Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Kenny Holmes

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-13-2004, 01:23 AM   #1
Ghost
Special Teams

Kenny Holmes

The Skins are considering making an offer to defensive end Kenny Holmes, with the Giants of late but before that with Gregg Williams and the Titans. He's not quite Kevon Kearse but I'd feel better about the DL if we signed Holmes. Supposedly he wouldn't cost us too much.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-13-2004, 01:52 AM   #2
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I havent heard of him, but if hes gonna be a cheap way to help us, I'm 100% behind it.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 02:05 AM   #3
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Holmes is decent. Not great, but decent. Don't know anything about this other guy, Ralph Brown.

What I'm trying to figure out is why the obsession with Giants players? Griffin, Barrow, Short, Holmes, Brown
Old 03-13-2004, 02:45 AM   #4
SittingBull
Camp Scrub

Looks like we want New York teams to hate us. Last year the Jets and this year more personal with the Giants. Maybe since our secondary coach worked for the Giants the last two years and can give Gibbs or Williams the inside scoop on their work ethic and attitude has something to do with it.
SittingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 03:00 AM   #5
offiss

Holmes would be a waste of any money, that is not a signing that will help, he's dead weight.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 08:15 AM   #6
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by smootsmack
Holmes is decent. Not great, but decent. Don't know anything about this other guy, Ralph Brown.

What I'm trying to figure out is why the obsession with Giants players? Griffin, Barrow, Short, Holmes, Brown
Our secondary coach is a former Giants defensive assistant.
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 11:35 AM   #7
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

Plus, any time you can get good talent from a division rival, it's that much better. Take away from them (+1) and add to your team (+1)=+2 vs. Giants.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 12:13 PM   #8
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

It really depends on the price. Holmes was pretty good in Tenn, and not bad last year. His numbers were down because of a knee problem. Maybe he'll be a bargain?

I'm glad they're at least looking at the D-line again, even if Holmes isn't the guy.
Old 03-13-2004, 02:53 PM   #9
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Holmes had a monster "contract year" in Tennessee and went to NY with the expectation that he was "Jevon Kearse-Lite". No one realistically expected him to be another Kearse, but they did expect him to be force at DE. His tenure in NY was mediocrity - and nothing more.

Was he in a scheme that did not fit him? Possible.

Did he have a problem with the coaching there that might be remedied by a reunion with Gregg Williams? Possible.

Is he merely a mediocre DE who had one really good year with Jevon Kearse getting a boatload of attention on the other side of the line? Possible.

Since none of the DEs on the Redskins' roster at the moment do not exceed "mediocre", he could be a help if he took the place of one of the DEs that is "sub-standard". I would not pay a lot of money for Holmes.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 03:19 PM   #10
MTK
\m/

He's better than our current group of DE's that's for sure.

I hope the FO has something up their sleeve for picking up a decent DE, because as we stand now I don't see anyone that will be able to pressure the QB consistently.
MTK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 04:54 PM   #11
Defensewins
Playmaker

Mattyk72,
Kenny Holmes is a one dimensional DE, so he would not be an improvement over Wynn, Phillips or Upshaw. I have followed DE Kenny Holmes carrer since his days at U. of Miami, and at 265 pounds he is a good pass rusher. His weakness is he is not very good at stopping the run.
So Holmes could fill the need/role of pass rusher, platooning him with Phillip Daniels, Renaldo Wynn and Reagan Upshaw. But he is by no means a full time DE. He would get run over by power running teams, which is why the Giants aren't in a hurry to resign him.
Holmes came out of U. of Miami the same year another Miami Alum DE Kennard Lang came to us. They were the two best DE's that year and the Skins had to decide which one they wanted to draft w/ their 1st round pick. They chose Kenard because he was more of a run stopper and pash rusher.
Skins considered Kenard Lang more of a complete DE.
So it would be a bit ironic if Holmes ends up here.

Last edited by Defensewins; 03-13-2004 at 04:57 PM.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 06:37 PM   #12
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

So, who's left out there that is an upgrade AND is someone we can afford? It may be that Holmes-like players are the best we're gonna do, given that we decided not to pay the big money for Kearse and Wistrom.

Let's hope the Williams scheme can get the most out of what we've got!
Old 03-13-2004, 06:42 PM   #13
Ghost
Special Teams

And there's always the draft ... if an unexpected player falls to #5, you never know, someone might pull a Mike Ditka on us. OK, that probably won't ever happen again in our lifetimes but if someone gives us an offer we can't refuse, I sure hope we can find a way to get Wilfork or Udeze or someone to help us on the DL. We sure look thin right now.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 08:42 PM   #14
MTK
\m/

Checking out Holmes' career stats I'm not very impressed though. His season high in sacks was 8, and he has 38.5 career sacks in the seven seasons he's played. Yawn.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/3647
Old 03-13-2004, 08:44 PM   #15
MTK
\m/

Maybe we can hope that Taylor or Winlsow slip into the latter part of the top 10, and we can trade down and grab one of them and pick up a DE later on.