Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-15-2004, 07:54 PM   #1
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Forget Trotter, why not drop Samuels?

From another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyredskin63
i think that samuels is gone unless he restructures anyway.i call it as i see it,he has played like complete $hit the last two years.
I agree with this.

Here are the numbers:

........... 2004.. ... 2004/2005 ... 2004/2005 ...

Samuels ... $7,386 ... $6,761/$0 ... $2,254/$4,508
Trotter ... $3,862 ... $5,808/$0 ... $1,162/$4,648

- The 1st column is the player's 2004 cap hit.
- The 2nd column is the player's cap hit in 04/05 if he is cut/traded prior to June 1st (unlikely).
- The 3rd column is the player's cap hit in 04/05 if he is cut/traded after June 1st.

These are my best estimates. I've seen Samuels cap numbers listed elsewhere and they were even higher. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

As you can see, if we cut Trotter we'll save $2.7M against the 2004 cap. If we drop Samuels we'll save $5.1M against the 2004 cap. The 2005 cap will be basically unaffected either way.

So would you rather have Trotter and $5.1M extra to spend, or Samuels and $2.7M?
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-15-2004, 08:07 PM   #2
Carnage
Special Teams

This is certainly an astute analysis, but you can't buy starting left tackles.
Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 08:08 PM   #3
Ghost
Special Teams

Great idea except it leaves us with a little problem at LT, doesn't it? My guess is they'll eat Samuels' salary this year, see how he plays, and then make a decision about whether he should be cut or asked to renegotiate. I hope they keep Trotter too. You can't fix all the problems in one year.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 08:14 PM   #4
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

man, add cannuck to staff, best number cruncher around!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 08:24 PM   #5
MTK
\m/

But we have to consider that with a lefty at QB now, Jansen just became our most important lineman as he will be protecting Brunell's blindside.

Samuels has been very disappointing the last two seasons. If Sexton is serious about playing hardball and won't renegotiate his deal unless Ramsey is traded than the 'Skins are going to be in a difficult situation cap wise. Getting rid of Samuels might become a very real option.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 09:25 PM   #6
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

You all make valid points, especially Daseal.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 09:44 PM   #7
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

First time anyone has ever agreed with me on this board!

I must say, you've singlehandedly changed my view on Canadians!
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 09:54 PM   #8
Redskins_P
Fight for old DC!

Anyone remember Brandon Winey from last year? He did a decent job while Samuels was injured. I think we can trade Samuels and get some draft picks.
Redskins_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 10:16 PM   #9
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

or draft that guy gallery from Iowa St. I think it is if he's available and cut/trade samuels but only if he won't rework his contract. I think there would be teams out there willing to trade atleast 2nd & 3rd rounders for samuels or possibly even a 1st since like someone said LT is a very important o-lineman for a team with a right-handed qb.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 10:49 PM   #10
MTK
\m/

Galley is probably going top 5, perhaps to the Giants. Seems like a Coughlin pick to me.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 11:15 PM   #11
EEich
The Starter

I think Samuels is fine this year... but next year he'll have to renegotiate or get cut. We should draft Taylor this year. We have a full boat of draft picks next year and should be able to find a replacement OT in that draft.
EEich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 12:44 AM   #12
offiss

IMO whiney out played samuel's when he had the chance, and there you have it, the way samuel's played he should take a pay cut, but is he? no! I would like to think gibb's will have a real positive effect on samuels, but I don't know if his presence can make samuel's any quicker, he was slow as molasas last season.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 01:10 AM   #13
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Give Samuels a year with Gibbs and Bugel before you dump him. He's got pro-bowl talent. No one looked good under Spurrier/Helton. Plus he was nicked up. I look for a resurgance this year.

You gotta pay someone. He's relatively young and definetely talented. He just needs someone to light a fire under his ass, and Bugel is just the man to spark the match.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:57 AM   #14
AnonEmouse
The Starter

I agree - see what Gibbs et all can do with the line and O in general, before we start throwing good players out with the trash.

Also consider that whilst Brunell is a lefty and may well start, there's every chance Ramsey will be playing some next year. I would rather have Samuels in there than Winey.

However, if he doesn't pick up and won't renegotiate, trade/release him next off season and draft a replacement.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 10:55 AM   #15
Defensewins
Playmaker

No offensive lineman is worth a $10M cap figure. A QB maybe, but not an offensive lineman no.
I am starting to get sick of the Redskins poor handling of the cap. Every year we are overspending our future and ask good, loyal players to take a pay cut, so we can compensate for our poor planning.
Samuels and Arrington's big cap numbers is money that is owed to them because they agreed to help the team out by taking a lower cap number early in their career/contract, in exchange for a big payday later in their contract. However when the time comes for the big pay day, the Redskins (and other NFL teams) say sorry we have no cap space, either take a pay cut or get cut. They do this because the Redskins live in a win now at whtever the cost in the future.
In the real business world your credibility and your business would be ruined if you behaved like that. However, since the NFL lives and works in a Monopoly situation, they can do whatever they want, and tell the talented, loyal players to f*#* off.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote