Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot

If you could have one back.

Parking Lot

Old 11-08-2007, 02:06 PM   #1
KLHJ2
Inactive

If you could have one back.

We have all heard this phrase before "I bet he wishes he could get that one back". It is the phrase we usually hear right after a bad play or a missed opportunity in sports.

If I had to answer this one personally it would be tough. Do I go with the back to back 9 routes that I droped as a sophmore, which would have been TD's? Well, maybe as a close second, but I think I would have to take back my one rushing carry as a senior. Nevermind why it was my only carry that season, or that I wasn't a TB. It was the rest of scenario that made it dramatically more significant. It was my last year of playing football. We were losing to our District Rival. It was my first opportunity to step on the field that season.

My name is called out from my head coach on the sideline. He tells me that I am going in at TB and gives me the play. In my head I realize that the play is designed for me to take it off Tackle Strong Side. I sprint the play into the huddle as if it is the most significant event in my life. The QB calls the play and the Huddle breaks. We get lined up and the QB goes through his cadence. During the next few seconds time slows down and the ball is snapped. I jap step left and begin running to the right eventually taking the handoff from the QB. In my mind I am thinking "stay with the play design". There is nothing there, but I stay with the play design. There is enough room to drive 4 trucks down the right side of the field, but I stay disciplined to the play design. I pound it right between the tackle and the TE. I am met at the line of scrimmage and surge foreward a little before being taken down for a gain of only one. As I am getting up I ask myself "why didn't I bounce it outside?" Apparently, my team mates and coaches were wondering the same thing. As I trot back to the sideline I can see the look of disgust in my coach's face. It was the first and last time that I would step onto the field or touch the football during the regular season that year. I blew it. If only I could have had that one back, maybe the remainder of my senior season would have been different.

If you could have one back, what would it be?
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-08-2007, 02:15 PM   #2
MTK
\m/

Re: If you could have one back.

Good thread.

I can't point out one specific moment, I just wish I would have stuck with playing sports all through high school. By 10th grade my desire to have my own car outweighed my desire to keep playing basketball and football and to this day I really regret not playing all the way up through varsity.

Instead I got a job and worked nights and weekends for my car. I guess I probably learned some valuable lessons in doing that too, but I wish I would have just realized that I had the rest of my life to work... and sports is something you have a small window of opportunity with.

It just sucks when you're young that sometimes it's really tough to appreciate things like that. I remember hating practice, now I would die to be able to just strap on the pads one more time and be able to hit someone.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Good thread.

I can't point out one specific moment, I just wish I would have stuck with playing sports all through high school. By 10th grade my desire to have my own car outweighed my desire to keep playing basketball and football and to this day I really regret not playing all the way up through varsity.

Instead I got a job and worked nights and weekends for my car. I guess I probably learned some valuable lessons in doing that too, but I wish I would have just realized that I had the rest of my life to work... and sports is something you have a small window of opportunity with.

It just sucks when you're young that sometimes it's really tough to appreciate things like that. I remember hating practice, now I would die to be able to just strap on the pads one more time and be able to hit someone.
I made a similar mistake my junior year. I quit before the season was over just to work at Chuckee Cheese. That was a boneheaded move as well.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Great thread. Tough to answer. I've been awesome all my life...

Seriously though, I guess I'd like to have back that pitch I threw that hit the batter in the bottom of the 7th inning (HS games were only 7 innings at my school) with the bases loaded to walk in the winning run and knock us out of the playoffs.

What really sucked was we lost the game 1-0. What really really sucked was that was my last High School game. What really really really sucked was that I actually pitched a complete game no-hitter.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:08 PM   #5
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post

Seriously though, I guess I'd like to have back that pitch I threw that hit the batter in the bottom of the 7th inning (HS games were only 7 innings at my school) with the bases loaded to walk in the winning run and knock us out of the playoffs.

What really sucked was we lost the game 1-0. What really really sucked was that was my last High School game. What really really really sucked was that I actually pitched a complete game no-hitter.
No Hitter! You hit the batter!
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
dmek25
MVP

this is easy for me. i had three different tryouts, one with the Phillie's, and two with Baltimore, before i graduated. i had the attitude that i was good enough. and really didn't do the things you needed to do to succeed. i wish i could have head a different mindset, to see if i could have made it
Old 11-08-2007, 03:23 PM   #7
firstdown
Living Legend

I was a scratch golfer when I was a sophmore in high school. I was always paired up against the lowest handicap of the other team even though it was my first year playing on the team. I lead our team in scoring and most other catigories for the year and the coach gave some senior hack player of the year. I would not play for him the following year and golf fadded as girls and cars took over. I'l never know how far I could have gone if I just kept playing. I started playing again about 10 years ago but I'm no where close to what I was when younger.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:49 PM   #8
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I wouldnt have played defensive tackle my senior year at 165 pounds...my season was over 4 practices in.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:04 PM   #9
BrudLee
Playmaker

I would have learned to spell my girlfriends' names.

For about a three month period, I was dating a girl named Kristie. I was also dating a girl named Christie. Though one may think this would make such deception easier, one would be mistaken. Anytime there was written correspondence, I was screwed - and since this was in a pre-cell phone era (1991, IIRC), I was a note writing fiend.

"Hey, you spelled my name wrong again..."
Old 11-08-2007, 06:28 PM   #10
Schneed10
A Dude

I was a swimmer in high school and college. My junior year of high school we had a big meet, we were 7-0 and our opponent was 7-0, so this meet would essentially decide our league champion. There's not a lot of strategy in swimming, it's pretty much get on the blocks and see who can go faster. But I was swimming the 200 free, which is 8 laps for you non-swimming folk; it's not quite a sprint distance, and definitely not a long distance.

The meet was close, I was our #1 in the 200 free, and I knew my opponent because we had faced off as we came up through club swimming over the years. I knew that he was the kind of guy that tended to fade at the end of the race, so I decided to take a steady pace in the beginning, and try to toast him in the end. So he got out ahead of me by a body length or so, and I just cruised for the first half of the race. Then at the end I turned it on and I started to catch up, but he held on and won by about a foot. Thing is, I was barely tired. I had left a lot of effort in the pool. If I could have it back, I woulda gone balls out from the beginning.

But chalk that up to being 16. I didn't make that mistake again. And we ended up winning the meet anyway because we had Brendan Hansen on our team (yes, the current World Record holder in the 100 and 200 breaststroke), so it was all good. But I woulda liked to be the hero there!
Old 11-08-2007, 06:33 PM   #11
Schneed10
A Dude

I have other take-backs. They relate to girls. Two of my college swim teammates actually. One really liked me, and I liked her a ton too, because she was hot. I liked hot. Imagine that.

I was also semi interested in another one, who was good looking, but not as hot as girl number one. We were all partying one night, and despite getting crazy good vibes from girl number one, in all my drunken wisdom I went home with girl number two. She was boring in bed. Plus annoying when sober. Girl number one then went on to start dating someone else the very next week, and stayed with him all the way until I had graduated.

If I could have that one back, I'd nail the hot one!
Old 11-08-2007, 11:42 PM   #12
KLHJ2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post

Was it a breaking ball that got away from you, a wild fastball, or did he just step into the damn thing?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:57 PM   #13
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryssg View Post
Was it a breaking ball that got away from you, a wild fastball, or did he just step into the damn thing?
A slider that slid way too low and hit him on the ankle
Old 11-09-2007, 01:58 AM   #14
EternalEnigma21
Assistant Regional Mod

I played both ways (football... ) in jr high and began doing the same in high school. I was all district DE my sophomore year, and in the third game against Hardin Jefferson (district rival for some reason) I got put in at tight end. I ran a drag route and saw a corner closing as the ball was thrown, and instead of catching the ball and using my body to get leverage, or trying to make a move, I turned and knocked the shit out of the corner who was going to try to kill me...

the ball bounced off of my side as I was exploding into this short little kid knocking the snot out of him.

I'll never forget the many, "what the hell was that???" looks I got from everyone... even the other team's players... I don't know what came over me, but I believe it was the reason I didn't get to play offense, and I really wanted to. I just had a defender's mentality, I guess...

I played TE a few more times, but our QB only looked to me once more for a moderate gain (albeit I did catch the next ball even getting creamed) but mostly blocking for our excellent stable of running backs.

I can remember some pretty bad whiffed tackles and a few misreads where I'd tackle a tailback who didn't have a ball, or go for a QB that had just handed it off, letting a tailback by, but I always made enough great plays so that all was forgiven after a few screaming curses from coach Green...
Old 11-09-2007, 07:43 AM   #15
Sammy Baugh Fan
Playmaker

I would have taken my car and not my Harley the night I was hit and run and left for dead.
But, you can't get one back so I cope and move forward with my 1 step...at a time.

Good thread