacturer. Now that Google has bought Motorola's Mobility division I expect it to get way way way better.

The monster is at the fcking door! It was first Microsoft Windows and now it's Google Android.

-Jenkins

Last edited by saden1; 08-25-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:17 PM   #11
mlmpetert
Playmaker

^ Very sad to hear about Jobs, he truly was a innovator.

Im a android guy. Ive had the original droid and now im on a droid 2 after having several in-between. The original was the best in terms of things not crashing and other clunky type issues. It was also far and away the best in terms of not coming loaded down with bloatware. The problem is that’s its slow compared to newer phones.

Andriod is great. The problem is phone companies put a bootloader on top of android to customize it. I think this is the reason some apps work for some phones with no problem and crash for other phones. I think its also the reason you absolutely cannot get rid of some of the bloatware apps (ie blockbuster and amazon). A lot of the original techie guys that adopted droid are really really pissed about the bootloader issue and especially the phone manufactures that lock it due to pressure by phone carriers. Motorola locks their boot loader. After pressure HTC stopped locking theirs to much fan fare. Im thinking (and hoping) Google’s purchase of Motorola is to take control back and let the phones be what they were initially intended to be, customizable droid powered phones that arnt filled with all sorts of crap and clunky UI’s that cant ever be changed.

Saying that I rarely have problems with my phone. I also cant do iphone because it doesnt have a qwerty keyboard.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #12
MTK
\m/

I think Apple is going to be fine. They're very well established as a company and in the past few years since he's been sick I don't think Jobs had as significant of a role as he did previously, so I think the transition has already been taking place for some time.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #13
MTK
\m/

Anyone else bite the bullet on the new iPhone 4S?

I still have the 3G so I'm looking forward to the upgrade.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #14
hooskins
Most Interesting Man in the World

A few folks at work did. It is kinda cool but not really much better than the 4.

Compared to the 3, there is definitely some change. Also I heard iOS5 isnt compatible with 3.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #15
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
A few folks at work did. It is kinda cool but not really much better than the 4.

Compared to the 3, there is definitely some change. Also I heard iOS5 isnt compatible with 3.
I just bought the 4 from Verizon back in March, a couple months before they got rid of the upgrade discount for customers. I'm gonna put IOS5 on there but definitely not upgrading. People asked me why I didn't wait for the 4S to come out and it was because both of my old phones had cracked screens and I didn't want to wait any longer because I couldn't figure out incoming calls.