Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

There is a report that Patrick Johnson is going to TB

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-11-2004, 03:56 AM   #1
RedskinPete
The Starter

There is a report that Patrick Johnson is going to TB

The Bucs have signed nine free agents and all but one on offense. Bucs GM Bruce Allen hopes to sign Johnson today or by weeks end. Were dose this leave us at that spot?
RedskinPete is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-11-2004, 05:56 AM   #2
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Should be OK. We have Coles, Gardner, Jacobs, McCants (though he's an RFA), Russell and the guy with the NFLE (Cloman?). Plus there'll be FA's and undrafted FA's available should we need depth. Our only worry is if McCants gets signed to another team and/or one of the starters goes down. The latter is always a risk, so I don't think about it.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 06:02 AM   #3
dieselhog
Special Teams

All the reports I read indicated that Tampa were so tight against the cap that they could hardly move. How have they managed to create so much cap room? I know Sapp's contract is big $ but officially he is still under contract and the space needs to be there BEFORE new players are brought in, or at least so I thought.

The reason being that Laveranous' contract was delayed last year until we re-worked Arrington's. Or is that just for restricted free agents and creating enough room for the offer sheet.

The whole damn cap is pretty confusing. It seems to give GMs license to lie through their teeth.
dieselhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 11:23 AM   #4
MTK
\m/

I'm not really worried about losing PJ, though he was a nice contributor on ST.
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 03:34 PM   #5
skins009
Impact Rookie

I kind of hope somebody signs McCants so we can get a 5th round pick. We have a lot of good recievers and I think the offense would be better benifitted by another good blocking tightend which you can still find in the fifth round.
skins009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 03:39 PM   #6
Ade Jimoh Fan Club
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins009
I kind of hope somebody signs McCants so we can get a 5th round pick. We have a lot of good recievers and I think the offense would be better benifitted by another good blocking tightend which you can still find in the fifth round.

Rasby is our blocking TE - I say we keep McCants around, he's much better than a 5th.
Ade Jimoh Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 04:57 PM   #7
jsarno
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade Jimoh Fan Club
I say we keep McCants around, he's much better than a 5th.
Yes, yes, 100 times yes. McCants is just scratching at the surface of his talent. I can see him being better than Gardner this year if given the chance.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:32 PM   #8
EEich
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins009
Really? Do you think it's likely we'd find somebody in the 5th round that has McCants' ability? I don't. Sure, once in a while you'll find a diamond in the rough that can contribute in year one... but you don't expect to find a goal-line weapon like Darnerian. He was one of the few bright spots in our anemic offense last year. Tied for the team lead in TDs with Coles (6). He'd be a good #2 receiver for most teams and will be great in Gibbs' three WR sets. I really hope we can keep him.
EEich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 10:34 PM   #9
Scott
Special Teams

McCants is much less of a risk than hoping to get something better out of the fifth round. He is the exact type of guy Gibbs wants on the team..."A True Redskin"
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 12:14 AM   #10
beg8878
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
I'm not really worried about losing PJ, though he was a nice contributor on ST.
All I remember is his muffing that punt in Miami, I was at that game....talking nonsense to all the dolphins fans until the 4th qtr came and we choked the game away. Punctuated by PJ fumbling the punt to give us one last chance. I know the game wasn't his fault and he did make SOME contributions this season, but if we lose him it is no big deal, there are a million Pat Johnsons in this league.
beg8878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 12:53 AM   #11
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselhog
How have they managed to create so much cap room? I know Sapp's contract is big $ but officially he is still under contract and the space needs to be there BEFORE new players are brought in, or at least so I thought.

I'm pretty sure Sapp is an unrestricted free agent and doesn't count anything against the cap and they will be freeing up more room when Lynch is offically cut in the next day or 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEich
Really? Do you think it's likely we'd find somebody in the 5th round that has McCants' ability? I don't. Sure, once in a while you'll find a diamond in the rough that can contribute in year one... but you don't expect to find a goal-line weapon like Darnerian.
we drafted mccants in the 5th round if memory serves me right but I agree with keeping him because, while I don't see him being a #1 quality reciever anytime in his career, he has the chance to be a very solid #2 or 3 WR.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 01:00 AM   #12
EEich
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanthru&thru
we drafted mccants in the 5th round if memory serves me right but I agree with keeping him because, while I don't see him being a #1 quality reciever anytime in his career, he has the chance to be a very solid #2 or 3 WR.
I know that. My point was that you can't go into the fifth round expecting to find a stud. It's hit or miss. Darnerian was a rare hit.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:44 AM   #13
cpayne5
Playmaker

I think that with this coaching staff, there will be more hits than misses in the later rounds than we're used to.
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 08:58 AM   #14
EEich
The Starter

I hope so. Our late rounds haven't been very successful over the past few years:

Here are our late round selections since 2000... not one starter:
(7) QB Gibrad Hamdan

(5) DB Andre Lott
(5) TE Robert Royal
(6) OT Reggie Coleman
(7) LS Jeff Grau
(7) DE Greg Scott
(7) FB Rock Cartwright

(5) WR Darnerian McCants
(6) DT Mario Monds

(5) S Quincy Sanders
(6) QB Todd Husak
(7) DT Delbert Cowsette
(7) WR Ethan Howell
Old 03-12-2004, 12:03 PM   #15
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

I still can't believe we got such a stud of a player like the Rock in the 7TH!! round.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote