Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

do you speed?

Parking Lot

Old 04-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
MTK
\m/

do you speed?

Driving to work this morning I have the cruise set at 75 and I'm in the middle lane. Meanwhile I've got people passing me on both sides like I'm standing still. I start thinking... #1 what's the goddam hurry? Is everyone in such a rush to get to work? #2 does anyone worry about getting a ticket? #3 what happened to everyone driving slower to try to save on gas? I guess that went out the window once gas prices came back down to more reasonable levels.

So my question is, how fast do you normally drive on the highway?

Advertisements
Old 04-10-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Re: do you speed?

Depending on the circumstances, anywhere between 65 and 90. My wife thinks I drive like a lunatic.

The longer the drive, the faster I generally go. Once, while travelling to the beach (a six hour drive), I saw what I thought was a temperture gauge fluctuating between 95-98 and commented "wow, it's pretty warm outside". My wife gave me a long suffering "duh" look and said "that's a speed guage you idiot".

During the gas crunch, I did lower my speed significantly. I have consciously tried to slow down but I have been such a habitual speeder for so long that I have a hard time keeping it down. Am I afraid of getting a ticket? Yup, but I figure if I go with traffic I will be fine. It's when I am streaking down 95 at 75-80 by myself that I get worried. If I am out by myself on the road (i.e. no other traffic), I find it easier to keep it in the 60-65 range.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
jamf
Pro Bowl

If no traffic, I would say 75 to 95.

1) That how fast you need to go if you want to stay in the first 3 lanes.
2) YES! in my previous 16 years of driving I had 1 ticket for an Illegal lane change, In January, I got two! One for illegal lane change in rush hour traffic and another for speading in a school zone, 30 in a 25...
3)I Kinda go with the flow. I don't change lanes often or pass people on the right but you do have keep moving to avoid problems out here.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
mredskins
Gamebreaker

I am not a speeder and get harassed by my family for being a old lady driver. The thing is when I am driving and start day dreaming I slow down without thinking about it. Never in my 35 years have I got a speeding ticket or been in a car accident, knock on wood.

I will admit in my early twenties I drove more then a few times after one to many. I am ashmad of it now and glad I never killed anyone with my stupidity.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I go about 75-80 on the highway. I generally try to use the middle lane as well.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

Simply answered, Yes I do speed. For me, it depends on where I am, what road I'm on and if I've been there before.

I know I-270 like the back of my hand, so I have no problem doing 75, 80, even 85 miles an hour in the left lane because I know where the cops like to sit and adjust my speed (and lane) accordingly. Most highways, I'm pretty comfortable going 10-20 over. Heading to the beach for example, I know that if I have to slow down (certain towns in Delaware and Maryland), I can make up for it in the 1st half of my trip on the highways.

Other roads, I tend to do 10-15 over if the speed limit is above 35. If it's 35 and below, I try to stay within 5 mph, especially in speed camera friendly MoCo.

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris

Last edited by BDBohnzie; 04-10-2009 at 09:52 AM.
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Simply answered, Yes I do speed. For me, it depends on where I am, what road I'm on and if I've been there before.

I know I-270 like the back of my hand, so I have no problem doing 75, 80, even 85 miles an hour in the left lane because I know where the cops like to sit and adjust my speed (and lane) accordingly. Most highways, I'm pretty comfortable going 10-20 over. Heading to the beach for example, I know that if I have to slow down (certain towns in Delaware and Maryland), I can make up for it in the 1st half of my trip on the highways.

Other roads, I tend to do 10-15 over if the speed limit is above 35. If it's 35 and below, I try to stay within 5 mph, especially in speed camera friendly MoCo.
Yeah what is up with all the speed cameras there lately. I went home for the weekend a couple of months ago and in the course of 12 hours I got two speeding tickets (thanks to those cameras). One on River Road and one on Democracy. Both times going 46 in a 35 (just one mph too fast)
Old 04-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
ArtMonkDrillz
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Yeah what is up with all the speed cameras there lately. I went home for the weekend a couple of months ago and in the course of 12 hours I got two speeding tickets (thanks to those cameras). One on River Road and one on Democracy. Both times going 46 in a 35 (just one mph too fast)
It's getting really annoying back in the home county. There are 2 sets of them in Olney, which isn't that big of a place. They're both right by schools, which I suppose is good, but everyone knows where they are so they just speed up to them, slam on their brakes, crawl past, and then speed off. To me it seems like it's setting up an even more dangerous situation and I wouldn't be shocked to find that the number of rear end collisions are much higher in areas with lots of speed and red light cameras.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #9
firstdown
Living Legend

Most I drive over the limit is around 5mph life is too short to rush. Now when I'm on a trip driving on 95 I keep my speed up with the trafic which is usually 10 to 15 mph over the limit. In my business I love people with tickets because it increases their insurance and my commission.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:32 AM   #10
saden1
MVP

I use to drive against traffic and after getting ambushed by camping cops with radar guns 3 times in two months I quit speeding. Messed up insurance rate big time. My strategy now is to hover around 5 mph above the speed limit and go no more than 10 mph above the limited.

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #11
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Nope, unless I'm heading to Baltimore on 83 and have to in order to stay alive.

In towns and on local highways, I try to always abide by the speed limit, even if I have a idiot behind me screaming and waving their hands like a crazy person. In fact, that's fun and makes me adhere even more closely...I'll stick the needle right on 35 (or the limit) and flash a smile in my rear-view.

Some people need to be taught patience.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:08 AM   #12
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Nope, unless I'm heading to Baltimore on 83 and have to in order to stay alive.

In towns and on local highways, I try to always abide by the speed limit, even if I have a idiot behind me screaming and waving their hands like a crazy person. In fact, that's fun and makes me adhere even more closely...I'll stick the needle right on 35 (or the limit) and flash a smile in my rear-view.

Some people need to be taught patience.
Man I hate that, if someone is riding my ass in residential area where the limit is 30 or 35 most times I'll ease off the gas by a good 5 mph just to piss them off even more.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #13
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Most DUIs, drug busts, and everything else happen because the cop pulled the person over for speeding.
If you're on I-95 going through VA don't speed. If you get caught going 90 they'll throw you in jail for ten days. If you don't have your seat belt on that's another ticket too. They usually go after truckers, larger automobiles, and the really big tickets. The bigger the bust the bigger the boost.

I don't speed unless it's an emergency. Death will find me one way or the other, why go searching for it?
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #14
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I think the current speed limit is a joke. This only applies to the big highways, such as 66. They're long, straight, and cars today are capable of handling much faster speeds than when the typical 55 was put into place. I understand not everyone is as comfortable going that fast -- and that's fine. Just stay in the right lane. There's a reason there are fewer accidents on the Autobahn, staying to the right is strictly enforced unless you're passing.

I'm really glad a lot of states are trying to ticket people for going too slow (10MPH under the speed limit). That can be at least, if not more dangerous than going fast. What we really need to do is change driving laws to get the elderly, who happen to be the most deadly demographic on the road, into the DMV yearly for driving tests.

My above comments only count to larger highways. City/towns I don't speed, too many chances for a kid/etc to hop out into the road. On 66 I typically cruise between 75-80.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #15
BDBohnzie
Playmaker

VA State Troopers are definitely sticklers for the speed limit, and setting up elaborate traps to catch said speeders...

@SS, AMD - Yeah, the speed cameras are MoCo's way to make the county some serious coin. There isn't a time I go by those things that i don't see the flash go off because people still don't slow down. And if you are going to have them, why set the 10 MPH buffer? Doesn't that just give people the excuse that it's ok to go over the speed limit?

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote