Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Are we keeping #5?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-10-2004, 06:39 AM   #1
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Question Are we keeping #5?

Look like coach Gibbs has confirmed that unless the Skins get an offer they can't refuse for the #5 pick then we'll be using it. Strong favourite pick is Taylor.

Anyone believe this is a smokescreen?

I for one hope they pick up Taylor. With an improved pass rush and a better D scheme and coach, I think a big hitter in the secondary could be a real boost for us.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-10-2004, 07:16 AM   #2
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

I think it's hard to pass up Taylor or Winslow at this pick. Either one of these kids can really make a difference right away. I think he wants instant players because he probably won't be here THAT long. And correct me if I'm wrong, a lot of DEs take a few years to develop. It hink Taylor or Winslow will be ours with the 5th.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 07:41 AM   #3
backrow
The Starter

HOF Coach Gibbs!

HOF Coach Gibbs has the right attitude! Unless someone steps up and throws us a monster deal, I'd stay at #5. I don't believe there are any deals out there that would do that, but I wouldn't be particularly surprised.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:44 AM   #4
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

The Texans might give us a lot for Taylor, and there's a possibility Winslow would drop that low (very slim chance)
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 08:47 AM   #5
cpayne5
Playmaker

I don't think the Texans would make a huge deal. They would make a fair deal, but not a hugely advantageous (to us) one.
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 12:14 PM   #6
backrow
The Starter

I've heard Detroit!

I've heard Detroit is really interested in Taylor. What would it take to move back a spot?

According to the Draft Pick Value Chart at http://www.footballcorner.bizland.co...ValueChart.jpg

we sit at a value of 1700, Detroit at 1600. Can we say: 1st, 3rd, & 6th?
Old 03-10-2004, 12:19 PM   #7
cpayne5
Playmaker

I'd defininitely swap back one spot (ala the Ditka deal in 99). But I'd ask for more than one pick. Maybe 2 2nd rounders or something. How much I'd ask for would depend on how interested they are in Taylor.
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 03:45 PM   #8
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Seems to me it's win/win here. We're in a position to take one of two great prospects, both at postions we need. Or, someother team will step up with a sweet deal, and we'll get more draft help in other areas. Of course Gibbs is going to say we're gonna pick at #5, no matter what we really want to do. When it became clear we had to move Champ, we lost leverage and had to deal a 2nd rounder. This time, we get to set the price! Gibbs Rules.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:02 PM   #9
Mikey
Camp Scrub

Taylor would be great. Winslow would also be a good pick up, but I don't see his talents necessarily fitting in well with the 'Skins (Donnie Warren comes to mind as the prototypical TE in the Gibbs system. #85 was a great blocker. Winslow is a great athlete, but he seems more concerned with getting downfield in the passing game).

Not that I think this can be answered in the draft, but a major concern that doesn't seem to have been addressed is the pass rush. While I think Springs will certainly be a good compliment to Smoot in the defensive backfield, I think the absence of Champ is going to make the 'Skins' deficiencies in the pass rush appear more glaring. There would seem to be even less margin for error this season in that department without a shut down corner (no disrespect to either Smoot or Springs).
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote